The Mentalist

Something Rotten in Redmund

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 05, 2012 on CBS

7.7
  • Alas, poor ghost!

Great, great episode. I found myself enjoying it not only because of its entertainment value, but also for personal reasons. I too have rehearsed those exact lines of Hamlet's and reenacted that very scene in school and I can't help but smile every time I hear them quoted.

This episode was full of goodies, from Jane's creative pursuit of "bad kids" to the trick used to reveal the principal's secret and of course the Hamlet production. The guest writer, Rebecca Cutter, did a great job weaving together an interesting story that despite the obvious murderer kept me intrigued. Show, make sure to keep her around for next season!

It was nice watching Jane play around like his usual self and his final rouse just brought a happy smile to this viewers lips as he looked through the curtains and it dawned on Lisbon what was going on. Van Pelt got some love for once instead of just being struck by whackos and general douchebags and I think she needed that after all she's gone through in this season. Hey, even Rigsby felt like his usual self this time around, and his little side story was cute all the way through. The end of it with Jane's expression was unexpected and heart-breaking.

Highlights include the scene in the principal's office with Lisbon acting as a mother and Jane as a stubborn kid, the shoe scene and yet again, Hamlet.

It seems this season will be going out on a high, since now only the greatest writers remain and when Mahony last week and this guest writer also managed to contribute, that makes it all the better. 9.5/10