The Mentalist

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 23, 2008 Between Seasons

hanpuusi

The Mentalist Fan Reviews (272)

• Hmmmmm.... a show about a fake psychic who helps the police solve crimes through the power of his superior observational skills....sounds like an original hit!

Although it sounds like it will be a drama, does this not sound just like another version of Psych? I mean, did the creator actually think he came up with a new idea. Maybe instead of being called Creator, his title should be Borrower or Plagerizer. How about the exec who approved it? I have an idea for their next show: A new series called "Abbot" centering on a former police detective from San Francisco who has say... OCD problems, yeah that's it, and has a sassy assistant who helps him solve seemingly perfect crimes.

Or maybe a show about a group of soldiers who are convicted of a crime they did not commit and decide to go on the run in a van and right wrongs. We could call it "The Helpers Brigade".
  • Phych most of the way but...

It was bacically Phych only Phych is way better. The one little trailer, had me interested, mad, and bored at the same time. I was interested in th estoryline and the episode, i was made that the plot is so near Phych and i love Phych, and i was bored because some how i wanted to turn it off although it was not that bad. I don't know i will wait to see the pilot and then be the judge. Until then Phych definitly wins although there is a difference. Phych in one scene would have had you laughing atleast five times while this one had one joke at the end of the scene about being "Horney". Nice try i say. Maybe i will change my rasting later but the video clip wa not enough to say it was bad.
  • Pay no attention to the show ratings, this isn't like Psych at all so people need to stop whinging.

It's a shame that the ratings are so low just because people are worried that it sounds like "their show" where in reality, it is very different from Psych. I love Psych myself, but the fans that vote this down for no good reason just give it a bad name. If I had to compare this show to anything I have seen, it would be Dexter, with Psych coming in 3rd at the highest. Give this show a chance, because if the rest of the series is as good as the pilot then you won't be disappointed. I can see that this will be more like a dramatic Monk, where every so often Patrick finds a clue as to who murdered his family. Hopefully this show gets to run its course so it gets a proper ending and that a potentially great thing isn't ruined by people who judge a book by its cover.
  • There's a certain 'quiet achiever' feel and a subtle glint of charm to The Mentalist and Simon Baker delivers that very idea as the mysterious, yet torn freelance detective, Patrick Jane. A definite to watch if you're a fan The Guardian.

Firstly, this show is nothing like Psych. Secondly, this show is nothing like Psych. Thirdly, this show is nothing like Psych.

The show centers around Patrick Jane, a charming, yet subtly intrusive investigator with a keen sense of observation. His motivation lies in the fraudulent life he led as a 'psychic' and his attempts to find the killer who murdered his wife and child, yet he neither shows his anger or revenge. He represses his emotions and fears through his confident sense of intuition, which isn't tacky, arrogant or abrasive since Patrick Jane is anything but sincere, courteous and sensitive.

His character, the main driving force of the show, forces the audience to identify with others and their plight that they are subjected to and this is where The Mentalist separates itself from other shows that attempts to deliver a character-driven story. Of course, The Mentalist is nowhere near the class of Lost or Heroes, for example, but there is enough to grab hold to.

Added to this is the well suited support cast, led by Robin Tunney and people who have watched enough TV will recognise many of the cast members from other shows such as The OC and The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Overall, it's still early days but The Mentalist is a show that shouldn't be judged simply because Patrick Jane did lead a former life as a 'fraudulent psychic', but that is not what the show is about. This is a show that might yield some bittersweet moments so those who are into that emotional ride might benefit from it. Other than that, I think The Mentalist is an underappreciated show that deserves more, especially a chance to show us its potential.
  • What a surprise! I only watched because Simon Baker is in it but I loved it. Miles better than Psych (which just never hit the spot with me). Shame it's a CBS show - La Nina will no doubt cancel it within 6 months as she did with Moonlight and Jericho.

This isn't what I was expecting at all. It's much darker than I thought it would be. Which is what sets it apart I believe from other crime shows.

I like the cast too. So many characters in movies and series nowadays I feel I have to force myself to like.

Another thing I liked was the subtle way the story unfolded Patrick Jane's motivation for doing what he does. I thought that was original as well.

Other than that I admit it was fairly standard crime show fair, but I feel as the show puts out more episodes and it gets a rhythm it will settle into something quite unique.

As for the naysayers comparing it to Psych - I don't see it personally. But then, Psych didn't impress me at all. Particularly the lead actor.

I gave this a rating of 10 I confess because it had received such a low rating from others which I just don't believe it deserves. I swear some people just lurk about these sites giving 1's just to be narky.

My original rating was 9.3

Please watch the show and give it a chance.
  • Ok, so many of you are saying same idea with a new face. But what makes the show different is that he actually admits to being a fake psychic and the trauma that continues to haunt him.

I do like the character's new found honesty since he learned from the mistake of talking about what he doesn't fully know. So the character is actually growing.

I think some of the things about the "CBI" instead of "FBI" made me feel funny. But then again what about the IMF "Impossible Mission Force". Can't wait to see where they take this.

I hope that they will develop the other characters, like the confused new agent that forgets and checks her luggage at the airport. I think the potential for a great show is there, it has what it takes to keep me watching it.
  • Not just a copy. Very intriguing.

When I first heard of the show the first thing I saw people talking about was how it a ripoff of USA Network's Psych. First off, Psych is not a completely original idea. In fact I doubt anything about it is new or fresh, but that's okay because a show doesn't need to be original (something hard to be these days) to be great. And The Mentalist looks like it's going to be great.

The Mentalist is not terribly simliar to Psych. The main character, Patrick Jane, is nothing like Shawn Spencer (not a bad thing) and his coworkers are not like the rest of Psych's cast. It's a cop show and cop shows all have similarities, but it's still interesting.

The Pilot episode was very entertaining and I can't wait until this show starts this fall! I will definitely be tuning in to watch this new show and hope that it lasts a long time as it deserves to.

Stop complaining and rating the show so low simply because it looks unoriginal or you think it's plagarising Pysch! It's not. And if you haven't even watched the pilot and decided you didn't like it, you're giving a bad name to Psych fans with your childish behavior.

Watch The Mentalist before you judge it. It may surprise you.
  • Like "Psych", Only Darker

I just watched the pre-air version and have to admit that the first episode was pretty good. While some of the elements are similar to "Psych", the storyline is much darker. There are a few humorous scenes woven in, but I believe the show will definitely hold it's own. It's similar to Psych, the only difference is that everyone knows the main character used to make a career as a fake medium (it's like John Edwards giving up his career to become a real detective). Certain flashbacks into the characer's past will more than likely be explored throughout the series. It will also give the viewers more insight into why he abandoned a lucrative career to pursue real detective work. I've already added this to my list of favorite shows and I hope the writing stays at this level throughout the entire season.
  • Sure, the underpinning idea of a PI with hyper-observations skills isn't unheard off, but the show isn't that bad. Its worth a shot because it relatively well written with likable characters and a good over-arching storyline.

Simon Baker plays an ex-fake-psychic who has hyper-observational skills and helps the police solve crimes. The over-arching story is of his own personal trauma of having lost his wife and child to a serial killer, Red John, who he chastised on television. His trauma has left him without faith in psychics or any higer power. Robin Tunney plays the lead officer supported by 3 other officers. Its dark and has a subtle sense of humour and the characters are likable. Sure its another crime show, but its far from being procedural. It a good mix of Criminal Minds (the serial killer aspect), Pysch (the keen-observational skills aspect) and all the crime-fighting stores out-there. However, there is a liklihood of it getting cancelled, being underappreciated or ignored because of its subtle similarity with Psych.
  • Patrick Jane uses his keen sense of observation to help solve crimes for the Californa Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

I certaintly feel this show to underrated and underappreciated. First of all, many people believe " The Mentalist " to be a Psych rip-off, but , I highly have to disagree, Psych never came to mind when I first read the summary. For Instance, Psych is about a detective who uses his Photographic memory to fool people into believing he's a Psychic, but , The Mentalist is about a man who used to be a fake Psychic, until Red John killed his wife and son, and decides to give up the lies and use his keen sense of observation to help the Californa Bureau of Investigation (CBI) solve crimes. Psych is a Comedy, The Mentalist is a Crime/Drama. Do you see the difference here.
  • I was apprehensive about watching this but was pleasantly surprised.

I decided to take a look at this mildly promoted show. To be honest I was expecting it to be a rubbish rip-off of Psych…. I was pleasantly surprised. The main character is likable and believable.
    I see a lot of posts claiming that shows are unoriginal, if you think about it everything has been done in one form or another. I say watch it and judge for yourself….. I hope this show gets a chance to pull the viewer into its world, unlike some other great shows like Firefly, Drive and Journeyman to name a few. What can it hurt to give the show a chance, it could be worse… it could be CSI Psychic…. Don't get me wrong, I like CSI (all of them) but it's nice to have something a little different even if it does have a similar premise to Psych.
    Go watch it for a few weeks then judge.
  • Unlike a lot of TV shows, this one makes you think

My wife and I really liked this show. The acting is superb and the characters are believable. What I really like about this show is how it encourages the viewer to pay attention to the small details. Certainly, he has an uncanny sense of observation and human behaviour/psychology, but it certainly makes for compelling viewing.

I imagine the Red John story line will continue to be a theme thoughout the show.

If you like police dramas like CSI or NCIS, I think you'll really like this show.

Hopefully, they can sustain viewer interest for the next 5 episodes or so. Happy viewing.

RF
  • Met expectations and can only get better!

I waited six months for the preview and was not disappointed. It is not the same as Psych and should be seen before making those accusations. It has great characters that can only get better and hopefully will be given a few shows to get its fan base going the way it should be. Icannot wait for the next weeks show. I have been a fan of Simon Baker but like the rest of the cast also. The interaction between the team and Patrick is my favorite and Jane's smile is enough to make you come back. I love the phrase he used on the commercials,"watch closely". It isn't easy to see everyhting he does and not at all predictable.
  • Simon Baker is amazing in this show!

I watched the first episode with fairly low expectations. However, Simon Baker's enchanting blue eyes and mysterious character kept me mesmerized and drew me into the plot and I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed the show. His character is calm, gentle, and a bit of a smart-ass - unintentionally. I like the fact that he admits he is not a psychic; it makes me want to find out more about his character and how he has used his abilities in the past. He has a great dynamic with his partner, played by Robin Tunney. She is a tough, practical detective who finds it hard to accept Patrick's refined intuition and "psychic" abilities. I'm excited to watch more episodes to see what kind of cases they have Patrick Jane working on next!
  • Superb! Finally a show that's different from all the other kill-and-investigate programs! It's sophisticated, smart and spiced with some very brilliantly added humor.

I'll admit, the first thing that attracted me about The Mentalist on the trailer was the humor, but when it aired, the brilliance of the main character simply captivated me.

A person who "reads" people's behaviors according to their appearance, their talk and their homes. Criminal Minds have something similar, however, the fact that it's one person here somehow makes it much more interesting.

Also, contrary to Criminal Minds, here I felt the story line is going much slower and in rational pace (something most crime-related shows severely lack).

Finally a show that's different from all the other kill-and-investigate programs! In so many levels, this is brilliant. It's sophisticated, smart and spiced with some very brilliantly added humor, and in short - I recommend it fully! You got my vote! :)
  • Like has been mentioned this show contrary to Reid_Fleming is a ripoff of Psych. Which is a funnier much better version of this show. But i came into this show looking to hate it and it ended up quite a bit better than most the new crap on TV.

Like has been mentioned this show contrary to Reid_Fleming is a ripoff of Psych. Which is a funnier much better version of this show. But i came into this show looking to hate it and it ended up quite a bit better than most the new crap on TV. I would like to say that Simon does quite a good job in this role and i think the Red John season long story line gives it something that Psych doesn't have. Due to Psychs comic nature i wouldn't say it is required to have such a plot. I hope this show sticks around at least to replace the likes of the JUNK unoriginal CSIs.
  • one of the best new shows this year.

My new monday night favorite. It is a lot better then I would imagined, i thought it would be like psych or something stupid(no offense just don't like psych) but it is completely original. one of the best new shows this year. I have never seen Simon Baker before but he is an excelent actor. in the pilot episode he is thought to be a psychic by his co-workers, but he just pays attention. He used to pretend to be a psychic on tv, or whatever, but now helps the CBI (california bearu [or however the H3ll you spell it] of investigation) anyway it's one my favorites list.
  • Similiar story line, different twist.

Patrick Jane is a complex man. He does not seem to live by the rules of society like most people. A former fake psychic, Patrick now works with the police to help solve crimes. He claims to merely use good observation skills while lending his assistance. Patrick Jane does not portray himself as a warm man. In the opening scene he enters the victims' home, and helps himself to a ham and cheese sandwich. Sure, he is doing his job, but, who does that? He is unconventional, and seems more concerned about putting all of the pieces together like a puzzle, then he is with feelings of the victims involved. There is a certain detachment of emotion about him. He is guarded.

He is also a man haunted by events in his past. He clearly feels a need to punish himself for things that were ultimately outside of his control. The pilot has done a fine job of building the character and background of Patrick Jane. The viewer is compelled to shake a head at his actions in one scene, only to pity him in the next.

The show itself was somewhat predictable. At several different points in the episode I found myself knowing what was to come. I found that disappointing. In such a competative world, a new series needs try to be original. However, in spite of that, there are many other good features. I found the murder cases, and characters involved in them to be realistic and believable. The acting and chemistry between all of the characters was very good. The\re is a lot of room for growth. Also, a few guest stars like the above mentioned Gail O'Grady can't hurt either.

The Mentalist has been scheduled for the same night and airtime of the new series Fringe. Both shows will appeal to the same auidence. It may come down to which show finds the larger number of viewers.
  • Many have said it is Psych all over again, but I believe the reference goes back to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, instead.

There has been a lot of comparison between this show and Psych, but I disagree. This to me looks startlingly like the great Sherlock Holmes. That man was also thought to be supernatural. Yet he always said that there was nothing special about being observant. Yet, in the case of Sherlock Holmes and Patrick Jane, there is something very special about the result. The Mentalist shows the viewers exactly how much can be solved just by paying attention. It also forces the viewers to stretch their own mental boundaries. We spend so much time thinking about science being the only way to solve a crime, it's very difficult to understand how one man can solve a lot more just by paying attention.

A great show! I can't wait for it to continue.
  • Not Psych and as much as I like Psych, I'm glad this show has a much more serious side.

It's a guilty pleasure because Simon Baker is so charming and charismatic and the way he plays Patrick Jane echoes that. I've found the first two episodes interesting to watch because the characters are interesting to watch. I've also enjoyed the plot lines with their little twists at the end all set up by the very first scene in the Pilot where Patrick Jane is inadvertently on hand to unmask the perpetrator with the heavy guns rushing in at the last minute. Although that might get old as the series progresses so I do hope that future episodes might not end up with Jane in peril waiting for the cavalry to ride in.
  • This show is off to an interesting start, has great potential...

I like the characters, I like the fact that the show has a running theme... and one main villian that has yet to be seen. This show has some good subplots and some meat on the bone. I like it... and will tune in to see where it goes from here. It has a nice time slot and I think it makes a really good 1-2 punch with NCIS. They compliment each other very nicely... and I'm curious to see where they go with this show. I am a big fan of Simon Baker, and the rest of the cast is pretty cool as well too... so this one has a good chance of being the first big hit of the season. Let's see if they can keep up this momentum!
  • Great to have him back :)This show is awesome :))

I give the show a perfect ten,I was just about ready to give up on TV because of all the silly realaty shows,this show is suspenseful an somewhat a comedy his looks at times are really funny an makes me lauph at the wierdess times in the show, which is unusual for me. I think they choose The perfect person for this show ,also it has a great cast, myself an even my mom enjoys it,its great to see him back and I hope this time he stays!! if you havent tuned in for this show try it once it really is awesome.
  • Not exactly original, but still good.

This isn't an original idea, psych is the obviuous exapmle but it don't think that should really matter. Is anything really original anymore? how mant remakes are there? or British imports? the good thing about the mentalist is that the have developed it past a simple serious version of pysch. the characters are well developed and the actors are good. A good thing is that it doesn't involve the FBI or CIA or the PD foe once. The CBI is different enough that hopefully it will introduce some new ideas. Overall, the mentalist, has started well and hopefully with the introduction of the series bad guy,it will continue to do so
  • It is a darker cousin of Psych, no doubt, but it goes more into the emotional darker world.

Yes well. I say it needs fine tuning mostly in the script. When Jane deducts certain assumptions, it's never explained like on Psych they have the visual effect so you know what he's talking about. In the pilot, how did he know the dead guy was gay I understand the Kimball Cho character is for comedic effect, but he needs to lose the tough guy crap. It's just annoying. There's potential for some really funny and sarcastic bantering between the 3 under characters (Rigsby, Cho, and Pelt), but really it should stay intelligent between Lisbon and Jane. There's obviously some tension there, mostly sexual. Of course in season 1 they should not get together, but really he has a dark past, and they had a chance in the pilot where she could really be his boss, but yet a friend and be sympathetic. Kinda tired of the women being in the lead roll and then written that they need to be tough as nails. Women can lead and still have emotions too.
  • I like the show The Mentalist and hope that more and more people will come to see that this is good. I have not seen Psych so I cannot say that it is or isn't like The Mentalist but I do hope that people will like this show as much as I do!

I keep hearing over and over again that it is just like Psych, but I cannot say otherwise because I haven't seen it, but personally, I think it is very good. I like the comic feel yet seriousness about it.
    Patrick Jane is a very good actor for the part, and I have tuned in obediently for that past two episodes and will for the upcoming episodes as well.
    All of my most favorite TV shows (eg. Black Donnelly's-Moonlight) usually get cancelled or put on hiatus. I pray that this will not end up like them and that more and more people will tune in!
  • "Hey, I used to pretend to be a psychic and rip people off, now I catch criminals."

Save for one fact, I love this show: Simon Brown is SO typically Aussie looking that when an American accent comes out of his mouth, I can't help but twitch. Every time, I'm sitting there and he talks and *guh?* oh yeah, he's playing an American. Whew. Then I relax and it's a minute later and he talks again... Anyways, that's just a personal problem; the show itself is so fantastic! I mean, I'd love it anyways, just based on the premise. It's blatantly "Psych" only not a comedy, adn since I love the premise of "Psych" but can't stand comedy, this is pretty much perfect. Also, I really like educating the True Believers out there who think psychics are real. Shows like Psych and Mentalist are a fantastic way to train your suckers to see how the fakes do it, so they don't get fleeced as quite much by the vultures who prey on grief and naivety. Right, that's my soapbox done; on to the show. The acting is good, the plots are what you expect; the characterization is nice. All in all, I want it on DVD. Or iTuens. Whichever.

• The Mentalist vs Psych

The only thing these two shows have in common is the idea of someone pretending to be psychic. Everything else is very different. As much as I enjopy watching Psych, it does get pretty silly. The Mentalist has more depth to the characters and plots. Simon Baker was great in The Guardian, but he is much more fun in The Mentalist, even considering his character's tragic past. Shawn, in Psych, goes into fits while trying to show his psychic abilities (and convey the evidence he has gathered through his amazing observational talents). Patrick Jane, in The Mentalist, makes calm statements that invariably prove to be true. His quiet, intense, yet slightly amused demeanor is fascinating to watch, at least for this viewer.
  • This show has potential.

This show first caught my eye in previews with a Handsome curly blonde haired Patrick Jane. Not to mention his keen sense of intuitiveness, this show is sure to capture some viewers. The cast of CBI is a little awkward, with a little fine tuning- this show could be much better. Teresa Lisbon for starters brings nothing to the show aside from her authority and a mannish personality. When I watch her connection with the other cast members, I don't see anything. She is holding it back. The show would be much better without her dragging it down. The episode plots alone are excellent and Jane really brings his A game. Simon Baker, I'm sure you will have a fulfilling career.
  • I love a surprise, be it a character or a show or both.

"The Mentalist" gave me the surprise of this season. I watched it expecting to dislike it, and not only did I like it, I committed to watching it weekly on the strength of Simon Baker and his "Patrick Jane" alone.
    Initially, he WAS the show, but he was strong enough and interesting enough in the character he wove to bring me back. Since episode 4, all the cast members have started to "introduce" themselves and the introductions have been successful.
    If I have a criticism, and even this is being resolved satisfactorily, it is (was) with Robin Tunney's character...in that she HAD no character! The "tough, strong, silent female" should not mean "the great stone wall". Female characters in TV tend to be represented by the brainless bimbo with big...hair..., or by the wholly intellectual but utterly unfeeling harridan. This show was in danger of slotting its female lead (Tunney) into the latter category, but the writers/creators/network seem to have recognized that and made the necessary corrections via a very smooth episode-by-episode glimpse into "the woman behind the job".
    Kudos to CBS...they are finally doing something right!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10