The Mentalist

Red John's Friends

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 06, 2009 on CBS

• Jane finds a man who claims to have knowledge on Red John.

Holy cliffhangers Batman, but what an episode of The Mentalist!

I was worried that a season long, possibly series long story arc might take away from the show but instead we get one of the best episodes to date. Patrick Jane meets a man in prison who in exchange for his release promises to reveal information on the mysterious Red John who murdered Jane's family. When the fake psychic quits CBI is partners voluntarily suspend themselves to help Jane with his search.

What's great about this show is that the light-hearted jokes from Jane don't take away from the serious issues? His special skills such as picking up on little things people say and cracking how the mother got into a locked room just separate this show from the rest of CBS' cookie cutter lineup.

The Mentalist scores with another "A" episode to kick off the new year. Here's to hoping the show gets a pickup and an equally strong second season because I cannot wait to see how the whole Red John issue plays out.
CBS