The Mentalist

Scarlett Fever

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Feb 17, 2009 on CBS

• A woman gets killed while throughing a charity party at her house....

A little disappointed I have been with this and previous episodes from The Mentalist. There was no storyline with this episode, what happened with the magic from Jane to solve mysteries and solve people intentions. I guess it was gone along with the plot. The reason the murders occurred were the best part of the whole episode. The woman at the club and surrounding the victim were shallow and the interviews were stupid as well.
    I just hope it's only for this episodes, because previous episode the only good part was the character development on Cho, but now on this one I couldn't find anything appealing but the part where Jane talks with the kid about his lost.
    I loved this show from the start everything about it attracted my attention, most of all the gorgeous Simon Baker. Now its becoming a little boring and hope their writers or network get a wake up call. We want to see more Red John, Jane's magic or Jane and Lisbon hook up something please.
  • Country club shenanigans.

This was another decent episode of The Mentalist, although I was disappointed that there was no reference to Red John so the main story arc was not touched yet again. The plot was not as good as some of the earlier episodes and the ending was particularly weak. There were some nice humourous moments, mainly between Rigsby and Cho. Patrick Jane did not have the nice dialogue I usually expect from him, sadly. Hopefully things will pick up with this show and the end part of the season will start to get the Red John story moving again and some better stuff from Patrick.
  • A woman is poisoned at a ritzy country club and Jane must sort through the mountain of lies and rumors.

Patrick Jane is in rare form in this episode. A woman named Scarlet Marquesa is poisoned during a party and Jane must sort through the lies and rumors of the club and communities socialites. It is found that the woman was selling jewelry, which was a front for her selling of drugs to ladies in the community. Scarlet was also the head of the woman's committee, a prestigious position that another woman named Mandy Riljek also wanted. The key that belonged to a safe in the office of the chairperson of the woman's committee was missing. The CBI initiated a rumor among the woman that the office will be raided in the morning and the safe will be opened. The CBI is waiting that night in the office to see who would show up and it was Mandy Riljek. She becomes the first suspect, until she turns up stabbed to death in the massage room. CBI spreads the rumor that Victor Marquesa will be charged and arrested for killing his wife and Mandy. At the Marquesa house the press and pretty much the whole neighborhood are there for the arrest. When Oscar, the son of Victor Maquesa, is screaming for his father. The real culprit Heather Prentiss comes forward and confesses to the crimes. Her 16 year old daughter had died a couple of years earlier in an automobile accident where she had taken some painkillers and drank some alcohol before the crash. Heather had found out that Scarlet was selling the drugs and killed her. She killed Mandy when she heard her saying that she would continue selling the drugs when she became the head of the Woman's Committee.

Patrick Jane flushes out the guilty party once again.
  • Jane versus Desperate Housewives. When a country club wife gets poisoned at her own party, the CBI team must figure out the who and why. Some interesting character development of Patrick Jane.

This episode was fairly predictable and not the best in terms of plots this season. However, I have to say that the character of Patrick Jane is well written, believable and beautifully portayed by Simon Baker. The scene in the interrogation room left me so heartbroken him. He plays the emotions so subtly with just a hint of empathy tears and a hard swallow here or there. But the effect is that we really see how much he is still hurting from his own experiences losing his family. The rage and need for vengeance is so close to boiling over every minute of every day for him while he plays the happy go lucky school boy image up. After Lisbon leaves the room, the short but intense dialogue that follows:
    "Now that it's done, do you feel better?" (or something to that effect)
    "No, it doesn't change a thing."
    The look on Jane's face was so powerful. What must he be thinking. This scene ranks up there with the end scene from Seeing Red. I can't wait to see the climax to this storyline of Jane and his need for vengeance. I have several ideas on how it may play out but I hope that the writers surprise us all. Can't wait for March!
  • An episode with an atmosphere a little bit more glamorous than we are used to for The Mentalist.

The whole episode is revolved around the inhabitants of a wealthy suburb and their ladies' country club. One of the ladies is murdered by poisoning and the suspicion falls first on her husband, until another one dies and it is revealed that another lady killed them both, because they were dealing the prescription pills that caused her daughter's car accident. So you can imagine there are a lot of mansions, poolhouses, tennis matches, luxurious spa treatments, somewhat ambiguous and certainly extravagant fashion statements from the ladies, gossip, sex scandals, financial scandals and whatnots. Not my favourite atmosphere but it helped to incude all kinds of misleading information that threw my estimate for the killer back and forth from one person to the other. That one worked well. Lots of room for scandal within a wealthy, politically correct suburb.

My favourite parts of the episode, the swordfight Patrick used to cheer the little boy up (it just put a wide smile in my face to see him communicate with the child so warmly), the make-believe they did to bring the killer out, and the sexual tension between Patrick and the killer. Though when I noticed that he liked her in the first place I suspected she was the one, it always seems to happen like that. Patrick likes someone and then he has to put them in jail. Also, Rigsby deciding to date that ferocious older lady, Jackie, and Van Pelt's reaction to that... It will be really funny to see them together in the next epi.
  • A death at a country club.

6.7
    I am a big fan of Desperate Housewives and The Mentalist, but a combination of the two? Not so much. That's exactly what we got here with Patrick Jane and CBI investigating a string of deaths at a country club.

The episode had your signature comedy moments with Patrick having a sword fight with a little boy, and Cho thinking Rigsby was trying to set him up with an older woman (in the end it was Rigsby who went out with a cougar, much to Grace's displeasure). The story itself was weak and unappealing, and a tad hard to follow (the women all looked the same). Not a terribly bad offering, but one of the worst from the series thus far.
  • The team investigates the murder of a rich socialite during a party. The investigation into her death uncovers a secret life that even her husband was unaware of.

Another solid episode. The team investigates the death of a wealthy socialite who dies of poisoning during a party at her home. The more the CBI dig, the more they find that the life she was portraying wasn't anything like the life she was leading. Jane is in his element, mingling and chatting up the rich ladies at the club, while uncovering the secrets that these suburban housewives hold. In the end, it's his relationship with the victim's wife, and a bit of role-playing that bring the killer to justice. The plot is somewhat predictable, with the finger pointed first at the husband, than the other members of the club and then back at the husband. In the end, the killer is one that Jane suspected from the start, and needed the entire episode to pin it on her.
MNT