The Mentalist

Red Is The New Black

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Feb 02, 2012 on CBS

• Red John is left handed

In this episode agent Darcy investigates more into the Panzer murder visiting Rosalind and the morgue resulting in Red John visiting Rosalind and killing the morgue attendant in her house.The writers also leave a clue showing Red John drinking tea with his left hand which is more than likely he/she is left handed.This season is showing more of Red John because Red John didn't kill anyone in season 3 he was only mentioned.This episode is also building up to the season finale
  • Red is the New Black

I like the fact that they are continuing the Red John mystery. As satisfying as the third season finale was, I like the fact that they found a way to keep it going here. Unfortunately, the main case this week was a clunker, and even Patrick Jane himself could not find a way to make it interesting or make me really care about it.
  • Perfectly balanced episode and among the best of the season. (Mostly spoiler-free)

Before I review this episode, let me clarify one thing: I don't want more Red John in the Mentalist, nor do I want less. I think a few episodes per season is just about enough and I don't think the stand-alones are boring filler.

Which is why this episode is my definition of perfect balance.

"Little Red Book" and "Always Bet on Red" both made a mistake in including a case-of-the-week with an obvious killer and no real friction between anyone involved, when what the episodes both really wanted to do was to forward the myth arc. They should have put all their focus on that and saved the cases for another time. "Red is the New Black", however, gets it just right.

I was already convinced this episode deserved a 9 when the killer was revealed and put in interview. The case-of-the-week to me was just as good as Pink Tops and I felt a lot of season 1 vibes with getting to know the entire situation and every character's relation to one another before instead of too much by-the-book police work. Three good-hearted youngsters, the big fashion leaders, the excentric photographer and muse, and the secretive corporate runner driven into a corner. All interesting people memorable enough to carry the episode on a high note all the way to the end.

This season is a lot more serialized than any before it, and this immediately shows when the script writer doesn't just ignore Rigsby's development from last time but instead puts it on display right front and center. Cute reaction from Van Pelt, I must add.

Jane tags along with Cho and VP and not just Lisbon, which is always refreshing. I like it that he actually stays involved in the case even after Darcy begins to side-track him and the sheer randomness of his walking into the interrogation room with the feather and then just leaving gave me a good laugh when picturing how she must have experienced that.

The extra point five in my rating obviously comes from the Red John developments. I thought when I read the press release that it would only be Darcy getting some info from Rosalind and then be done with it for this time around, but no no. That ending had me on the edge of my seat from the first wham line and then almost falling off from the second. No spoilers, but that phone call, the accompanying scene, the following scene... Well, the whole ending. HOLY CRAP!!

For me, this season just hit par with season 1. The whole universe-building and everything that made me like this show from the beginning is back and improved with a serialized feel to it and the balance between stand-alones and RJ episodes is every bit of perfect. Just ignore all the fans that do nothing but complain and know that there are some of us who enjoy it just the way it is. Keep it up.
  • Like it only because of Jane

Clearly Jane is the rock in this show which is good and bad, you need a good supporting cast and there is a huge lack of one still, and the writing and plots don't go into the right place and order. I only rate this because or Jane when he does cast, freakin' hilarious, at times I kinda of gave up on The Mentalist becoming an all together story when it comes to hard or difficult situations that require well planning and writing to give you that wow experience. I lowered my expectation until I see otherwise, until than I just take it how it is. FBI agent is getting annoying seems like they always put annoying characters on the show to create a challenge I just wish they find another way. I believe Red John may be getting rid of her too, you'll have to be smarter than Jane to catch him and shes no where near his level so I don't understand why were putting to much work into this.
  • Rock steady progress

This was a further steady episode of The Mentalist, to be fair, without much character developement other than the new boss being a bit "sneaky" and underhand, suggesting he has an ulterior motive about "whatever".

The case itself was nothing spectacular, with the gold feather to "out the killer" theory a bit contrived.

This was all about the back story and the potential for Red John doing away with Agent Darcy.

This part of the episode was a good ploy to hold attention away from what was actually going on; with Rosalind possibly being Red John's "Kryptonite" as he chose to kill the Morgue attendant, rather than her.

Someone else posted that Rosalind might BE Red John but given the story arc, so far, this is massively unlikely.

Realistically, Red John HAS to be male. Some of the murders simply couldn't be within the strength capability of a normally built woman and the actress playing Rosalind is certainly that.

"Costume contacts", I think not!

This would entail Rosalind wearing them basically 24/7 given that she answered the door immediately, when Lisbon knocked. She would need to "live" the role.

Not a feasible proposition, I'm afraid.

A good episode, all in all but the writers MUST start thinking about a resolution to the Red John story, so that Jane can progress.
  • AM TIRED OF RED JOHN!!!!

Am tired of the Red John references. I like The Mentalist just so they need to trash the idea of Red John its really becoming comical
  • Who is Red John?

I am leaning toward the idea that Rosalind is Red John. No one has seen Red John, but nearly all of his followers have been male. Add to that her red hair, the fact that blindness can be faked with "costume" contacts, and the fact that she was the only one that could have made the connection between the visit to the morgue and "Roy". And how could he have gotten a body into her house, and hidden it in her closet without her suspectiing ANYTHING?? Surely, if she had been blind all her life she would have developed enough sensory perception with regard to hearing and vibrations (a man carrying a body would make more of a vibration than one without such a burden, not to mention putting it in the closet). SHE could be Red John, either faking her blindness or simply using the men that have come to almost worship her, to the point of sacrificing themselves
TNT