The Mentalist

The Crimson Hat

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 17, 2012 on CBS

• Did Jane fake a breakdown?Or did he fake that he was faking?

On a cold,wet Summer's day,it wasn't only the weather causing chills!I'm beginning to think that Patrick Jane is a closet psychopath.Certainly if this episode is any thing to go by.That last menacing comment to Lorelei,so quiet with his hands around her neck,telling her that she would break.It was a not so thinly veiled threat.The acting from all was superb and so was the script and direction.On edge the whole way through.The CBI members cast putting over subtly that perhaps Jane is not to be completely trusted anymore.A person that they must watch and be wary of now.The way that Simon Baker can switch from "cheeky chappy"; to an immensely damaged one in the blink of an eye has always impressed me.Since watching this episode today I am even more impressed.What is really hidden behind that broad grin and twinkling eyes? The way things are heading do we really want to know?Or is it too horrific?Awaiting developments in the next series with bated breath.Oh, and just a thought.I know it's been mooted before but IS Patrick Jane actually Red John? A con man conning himself?