The Mentalist

Red All Over

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 29, 2010 on CBS

• The team's investigation of a media conglomerate's newly appointed CEO leads it to a self-help group and its leader.

Is there another term involving red or a homonym thereof the producers could have used as a title, since they already used "Red Herring"? Depending on your point of view, the self-visualization group was either a huge McGuffin or a possible foreshadowing of the season finale. Like season one's "Miss Red," the pace of this episode seemed accelerated compared to your average episode of The Mentalist. Jane names a suspect in the teaser in a manner that displays both his observation skills and his flair for the dramatic, and Cho interrogates her in the first scene after the titles with the new boss watching. No time wasted there. Eventually, Jane and Cho visit a self-visualization group that was to be the subject of an investigation the murder victim's newspaper was planning to run, and its leader (Malcolm McDowell), who's playing games from the start. This, contrary to what the previews would have you believe, was not the focus of the episode, but it helped fill the hour pretty well, as I wasn't bored and the motive (if not necessarily the identity) of the killer caught me completely me off-guard. Two highlights of this episode for me were the bomb scene, where Lisbon takes action independent of, and contrary to, Jane's advice and it pays off and the scene where the self-visualization group's leader brings up Jane's murdered family and Lisbon backs Jane up unreservedly. Hopefully, he's not Red John himself. With only a few new episodes left this season, the show has definitely recovered from killing off Boscoe too soon and continues to display the lessons it's learned from season one.