The Mentalist

Red Moon

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 18, 2010 on CBS

• You can just feel Jane's tension mounting.

With each new episode and case, there is a tangible heightening of Jane's tension, and it makes you wonder if his patience will win out, or his desire for revenge.

Cases lately seem to keep taking Jane "back", metaphorically speaking, and his grip seems ever more tenuous. I like it. It gives him an edge that balances the flaky and sometimes annoyingly cocky parts of his character and behaviour.

The whole episode was much more graphic than most weeks. And not just visually. Psychologically too, which is infinitely more effective. I actually jumped when the Sheriff was shot. I guess I should have seen it coming but kudos for the sneaky approach to that one!

For Jane, it must have been like looking into the eyes of a very familiar evil with Todd Johnson at the end there. But I have to ask: what did Todd say to Jane on his way "out"? Did I miss it, or was it intentionally inaudible? Was it just a harbinger of things to come? Its got me on the hook for next week anyway, and that's a first this season!