The Mentalist

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 23, 2008 Between Seasons

hanpuusi

The Mentalist Fan Reviews page 5 of 10

• More than one nemesis!

A second mastermind from a cult church dealing with good and evil other than Red John would start to pump up interest.

I love this show and the actors in it,. One of the main characters may have to die in order to introduce new characters and plot twists and pump the viewership up in the 5th season.

Something is conflicted in Red John. Acts like a complete murderous maniac, yet has followers, power and influence, money, and not the best reason in the world to kill Jane's family, beside being one step ahead of the main character, who is based on Sherlock Holmes.

Is Red John more than one person - one evil doer? And why? I am waiting this 5th season for some big, big changes to occur in The Mentalist, but after 4 seasons of hard teasing, there has got to be an equally big payoff soon.
  • WHO IS RED JOHN?

It's been 5 seasons and we only know that Jane shook hand with Red John and he didn't know it. I do love this show, but it could be so much more if they started to speed up the entire process. The near omnipotence of the Red John character has to start showing some failures, if only because it makes no sense for this show to keep up this angle as it is. Red John is to Jane what Joker is to Batman or Moriarty is to Sherlock Holmes. Eventually, somehow, we need to get to Red John in a very tangible way.
  • This is me a phenomenon

A human, samurai preach that can prove were is GOD is the woman and all around we all are a family is world order that is why 9/11 was done all for order, love and business that is why all the wars now and before GOD bless the Jews and us all
  • RED JOHN IS UNBELIEVABLE

THE EVIL NEMISIS, RED JOHN, IS SO UNBELIEVABLY OMNIPOTENT THAT IT POISONS THE CONCEPT OF THE SHOW. THE ONLY EPISODES I ENJOY ARE THE FEW THAT HAVE NO RED JOHN INVOLVEMENT.
  • Simon Baker saves this show

It's worth watching if only for his great acting in every episode. Bruno Heller, Simon Baker and Robin Tunney all deserve to be working on a better show than this. The Mentalist is better than a reality show, but still it could be a lot better.
  • Simon Baker is the man

I don't really like detective shows, but Simon Baker plays great in the show. It's all about him. This detective show I watch only because of him.
  • great show

I started watching this show a few seasons in, and I'm really enjoying catching up on all the episodes!! I love Simon Baker for this role, he does a wonderful job.
  • SCRAP THE RED JOHN NONSENSE

1.5
    Just how long do we have to put up with the endless hunt for Red John. Seriously its no fun anymore and fortunately the remote is near at hand. Just the mention of Red John and I change channels.
  • Van Pregnant

Van Pelt is so prego desk or no desk the last show confirmed it. She had to stand in one scene it her seen dimensions were definitely the one of a lady in waiting. As far as the show goes it is kind of slowwing a bit, but it still keeps my attension. And RedJohn is definitely looking more washed out like PinkJohn. Another sub plot would be nice with Cho and the Swat lady trading punches with the bad guys and trading spit with each other.
  • Not consistent

I love this show but I am getting slightly iterated that the show is on every week and then once a fortnight. Seriously CBS cant make their mind up when they are having shows on.

This sounds sad, but I have all my favorite shows on calendar so I know what I have to look forward to watching that night.
  • Time to get rid of Red John

I love this show, but I can't stand the Red John part anymore. Time to sniff him out and kill him. Then move on. Or just forget about him and solve other cases.
  • Grace Van Pelt pregnant?

Grace Van Pelt is being hidden behind desks etc. i don't remember them saying she had injuries and is held to desk duty. So she must be pregnant in real life. No wonder they cooled it with Wayne for a bit. Did she get impregnated by Craig O'Laughlin??? Would be an interesting story line. They cooled it with the Wayne Rigsby return to friends. . And his story with his sons mom , has kinda fallen apart.
  • Losing interest...

I loved this show when it first started but this prolonged drag-out of the Red John storyline is boring me to tears. Literally making me fall asleep. Everytime Patrick goes about finding Lorelai, I'm disinterested. Please finalize this storyline and refresh the series or give it it's end. It's no longer enjoyable unless they start going outside the box (like the episode where they flashbacked to where Patrick first joined the team). Just show us Red John and be done with it!
  • Enough with Red John

Such a meshugga....a side trip with no upside. Red John, the outside overseer, not a back story a feeble attempt for gravitas. Also, bratty and ill mannered are not signs of self assurety but of petulance and febrile thought process. How does this further the concept of Mentalist, the characters of the team, or anything else? Writers are tired, have changed or some 24 year hotshot is trying to stamp his brand on a proven show. Don't blow and several million viewers.
  • Red John Sucks!

I am getting so sick and tired of Red John! Enough already! I only kept watching this season because I thought Red John was supposed to be caught. Maybe some of the fans like it, but they are in the minority, I'm sure. The only ones I do watch now is one that doesn't have anything about him in it. Most of my friends have quit entirely. I keep hoping the writers will finally realize that the ongoing hunt for Red John is utterly boring, and move on to the good shows I know they are capable of.
  • Pointless

First off I really enjoy the show. Out of all the characters though the one I like the least is Teresa Lisbon she just isn't that great of a character, sure her emotions for Jane and what she would do for him can be interesting, besides that though there isn't much else too her. After years of working with Patrick she still challenges him on his ideas and still thinks he is wrong when he says someone isn't the killer even though every time he has been proven right and his plans worked (only exception being to Red John). What really proves that she is useless is the episode when Cho is put in charge he does a much better job than what Lisbon has ever done being the team leader. Also every other character is more interesting Cho is a quiet smart who gets straight to the point but when needs be can be a total badass, Rigsby his father is a criminal outlaw, he has a son, him and Van Pelt had a relationship and he brings some lighthardness to the group, Van Pelt shot and killed her fiance who was working with Red John, she has then proceeded to take down two more killers, She has issues that have made her harder and now leans more towards hard justice. Teresa is suppose to be a main character yet more often I feel she is just in the way of everyone else.
  • Red Jone is himself Patrick Jane TWO persons in one

it was so obvious ...... the writer shouldn't reveal those hints that easily
  • Same Old

As told by one of the fans Patrick solves all CBI crimes but cannot solve the Red John case.It makes no sense then and makes the show boring!Try something different guys!!
  • A clever title goes here!

Mentalist--I have been watching from the beginning , Lately I find it ridiculous at times when Patrick Jane behaves like a spoiled child and cocky . The Red John business has been dragging on for too long and it's becoming an aversion. Needs to solve Red John before it's too late !
  • Getting Old

It seems the CBI can't solve a murder without Patrick Jane. This is really getting old. It's amazing how Jane can solve every murder that the CBI investigates, but he can't figure out who Red John is. At least the Red John episodes are more interesting to watch than the same old "Patrick Jane solved the murder all by himself again" episodes.
  • More Show, less substance

Entering its 5th Season, 'The Mentalist' starts and progresses through its plots much like before. The main antagonist 'Red John' is a device employed almost entirely at the beginning/end of series, and the main cast's division of lines/story is much unchanged. Jane & Rigsby serve the meat of the plot; Lisbon is Jane's chaperone with seldom a profound insight (and more often a stupid one); Van Pelt and Cho rotate in on occasion obligingly performing non-key scenes which make for mostly forgettable moments.

What led me to enjoy this show so much in the first season were many things increasingly dropped from the show itself. Cho is nearly entirely absent throughout, his initial kinship with Jane completely a thing of the past; Van Pelt's interaction with Jane is - beyond the occasional joke - of no substance or of lasting interest. In addition, the Rigsby/Cho partnership which served as a main investigation arm/comic relief is now reduced to mostly window dressing for the all-talented Jane to swoop in to save the day and let the other actors fade into the background.

On the other hand, the novel structures the new season has employed has been a welcome departure (Ep 4 w/ flashbacks; Ep 5 w/ an origin story), as well as the occasional inclusions of 'mentalism' (two eps reference 'cold/hot-reading; one has Jane analyzing a victim's attire). Overall, however, the show's simplicity and departure from its original strengths keeps me from seriously recommending this.
  • Pretty sure its Sam Weiss in the limo aka RJ

Or atleast an enhanced version to make him appear younger than he currently is.
  • bullshit

this series is starting to piss me off. Episodes with nothing to do with red john are outright dreadful. it feels like a long con. we swallow crap episodes with the promise that there will be a red john episode and then there isn't. Last episode was awful. And yes I find simon charming, but after 5 years its wearing off. They've already lost a chunk of their audience and today they lost me. I'm not watching another episode unless I'm sure it's red john related. enough bullshit

• Simon, such a DOLL! I could watch you in any show!

Love watching Simon Baker. His smile lights up a room! But to the directors and actors of The Mentalist and Criminal Minds and NCIS, Lompoc Federal Penitentiary is pronounced -- I will spell it phonetically: Laumpoke, long "O", not "Laugpawk!" I was raised 30 miles from Lompoc and believe me, W.C. Fields did NOT say it correctly! It is "Lompocke," long "O" on the end. Makes the little tiny hairs stand on end when I hear Lawnpauk! So say it all together, Lompoc, "Lompoke!" Thanks for great shows. Why is the Mentalist on so late????????
  • Red John is no longer a believable character

The archvillain Red John has the ability to infiltrate all levels of government security, and inspires COMPLETE faithfulness in his followers the likes of which hasn't been seen since Jonestown.

Honestly, the writers are probably continuing to put off his capture because they haven't figured out a plausible way to explain WHY this character manages to do these two things. Its an implausible character and its starting to make it difficult to watch the show.

Finish the show, finish it well, or just cancel the show and hide your heads forever.
  • Boring boring boring

This show gets more boring by the minute ...
  • 1 of my favorite shows on CBS...

If anybody remembers Simon Baker on the Guardian, that was should a dark and depressing show...OMG,The Mentalist did Baker a 360 from that! I love the cast. Thanks for renewing for a 5th season, 'cause I've been trying to catch all the old episodes on TNT.
  • Red John....SERIOUSLY?

There are reviews going back over 2yrs on RJ. Twice we thought he was done with and still with the RJ mystery! I loved the show because of the smart thinking of Jane and the cast's interactions....I actually stopped watching for awhile...how long can you drag out one storyline! Enough of the RJ story all ready! Also, Cho was better suited to his dry wit with Patrick in the early days...always getting in trouble...now they seem to have little or no interaction, almost seem like they don't like each other....go back to the early days when it was interesting and fun! This episode was good and I hope his daughter addressing the RJ issue is a hint that you are going to wrap it up finally!
  • love the show but.......

i absolutely adore this show! i think the Red John this is getting old, long, and tiresome... and the new time is not good for me. i'm NOT staying up till 11:00 PM. i have school the next morning. i have to watch it monday morning.
  • Funny With A Twist

I absolutely love this show. Simon Baker is fantastic. I love the dynamics of the characters and the premise.

Red John is the over-arcing storyline that drives the show, in my opinion. Episodes featuring Red John are much more interesting than 'murder of the week'. If they were to catch Red John, they would need just as strong of an arc to carry on in its place.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10