The Mentalist

CBS (ended 2015)

hanpuusi

The Mentalist Fan Reviews (313)

• Open letter to Bruno Heller

I stared at a blank page with just a heading for over an hour, not knowing how to start, not knowing if I should curse you or pity you. There are no words to describe the frustration I feel after 7 years of dedication to your show, I don't believe Webster even has a word that have to say, I stopped watching this clownish festival you called a reboot mid-way through the last season, I just couldn't handle it anymore; the finale? I haven't seen it and will not, what I've read around the web was more than enough.

Honestly, as an executive producer, do you deem yourself illegible to play with people's minds like that? Have you any idea of the level of damage 5 years of clues have done to the followers of your show? I'm not talking about your facebook fansite cheering for Jisbon (we will revisit that later), have you even a clue how much information websites like and contain? 20000+ theories combined that prove this show had an amazing potential, something no other show ever had or can have. The initial idea was brilliant, at the end of

Season 3 I gave you a hats-off for being a genius; and even though I agree with most that 'Strawberries & Cream' is the best RedJohn ending ever I was wishing for more, back then I was hoping it wasn't him and kept wanting more.

Then, irrationally, began the pour-down of clues on the audience; clues

coming in left and right with such focus on them they left everyone in awe, scratching their brains and revisiting previous episodes endlessly to make the right connections. You might say it's our fault for focusing so much, I'll just answer that it wouldn't have been the case if you wouldn't have focused the camera so much on all those clues. I will not bother myself mentioning all the clues, you know them one by one, that culminated in 06x08.

'Red John' was so badly handled I simply dropped my jaw throughout the entire episode, from the lousy scripts all the actors were following to the pigeon trick (is that seriously fitting for such a story?). Nothing made sense and a tear in the universe wouldn't have fixed my jaw back in place at that moment.

Despite the ending to probably the greatest ark ever designed, and the lack of connection to all the carefully crafted clues you have given us; most fans including myself made up our own endings and resigned ourselves that you're just a producer with a lousy submissive personality who had to give in to Roth and his network. We decided to put all the red herrings, the Black Association and RedJohn behind us and waited for your we didn't know is the level of lowliness you would reach, as if it was made on purpose to systematically shatter your fan-base and replace it with mindless sheep (yes, sheep).

The supposed reboot started with mentions of the BA to never again be used again (please do bold, underline, emphasize the word 'never'), then you have enjoyed sending us cryptic messages via Baker's script and some red colors here and there (again, carefully placed and specifically camera focused). WHY Bruno?Here's what I really think of your reboot and 'encore' season:

- All the reasons for admitting Jane into the FBI were never mentioned again.

- Marcus Pike (again using a cryptic screen name) had a huge potential yet was a total flop.

- The entire reboot was focused on a romance between Jane and Lisbon, this was clear from the beginning, yet I never imagined it would be that pathetic.

- What kind of a romance is that where Lisbon says 'I love you' and Jane looks away with a silly smile on his face instead of kissing her; are we witnessing real life here or a TV show? The chemistry between those two was clearly close to zero and it was as obvious as a slap on the face.

- Obvious? Maybe not for your sheep, you know those fans cheering the awesome(?) love story on facebook daily.

- Lazarus.. epic fail. Again, huge potential to give a closure, I'm baffled and speechless at your those fans who filled up your pockets throughout those years deserved something else

Bruno, I do hope someday you realize that; and I can tell you that no fans are ever going to follow you again, not to Gotham and not anywhere else (yet apparently you care only about the sheep so please keep do apologize to the 'sheep' reading this, if anyone feels offended kindly understand this show had something you probably won't ever see and was destroyed by money hungry megalomaniacs.

This is an honest rant Bruno, coming from an ex-fan who has literally wasted days and weeks following your show. I personally hope you choke on all the money you made tricking people.
  • unanswered questions 1

How did RJ get the list?

Jane inquires into and about EVERYTHING, and gives us all the sordid details --- but when it comes to THEE cliffhanger of Season Five AKA -- "THE LIST" -- Jane suddenly doesn't want to know -- and no one else on the team wants to know?

Heller just didn't know how to explain it -- because HE didn't know either!!
  • for you hell-er

Hi BRUNO . I have an idea for a new crime drama serie.

a serial killer who is murdering 5 people in different places simultaneously. you can make 100 seasons of it and because this is you who is writing one day ( after your pockets gone full) , you can say he was a magician and you don't want to explain anything else and then turn it in to a ..... soap opera. and then pay a bunch of internet whores to sent happy thoughts on it and pay media for liking it

I look for to it.
  • KILLED OFF TONIGHT

Feb. 4th, 2015: tonight on the Mentalist they killed off an actress who I had hoped would replace Tunney - Theresa think her name is is always pouting and gloomy and is a terrible actress; there is absolutely no chemistry between her and Patrick They should ease Teresa Lisbon out of the show and bring in someone who can act and who has a personality!!! The show is getting boring!
  • A great criminal show needs great villain

Yes, a great show needs a great villain, and a greater good guy. Once the great villain was Red John, and the greater good guy was Patrick Jane. Now everything is a big mediocre BS.
  • This show is only getting worse by the episode S07E05

I watched this show religiously, waiting for the eventual and inevitable snuffing of Red John. But every episode following that season's conclusion has only gotten worse and worse. Season 7 has become laughable? I just watched episode 5 and that might be the worst one yet? I can watch no more. No more suspense. No more drama. Just Jane loves Lisbon and fools the bad guy yet again. Not since Dexter has a show gone so bad, so fast. Rest in Peace Red John, as you didn't have to watch what has become of this once great show.
  • you lost a huge fan

I'd love the old crew, and the old shows. The new crew are not good at show don't even look like the "mentalist" anymore. I used to be a huge fan, but unfortunately that has change!! Simon will always stay my number one actor, but really I understand why they're at their last season. The show sucks do they have to turn the story around? It doesn't seem to turn around Jane anymore, but around all

Of the new crew, which I'll say it again, I hate!! This is a shame!!
  • Ironically, RJ's Death Killed The Mentalist!

For those of you whining about the end of The Mentalist, you have only yourselves to blame. Your constant bitching about RJ finally got to the writers, who allowed themselves to be pressured into a sloppy premature wrapup to the RJ storyline, leaving behind a rudderless show. RJ anchored Jane and gave the show depth and weight. Once that was eliminated, the show became adrift, and ratings tanked worse than ever before.

Shame on Heller for caving to all the anti-RJ nonsense, and completely screwing over all the loyal viewers who were following all the specific clues laid out over a period of 5 years, only to see them evaporate into a cloud of absolute meaninglessness.

Goodbye to Jane and the CBI. You're all a mere shadow of what you once were. No more smileys on the wall, and certainly not on the faces of the viewers.
  • All shows since Red Johns demise

I quit watching after Red Johns boring death . Seriously , this man tortured people and he dies by a pathetic choking !!!
  • not a fan anymore

the script new cast and FBI stories are boring, i also miss the original cast. Even PJ looks patethic
  • The creator ruined the show

I love this show!Havn't seen any in season new episodes look so horrible!Because it dosn't take place in takes place in a diffrent they don't work for the CBI anymore,they now work for the is diffrent people on there new and Rigsby are usaully never still is a consaulted,for the and Lizben work in diffrent is diffrent people on their new are going back early next still over did it way to much on their new to many shows,they do it so is so much diffrent then the other why the creator is and idiot,and there is something horribly wrong with or she still,ruined the show,because they over did it way to the still shouldn't have the privealge,to own the runing the show i hope creator,Bruno Heller a horible they don't desverve the whole FBI,thing is a major ruined the whole was why it was on the bubble for so could easyly go they didn't at the end of were lucky it didn't get that they ruined,the show and did not change it,yet and it still got are so so would they do it?If you agree with me thank write in Creator Bruno Heller,should gave it a one for the episodes with the FBI,thing.
  • The heist

Well this episode was like watching a really bad episode of Leverage. Two things have become apparent to me since the demise of Red John.

1. The Show runners have no idea what they want to do or go with the show, the show lacks energy and seems tired and old even with the new cast members.

2. Without a big bad and big picture story arc the series feels very flat and aimless. As for the new cast members don't know why they bothered replacing VP/ RIgsby, Abbott and Fischer offer nothing new they are just pawns in the little games Jane plays each week.

We got a mildly entertaining heist case of the week but it all just seemed a bit silly and after 6 seasons of a possible Jane/Lisbon hook up we are suddenly faced with a possible love triangle? Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel in an attempt to "spice" things up. I've been a loyal fan/viewer since the pilot so I'll stick by the show to the end but I fear the end may be very near because it sure seems like the people running the show are out of ideas.
  • Half a Show

We'd love to watch the Mentalist but never get to see the entire show because some sports show runs over and the The Good Wife runs over. AUGGGGH. Frustrated Melbourne Florida
  • I think my review was flagged and deleted

Really not going to waste my time on this site if this is the case. Maybe too many fanboyz here who cannot see that many of the plots here are defective and totally unreal.
  • Nothing Clever about this episode.

WTH? Who wrote this tripe? Van Pelt first screams to let her capture know that's she's trapped and desperate, when in fact, she should have kept her freaking mouth shut. Then she wanders around outside the cabin she just broke out of and sort of wanders around like Snow White and asks some woman in a Cherokee for a lift? What? She's not the least suspicious of, like, everything??? If not, why not??? This is ridiculous. Then her husband, Rigsby, is shot, like, I don't know, ten times, but somehow manages to overpower the killer's sister and kill him before everyone is rescued [on cue] by a police helicopter. What happened to the killer's attorney? What about everyone breaking the law and just getting away with it, because, ya know, it all turned out great in the end. Nothing, and I mean, nothing about this episode worked. Pathetic. Really. Even Jane was an idiot for a change, which is not good when he's the star.
  • The Mentalist this Season is Drifting -

The Mentalist used to be my FAVORITE show. I like all the characters, the casting, and the plots.

The problem now is that the show is drifting. There are several implied 'Promises' from the writers that are being kept.

Mainly, over the years, they hinted at a romance brewing between Lisbon and Jane. Its ok if that happens, or if they try and it fails but by not addressing it, the show becomes inconsistent. And FAR less interesting.

Secondly, Cho is supposed to manage the team, I thought? But he does not seem like a manager at all. its not being handled well.

Next, this is the FBI and in theory they would have important cases, and probably multiple cases they are working on - that could be done by the writers in many ways. Instead, each week, some random person is killed and Jane does his wizardry... the model is broken. its needs more complexity. Jane is not really challenged, either. The most recent show is slightly more interesting but overall they need multiple, concurrent cases and more complexity overall.

Its possible that the writers or main producer have been with it so long they can't see it clearly now. They are locked into the Red John plotline and have nothing creative to say beyond that?

Basically, what I am saying is that the show is UNECESSARILY drifting - the writers can do a better job. The problem is not the lack of Red John; its the lack of consistency and lack of creativity.

Have you seen a new show, it had a short first season and is renewed, called The Bridge? Now that is gritty, well-defined, consistent... its a very good show. There is so much more that could be done with The Mentalist.

Kevin

• i miss interesting cases and The original team

i'm very dissapoint lately, i like red jhon story, its was ok to finish that storyline,. i love also to see the original cast, solving crimes in each episode,, with or without RJ, but the new characters ,the hight profile crimes that Pj is with the FBI are boring. Wish the original team get together again solving crimes, i really enjoed the police cases, there were very interesting .... and do for me
  • Red John Petition

If you are unhappy with the outcome of 5 years of the mentalist sign the petition. 254/419/054/we-want-to-see-the-real-red-john-episode/
  • Still dealing with Red Seriously?

I loved the show during its first two/three seasons, but then things got so repetitive and boring I pretty much stopped watching. And the characters aren't developing.
  • Somebody save THE MENTALIST!!!

This was a GREAT show and it still has the potential but for some mysterious reason they decided to hide Van Pelt behind a desk (instead of putting her pregnancy into the plot, dah) and turn Cho, Rigsby and Lisbon into totally one dimensional characters with no lines or effect into the stories. If Patrick actually had something going MAYBE it would still be OK but he hasn't! He is just TRYING (and trying and to remember while we are tired of waiting (and waiting and Such a shame really.
  • Mentalist and sexual sadism

We're done with The Mentalist. We have liked the characters, most of the plots, etc. But tonight we turned on the latest (recorded) new episode and were soon assaulted visually with truly nasty stuff -- ugly beatings, electrocutions, etc. -- that played like sexual sadism. First, it simply wasn't pleasant. Second, there were kids in the room. It felt like the show has turned a corner, and we aren't going with it. You've lost us.
  • so over red john plot!

this story line is getting SO BORING. hopefully the writers of this show read these reviews. we are all over him. story line is so WEAK. get on with the show for heaven's sake. im not watching anymore - i thought we were safe for the last few episodes - but oh no, here we go yet again - more red john - bruno heller enough already!!! im an aussie so naturally am a huge fan of simon baker - simon talk to the writers for heavens sake and let's get back to how good the show used to be!! because its garbage now. i agree with JohnHolmes about switching channels.

put us out of our misery please
  • Enough of Red John Soap Opera

Enough of Red John Soap Opera! I loved this show, but like so many other great shows you ruined it with the soap opera B.S., Go back to solving crime and being funny at it...

before it is canceled
  • Dixie Lee Eubank

Patrick need to grow some balls - He was so good in the other TV show he use to be in. (I can't remember the name of the show. After all, he's chasing down Red John who is a monster and the last episode he was in when the boat blew up. He ran down the blank like some sissy. Not very good writing!!!!!!
  • this show is horrible. it copied psych! it has the same basic idea and storyline, but it's not as good. not even close. it is not even funny but psych is hilarious!!! hystericallllll :d if you want a good show, watch psych! not the mentalist!

the mentalist is completely mental. it copied psych, but it failed at its attempt to be better. psych was always better, still is and always will be. this show should be taken off or changed. it stinks! psych should sue. but they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too nice :) but they make fun of it in some episodes hahahaha.
    psycho forever!

• A man with "great powers of observation" who used to be a fake psychic now fights crime (no he doesn't have tights and a cape... yet)

Yes you have seen or heard about the premise before (most recently in Psych) but don't worry there is nothing that you haven't seen elsewhere before so you should like the show if you enjoy deja vu feelings.

The acting in the pilot is below average. Simon Baker alters between charming puppy and sad puppy during the whole show with the charisma of a dead oyster. Robin Tunney really is miscast as the b!tchy FBI agent voted most likely to fall for the unlikely hero before season ends. The rest of the cast is utterly forgettable like their characters. The only bright spot were guests Zeljko Ivanek and Gail O'Grady but their level of acting seemed somewhat misplaced when faced with the staring apathy of leading man Baker.

The direction was nothing special, surprisingly enough with a name like David Nutter on board.

The writing is downright laughable. The main character alternates between arrogance and empathy every two minutes while he uses his "special powers" of well... noticing things that look pretty obvious to anyone who's looking and making logical leaps that would make Colombo cringe and that's saying a lot! The dialog is boring and flat and the ending makes you wonder why you stuck with it for so long!

DOn't waste your time!
  • Great to have him back :)This show is awesome :))

I give the show a perfect ten,I was just about ready to give up on TV because of all the silly realaty shows,this show is suspenseful an somewhat a comedy his looks at times are really funny an makes me lauph at the wierdess times in the show, which is unusual for me. I think they choose The perfect person for this show ,also it has a great cast, myself an even my mom enjoys it,its great to see him back and I hope this time he stays!! if you havent tuned in for this show try it once it really is awesome.
  • This show is so boring now!

1.5
    I used to love this show! It used to be quirky and fun. Now we are somehow supposed to believe that they all work for the FBI, Cho is totally flatlined, and Lisbon and Jane lost their chemistry. WHAT HAPPENED? Why did they change it so much? What made this show was the characters. I can't even watch it anymore.
  • Bored

1.5
    Just watched RED LISTED, and have to confess that, after all these years, I'm totally bored with the Red John storyline bored with the incompetence and arrogance of the FBI, the CBI, the CIA, and whatever organization is out there NOT doing there jobs! Every last one of them, Jane and Lisbon included, are really getting on my nerves and will now wait until I read something on this site to let me know it's all over. Absolutely nothing believable and I hope it turns out that Jane himself is Red John!!
  • The show ...

1.5
    ... was darn good but time to put red john to bed. Turn the page, close the book and move one. Disappointed in the new episode as it's more of the old theme. Get some new writers.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10