The Mentalist

Season 6 Episode 1

The Desert Rose

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 29, 2013 on CBS

Who was the Episode MVP ?

Episode Discussion (9)
Hmm, don't know if DexterMorgan2 above has insider information but the news in his review seems to be that this is the last season of the Mentalist.

Where does this info come from?

I certainly can't find any evidence to confirm it.

Given the stellar quality of this seasons opener, putting both NCIS and Castle to shame, there's simply no way I can see The Mentalist ending this series, unless Jane gets killed and that's not very likely, now is it?
Ratings, my friend, ratings.
The ratings for The Mentalist are most definitely not at "cancel" stage;

This shows the ratings to be on the good side of center, so I'd wait 'till we see how it pans out when the Red John reveal is made, when I expect the ratings to jump solidly.

If the show keeps up this quality, I for one, will be a guaranteed watcher.
The List of Seven - 1) Bret Stiles talks like he could be but
physically capable? not RJ 2) Gale Bertram could have resources to
master mind but too close to the group to be him 3) Ray Haffner a
disgruntled x-agent ... nah 4) Reede Smith could be as probably in
right 'age group' but what would he have against Jane? 5) Robert
Kirkland 6) Sheriff Thomas McAllister probably too old and distant to
be constant factor 7) Brett Partridge well we'll see if he's finished
... oh! 5) Bob hmm ... Homeland Security Agent could be right age
group, would have the most access to all aspects and people under his
control, therefore ... as for the episode's biggest letdown was the
action/over-action of Lisbon storming off from the diner and Jane, and
the blooper ... the right handshake offered to Lisbon by the female
officer shown left-handed at initial crime scene (check her right wrist).
oh and the next frame victim's fingers cupped / no keys to hand laying flat with 2 keys and wall photo of girlfriend very blonde to brunette? ...
Jane is a schizophrenic patient. How else would Red John have the names as Jane 2 months ahead.
I like this a lot and would be amazing if so but I would assume not, maybe the couch is bugged but RJ used Lorelei for the video and before Jane had the nap, she was dead! Can't wait for Season 6 to start, I think Ray is too tall to be RJ same as Bertram, Kirkland is a possibility and Brett Partridge but he may be too obvious unless they go for a double bluff. Whatever happens it will be good!

Spoiler Alert
: What follows are my thoughts about the Red John mystery. If I'm right, it's a major spoiler. If I'm wrong, it's just fan fiction. I'm putting it in the discussion of this episode because that's where the show will start to resolve RJ's identity.
Spoiler???
I think Red John has some combination of hypnosis, charisma, and drugs that he uses to put people under his control. That's how he keeps getting patsies to kill and die for him. Patrick Jane is smart enough that on him, it's only a truth serum.

Further, I think Jane's couch in the break room is bugged, so he can be talked to and listened to in his drugged sleep. It's the tea that provides the drug; that may be how it's discovered (when someone else has some tea.)

I don't know which of the 7 names mentioned is Red John. I don't even know who some of them are. Since it's impossible to tell 1 hour stories on TV about that many suspects, I believe they'll get it down to a small number in a short time.

They also set up something with Lisbon that I think will be used. Jane made a big deal about the fact that Lisbon is a bad liar, so I think she winds up having to fool Jane with a lie to actually trap Red John (otherwise Patrick Jane might give away the truth during a nap on the couch).

Bizarre? Yes. But it fits the general theme established throughout by Jane – There's no such thing as a mentalist or mind reader, hence Red John couldn't be really reading Jane's thoughts, yet he knew the 7 names shortly after his nap on the couch.