The Mentalist

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 23, 2008 Between Seasons

hanpuusi

The Mentalist Fan Reviews (276)

• Ironically, RJ's Death Killed The Mentalist!

For those of you whining about the end of The Mentalist, you have only yourselves to blame. Your constant bitching about RJ finally got to the writers, who allowed themselves to be pressured into a sloppy premature wrapup to the RJ storyline, leaving behind a rudderless show. RJ anchored Jane and gave the show depth and weight. Once that was eliminated, the show became adrift, and ratings tanked worse than ever before.

Shame on Heller for caving to all the anti-RJ nonsense, and completely screwing over all the loyal viewers who were following all the specific clues laid out over a period of 5 years, only to see them evaporate into a cloud of absolute meaninglessness.

Goodbye to Jane and the CBI. You're all a mere shadow of what you once were. No more smileys on the wall, and certainly not on the faces of the viewers.
  • All shows since Red Johns demise

I quit watching after Red Johns boring death . Seriously , this man tortured people and he dies by a pathetic choking !!!
  • not a fan anymore

the script new cast and FBI stories are boring, i also miss the original cast. Even PJ looks patethic
  • a bad copy of castle and white collar

used to be great, my favorite show and my favorite cast. No need of RJ, but i don't like the new storyline and the new cast. Miss the original one. I miss the CBI
  • Mental

I like this show because most of the time you can't even tell who did it, or how they did it and then when Patrick Jane explains it at the end, it all makes sense! All the episodes are interesting and they are all different. I like how there was 1 link for most of the episodes which was Red John, but they still had other cases as well. I really think this show deserves a few more seasons. As for Lisbon and Jane- why not.
  • Criminal

It would be criminal to even think of cancelling such a fantastic show. We dont need Red John anymore, I think they have done a great job without him. But, just maybe the writers could come up with some heinous mastermind that starts the new series and continues in part right through to the end of the series when they catch the criminal mastermind. Either way, I'll still be watching it. Thank you to all who take part in the making of The Menatlist.
  • The Mentalist

Come on---thinking of canceling The Mentalist ! With all of the crap that's on, what with the "naked" shows, the wanna be stars, so called reality shows "they" would seriously consider canceling a show that actually entertains. How could any show survive with football as a lead on ? Even trying to record it was a chore, not knowing when it starts or ends
  • Help!

How do you watch The Mentalist, please help ;(
  • WHY!!

I love this show. But even though the first 8 episodes was some of the most exciting in tv history i wish they would use a little more time on red john. Theyve spent 5 seasons taking it insaly and then in only 8 episodes they really rushed to get him out of the show. I too thought that red john would be a little more difficult to get. But yeah. Lisbon and Jane?! Really! Terrible! I could see jane with Kim after the whole mexico thing. And she seemed interested. I should've seen it coming with all the comments on "have they ever been a thing, romantic and whatnot" I think it ruined it a bit. And they didnt go into the list of tiger people at all. Dissapointed. Its like Dexter and Debra. Not good
  • The creator ruined the show

I love this show!Havn't seen any in season new episodes look so horrible!Because it dosn't take place in takes place in a diffrent they don't work for the CBI anymore,they now work for the is diffrent people on there new and Rigsby are usaully never still is a consaulted,for the and Lizben work in diffrent is diffrent people on their new are going back early next still over did it way to much on their new to many shows,they do it so is so much diffrent then the other why the creator is and idiot,and there is something horribly wrong with or she still,ruined the show,because they over did it way to the still shouldn't have the privealge,to own the runing the show i hope creator,Bruno Heller a horible they don't desverve the whole FBI,thing is a major ruined the whole was why it was on the bubble for so could easyly go they didn't at the end of were lucky it didn't get that they ruined,the show and did not change it,yet and it still got are so so would they do it?If you agree with me thank write in Creator Bruno Heller,should gave it a one for the episodes with the FBI,thing.
  • Love this episode

I don't really like how it ends with Red john coz i thought red john would be someone who is more powerful and smarter.

It is a pity that Risby n Van pelt left the team. But the whole new FBI team seems to work out great; especially Abbot, love this guy.

As for the ep22, so touching i cried when Jane said I love you to Lisbon. Finally can see Jane n Lisbon being together after all theses years. They are perfect match. I mean ya, maybe Lisbon is not as clever as Jane, however, they are a good fit being together. They have something special between them n I dont really think there is any other woman suits Jane. Just love this two so much.

I just wanna say, this is the best TV series ever. I'm so in love with it n waiting for the Season 7. Hopefully there will be season 8,9,10 LOL!

MOREOVER, just let you guys know that the Mentalist has a lot of fans in China as well. And they want keeping this show going.
  • WRONG WRONG WRONG

I'm with Cho. Lisbon and Jane are like brother and sister -- mother and child, even. It's absolutely awful to make them into a romantic couple. I don't even know if I can even keep watching, it's so awful, so WRONG WRONG WRONG. It's like watching incest. Yuck. Cho always knows where it's at. His take on it is my only hope that the writers are going to have them find out it's a mistake -- as it always is when people try to turn a friendship into a love affair. Oh, lord. I can't believe the majority of fans want this. I'm here to say that I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT!!! And who wants a Jane who behaves "like a normal person?" His whole character is at stake here, along with all the humor and pleasure of the show, which all emanates from his non-normalcy. The way I see it, Jane has "implanted" on Lisbon, like a baby duckling brought up by humans will think a human is its mother. Lisbon "took care of" Jane and was absolutely there for him no matter what he did in the years when he was so grief-stricken. But now look at the way he turned into a complete child in his declaration of love. He's a man, an uncompromisingly strong man, who against the most powerful authorities of the state, dedicated 8 years of his life and was willing to spend the rest of it in prison for the sake of avenging his wife and child's murder. And now he's this wide-eyed little baby wanting to kiss mommy on the lips. Gawd, it's just awful to me. Please make it not happen, please, please, please. Thank you, Flatto and patrishdehler, for agreeing with me -- in essence if perhaps not in detail.

Hoping for a Season 7 that gets us back on track. This has been by far my favorite show for all 6 years, but a Lisbon/Jane mating would absolutely ruin it for me. Mistake, writers, mistake.

... I'm coming back to say that I thought it was time for the RJ theme to end, that I thought it was ended to perfection, and that my enjoyment of the show is not in any way lessened by the loss of that theme. So, whoever is in charge, WE WANT JANE SEASON 7!!!
  • Jane & Lisbon Together Makes Sense

Jane & Lisbon getting together is a natural progression of their relationship. No one would go along with Jane's various schemes for so many years, giving him so much leeway to bend the rules and law strictly out of friendship.

The whole confession of love was well done and their chemistry was great IMO.
  • End of series love

I like the cast on the show, Especially Simon Baker!! the love of Lisbon & Jane was unexpected, as I thought the pair worked well together, with Jane winding Lisbon up & cracking cases just by observation & intuition!!

I hope there's another series later in the year, now the two are together & solving more FBI cases..............
  • I'm happy with the renewal, but the last one. :/

This is the most clever series I've ever saw; THE MENTALIST CANNOT DIE!. Patrick Jane isn't just an intelligent, smart and creative guy, but also hilarious. I just love Simon Baker and the way his character puts everything together just with his huge sense of observation without loosing the humor, making the little details count and making it so easy, we don't see TV shows like this nowhere. After RJ died the "new beginning" was refreshing and encouraging for the TV show in general, no strings attached for Jane anymore so the inevitable love between Jane and Lisbon would finally take place. I think the tie has always been there, didn't happen all overnight, it took 6 seasons to make it happen; but for obvious reasons it wasn't a viable path for Jane at that time; his whole family was murdered and he needed to catch the killer, something completely understandable. I'm so happy Jane and Lisbon are finally together and double happy 'cause we'll able to see more of those two in this final season.
  • Stupid love crap

Lisbon and Jane. No way.
  • Romance doesn't work

I never saw any real chemistry between Jane and Lisbon as romantic couple - it just doesn't work for me. She has a boyfriend, new job and moving away and suddenly Jane professes his love and she drops everything. I've had a boyfriend like that - once he won you back, he lost interest. It called game playing. Quite disappointed - it's become a so-so from what it once was.
  • Just Gets Better

I love this show i am die hard fan and i am glad that CBS picked it back up for a season 7 Simon Baker is the man and i hope this show gets another 3 or 4 seasons after the next
  • Why it's the same script every week

"By rkpayto, May 12, 2014

It's a cop show/procedural. The show is called 'The Mentalist'.

How else *would* an episode end? This is the basic premise of the show. The show has a good fan base because people want to know *how* Jane does what he does.

• How they Get Away With It (Every Week)

rkpayto wrote: "How do they get away with the exact same script every week? Jane tricks the bad guy into confessing, what a surprise!"

_______________________________________________________________________________________

They "get away with it" because people like the characters.

I still think it's a really good show. What I think it needs is new (really good) story arc.
  • every week

• Renewal

I've just read on the BBC news website that this great show has been renewed for another season. Great news.

12th May 2014
  • Hitting its stride

There has been some big changes on The Mentalist this season. It has taken a little while to re-establish itself again in terms of the new characters and new location, but I think it's definitely found its groove and I've been really enjoying it. It will be such a pity if this series gets cancelled just when it's found a new lease on life, creatively speaking.

I always enjoyed the Red John storyline and wasn't one of those crying for it to be resolved because Patrick Jane's character was inexplicably tied to his pursuit of RJ. I felt wanting RJ caught was a bit like wanting 'The Fugitive' cleared and no longer on the run. My fears were confirmed initially as the series seemed to be a little lost for a while but this second half of the season has been excellent. *Sigh, I guess if they're going to cancel it, I really hope Jane and Lisbon get together in the last episode.
  • Love the mentalist

I love this show please keep it going hope u guys are reading this and how can the fans keep this show going
  • Please renew the show

I love this show, and i love simon baker, i am waiting for this show for every week. Don't take it away from my life, I have told all my friend to watch this and the way to solve case were interesting in some episodes.
  • Renew the series - change nights

The Mentalist and The Good Wife are my favorite shows, but I miss their shows the most, due to the common delays airing the shows due to sports and specials frequently aired on Sundays. Both shows had a better viewer rating when they were on different nights, other than Sunday. I keep seeing that the Mentalist is on the cusp of cancellation. Renew and change to another night, Please.
  • Go back to CBI

The team needs to go back to the CBI. The new FBI thing is a failure; dull, boring and Jane is not showcased as he was at CBI. So, resurrect the original team and take them back to California with Lisbon in command and Jane as consultant.
  • silver wings

I loved it. I think the show just keeps getting better. I want more JISBON. SIMON BAKER is the sexest and most talented actor on tv.
  • Blinking Red Light Episode Script Review

I felt the story line was very good. Though the casting of the characters such as "Panzer" and "Hibock" didn't work for me, they were not believable. Hibock was not threatening enough, you needed to cast someone who was more rugged looking, someone who looked like he belonged in jail. "Panzer" on the other hand gave no hint of violent nature even when directly confronted at the "Karen Cross Show". "Panzer" should have had a duel personality which I don't believe was prevalent enough in his character; the person you would want to cast for this part would be someone who has passive aggressive personality. Someone who looks calm most of the time but, you know if you said the wrong thing he would blow up, you would be able to see this just by looking in his eyes at the right time.

The ending was brilliant, I liked the part about Patrick walking over to "Panzer's" body, which he doesn't even look at causing the audience to wonder why, and then showing "Red John's" insignia on the wall was a shock; but, Patrick said it Red John wasn't dead.
  • Post Red John.

I just want it known, I love, love, love life after Red John. In my opinion that storyline was dragging down the series after season 3. I was happy with and how it finally ended, and I'm incredibly happy with the current plotlines and overall story. Just wanted it to be said to counter-act some of the more pessimistic/whiny reviews.
MNT