The Mentalist

Red Rover, Red Rover

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 10, 2012 on CBS

• Jane is fired

This episode was the build up to the season finale and its on the anniversary of his wife and daughters death and Red John asks him does he give up.This sends Jane to lose it when he burns the Red John files,he gives up on the Red John case,he buries a suspect alive to get him to confess and this leads to a argument between Jane and Wainwright and Wainwright attempts you hit Jane but when he is stopped he fires Jane.An amazing episode to get ready for the season finale.
  • Red Rover

A solid episode to build up to the season finale next week. It was not special, and I thought Jane snapping over this particular case was a bit odd. They can't just force a confession that way, but that mystery was worth watching, seeing the guilty party deny it so vehemently.

Solid episode again, but we have seen better.
  • "What's in a name?"

Throughout the series, the writers have exerted considerable effort to focus the title of each episode on the color red and/or on blood [and such variations/shades of it as pink, rose, carnelian, flame, ruby, scarlet, russet, or crimson]. Clichs, plucked directly from adages or transformed into word-play, abound: "Seeing Red," "Red Herring," "A Price above Rubies," "Rose-colored Glasses," "Bleeding Heart," "Blood Money," "Red Sky at Night," "Like a Red-headed Stepchild." Well-known titles of, and phrases from, other works are revisited and sometimes revised: "The Thin Red Line," "Paint It Red," "The Scarlet Letter," "Red Alert" [homage to "Star Trek"], "The Red Mile," "Rhapsody in Red," "Scarlet Ribbons." Included are a couple of seriously groanable puns and clever plays on the spelling of certain words [emphasis mine]: "REDacted," "REDemption," "Where in the World is CARMINE O'Brien?"

More intriguing than the carefully consistent episode titles, however, is the moniker of the antagonist: Red John. From the original Hebrew, to Greek, to Latin, and from thence to English, the exceedingly popular masculine name "John" is derived from the Hebrew name meaning "graced by Yahweh" and/or "blessed by God." Other earlier versions of the name mean "God is generous." As a male name, John appears today in such variations as Ivan, Johann, Sean, Juan, Evan, Ian, Jan, Giovanni, Jean, and Hans.

The female form of today's John is common as well, although less popular these days than the male version. Female versions of John include Jeannie, Jennie, Joanna, Joan, Siobhann and Jane. Patrick JANE. Is Jane indeed Red John? What IS in a name?

• Great Episode

I think that this is just one big mind game by Jane. He wants Red John to think that he has been beaten. RJ might still have a friend inside the CBI so Jane has to convince everyone that he is 'losing it'. Everything in the files that were burnt would have already been memorised, and he had already got all the information out of the young girl before he hypnotised her. As for getting fired, you can see by the little smile on Jane's face that this is exactly what he wanted. He could have just quit but he wants RJ to think that he has hit rock bottom. Now RJ thinks Jane is weak and nearly defeated, he might start getting over confident and start making mistakes. Or he might think that Jane is no longer 'playing the game'. so therefore he has no more use for him. He will either stop taunting Jane (unlikely), or he will come after him and try to kill him, walking into Jane's trap as he does so. Cant wait for the next episode to find out whats going to happen.
  • Red Rover, Red Rover

I think Wo Fat is Red John.
  • Amazing Episode!

The episode was fresh and new and finally glad to see Red John reappear :)

The Promo for the Season finale gave me the chills and the more and more the story progresses the more I get convinced with the fact that Patrick himself might be Red John , if you don't agree with me, watch the promo for the finale ,recall the last few episodes and notice his behavior, I'm 95% certain that Patrick Jane is a Psychopath and is Red John!

LOVE THE SHOW :D can't wait till next week.
  • Bridge to nowhere

It is set up as a huge thing and next week will be an awesome show. I predict that Rigsby will be shot. Then, in the season opener, it will all be resolved in a cheesy way and everything goes back to normal. Just like last year.
  • Five simple words

This season Red John has been forced to share a lot of his moments with whichever case-of-the-week happened to be on at the moment (i.e. Little Red Book, Always bet on Red, Red is the New Black), and when the press release for "Red Rover, Red Rover" surfaced, I worried that this episode might turn out to be the same.

In a master stroke however, the case itself, while not Red John related, still turns out to be so integral to the plot that you can't but think the episode wouldn't have worked without it. Red John's sole involvement is at the beginning of the episode, but he still continues to haunt through-out the full 42 minutes. The case turns out to be a vent for what Jane is feeling.

I think it's the very simplicity of it that makes it so effective. "Do you give up yet?", spoken by a girl roughly the same age as Jane's daughter at the time of death nine years ago. And where has Jane come in those nine years? This is the moment he's forced to face that question and Red John makes him do so by giving him nothing. No new murder, no big CBI attack, nothing concrete, but just that. Nothing. Asking him to give up. And it works.

Early on, he makes his decision, and the rest of the episode, Jane is channelling his emotions through the case. All these years, his sole purpose in life has been to find Red John and make him pay eye for an eye, and now that that purpose is left behind, instead he begins to take that out on whatever murderer is within reach. It's not by a hunch Jane does unto the murderer what the murderer did unto his victim, the same thing he said he would do to Red John. And that is no doubt stepping over the line.

Jane has been doing more and more immoral things in every regard of the Red John case since the shooting of Timothy Carter and this is the culmination we've all been waiting for. The confontation with Wainwright has been due for a long time and consequence finally catches up to our broken down consultant in its most dramatic form.

I do not think this is just another ruse. I really do think, and hope, this is the state of mind Jane has finally gotten down to, because if this really is rock bottom, then I have no doubt this will be a turning point of the show. If Jane is able to climb up from this, maybe he can finally set his focus straight and pursue Red John with the same manner of thought and skill he does his other cases, something he couldn't possible achieve while still thinking Red John is the greater combatant, as he has been continuously forced to believe throughout these first four seasons.

And another little thing for which I have no doubt: After next week's season finale, we are in for a long summer.
  • Well played jane

I think it was a brilliant move getting fired from the CBI. I think by seeing Red John is willing to use a little girl to send a message to Jane was the straw that broke the camel's back. Jane wants Red John's head and Jane is going to settle his score personally. Jane even has said that whoever gets involved with the case is a target of Red John...I think Jane got fired in a move to protect the CBI from any further harm. Also, whatever Jane does (because he may do something illegal) it separates himself from the CBI so that the bureau won't get in trouble.
  • Conflicted

This episode leaves me feel so conflicted.

How the hell did Jane change from our lovable mischief maker in season 1 to be messed up wreck like now? What do the writers plan for him? I do give them some benefit of the doubt (otherwise the rating would be much much lower), but I'll be fully disappointed if nothing comes out in the finale.

The delight of this episode, however, is Wainwright. He saves it. For the first time, we see a boss that stands up to Jane. Someone who has some spine. Like him or not, it's such a pleasure to have someone who's unwilling to let Jane slide. His last fight with Jane is decidedly brilliant. Please, we need more characters like him!
CBS