The Mentalist

Redemption

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 24, 2009 on CBS

• A very aggressive first episode, excellent.

This is Jane at his worst – usually he hides his emotions behind a smile and charm. Now he's not even trying. He's giving off such aggression it's amazing people don't get a headache around him. Honestly? I like him like this, though I understand why it would cause no end of harm to a police department.

If Jane can't work Red John, he has no reason to stay. The team has gotten lazy from working with him, he does so much of the detective work that they will be nearly incapacitated if he leaves. Most of the time, they run off the leads and deductions he makes. If he left, it would take months to readjust and their closure rate would plummet.

Jane's 'Miles' idea is clever, the natural assumption is 'Miles' is either the killer or connected to the money - whoever starts asking around immediately becomes a suspect. Anyone innocent wouldn't care.

I knew it was the boss – no-one would be that blasé about losing $1m… unless they knew where the money was.

I like Cho, he doesn't mind bending the rules. Insists he hears shouting inside the house.

A very strong first episode, sharp edged.