The Mentalist

The Red Box

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 01, 2010 on CBS

7.6
  • A plodding plot is enlivened by the introduction of a new ass-kicking character.

5.5
    The main plot was written in a very boring way. Even the scenes with the the 12-year old little girl weren't very compelling. All of the supporting cast were annoying, including the security guard, Bandino. And except for Van Pelt and Rigsby who had a couple really funny scenes, it seemed like the regular cast were sleepwalking through their scenes.

There were some interesting things that came out of the episode though: - The Scotland Yard inspector allows the issue around Jane's vendetta against Red John to be revived. Will Jane be convinced that it will be the wrong move for him to kill Red John when he gets the chance? - Hightower should be an interesting character to watch. Someone whose personality is just as strong as Jane's but in a different way. For those who were confused (spoilers ahead): - Jane lied to Anglet about him having bought a fake ring. Under threat of death, the tutor had given up the real ring to the security guard. Jane uses this lie to catch the security guard and Anglet. Anglet then cuts a deal to avoid jail time by returning the real ring. Anyone think we might see Anglet again in a future episode? There wasn't enough time to really make him all that interesting except for the fact he always gets away. - Hightower's threat to Jane to can Lisbon should Jane fall out of line is real. Jane knows that the best chance he has of catching Red John is to remain a part of the CBI. This has been demonstrated in past episodes.
  • Where did the real ring come from?

2.5
    Did I miss something? In the end Jane gave the Scotland Yard guy the real ring ... but where did it come from? We didn't see Jane or any of the detectives actually find it.

(Unless of course we are supposed to believe the improbable scenario that Jane tricked a seasoned professional thief and dealer of valuable stolen goods like Anglet by lying to him about having bought a fake ring. -Something which wasn't made clear anyway. And we are supposed to believe that Anglet would just take Janes' word for it without testing the authenticity of the ring in his possession before confronting the real murder who sold it to him, that indeed Anglet would not have first tested the authenticity of the ring before he first bought it, before forking out numerous sums of money for it. Anglet did not come across as an amateur.)

Maybe the snore-fest induced by the introduction of new boss Hightower, caused me to dose through some of the more important plotlines.

Hightower only servers the purpose of introducing artificial, badly-written, tension into the office environment of the show. When she informed Jane that he was an important asset but Lisbon was dispensable, Jane simply needed to response with, "If Lisbon goes, I go" –and like magic, there disappears this forced, artificial office tension.

The writers are trying –badly so- to make Hightower appear as a threat to the stability of the team, another obstacle they have to overcome each and every episode in doing their jobs. Yet it doesn't work, as she is simply a toothless tiger, because she is reliant on keeping Jane around. She basically told him that for anything short of murder, he has a free pass. She is therefore powerless, if Jane so wills it.

She would have greater power, if she threatened to get rid of Jane, stating that regardless of how successful he has been, if he steps out of line in future he would be out, or would be jailed if he broke the law.

As for Rigsby and Van Pelt ... oh come on. It constantly annoys me that in Television-land as soon as two people fall in love, they can't keep their hands off each other, especially in the workplace, to the point of risking their very careers (even the beautifully crafted "Dexter" had this idiotic cliche last season.) The lovers will 'fight' over who should leave and change their career paths, arguing over whose career is more important and who should sacrifice theirs for the sake of the relationship once it is in the open, and yet then risk getting fired by continuously smooching on the job.

An side: Hightower has threatened to deal with this as well –Oh the tension, however can I cope? My God what is she going to do to poor Rigsby and Van Pelt?

Nothing, if Jane won't allow it. More forced, artificial tension by lazy writers.

Here is some advice for the writers. Please concentrate on constructing a series about a police unit solving extraordinary crimes with the assistance of an extraordinary and talented individual who is able to provide insights beyond the average person, and less on turning this show into a soap-opera. In this regard, the shows "Castle" and "Psych" have "The Mentalist" beat hands down.
  • New character, Hightower, is a complete distraction to a successful series.

There was nothing special about the crime or the guest cast in this episode. More importantly, I'm not sure what the creative team is trying to accomplish with the addition of the new boss--my guess is that polling showed they needed to add more diversity in the casting. Worst case is that they make the character permanent AND make the role substantial. Best case is that they dump her. Hopefully her role will be very minimal, if they keep her. I think the drama should unfold in the field, not cluttering up the storyline with office politics. When Hightower told Jane that he was important to the case work and Lisbon was dispensable, I thought he's tell her he wouldn't stay on the job under the conditions she, Hightower, had outlined. Unfortunately, the writers didn't give him the needed lines. One of the great features of TiVo is that I'll be able to skip past the Hightower scenes and stay with the plot.
  • madeline hightower joins the cbi team and lets just say shes not easygoing

this episode was intersing and really good. madeline hightower joins th cbi team as there new boss and let me just say shes not easy going and shes tough, she seems to notice alot its almost like she had eyes in the back of her head. lisbon to me she seems intimidated by hightower but thats my point of view and another thing i noticed is that hightower she seems to have more respect for jane than anyone else on the team just about and im probally wrong when i say this and im most likely not even close but what if red john was a women and what if red john turns out to be madeline hightower i know that sounds crazy probally but that is my opinion even though im most likely wrong. but it just seems she has more respect for jane than the other members of the cbi team but in again i could have a 1% of being right
  • The Red Box

A very slow moving episode of The Mentalist tonight; very slow moving. If this episode was in a race against a snail, the snail would win.

I watched tonight's episode with my mom who was watching The Mentalist for the first time, and it is safe to say that she probably won't be tuning in next week (she fell asleep during the show.)

Patrick Jane had a few funny moments, but the story just felt like it could have been told in 3 minutes and the writers were really reaching to make this last for an hour.

I am still a huge fan of this show and am glad that it's impostor Lie to Me is done, but this was not a great installment.
  • Jane make's me nervous, in a good way. For a second, I thought they were going to write off one of the characters.

Not sure if this has been noticed before. In the last episode I noticed all the Apple computers had their logo covered. In this episode, the first computer shown had the Apple logo covered. The rest of the computers back at the office had a fake Window's logo on the back of the computers. I'm guessing Microsoft is now paying for this as advertising. Jane make's me nervous, in a good way. For a second, I thought they were going to write off one of the characters (Wayne of Grace). Then I thought they might even write off Lisbon. Hightower seems to be going to have a more hands on approach.
  • There is a new sheriff in town and her name is Madeline Hightower.

This is probably the best episode since Bosco's death. The storyline, though a little hard to follow at first, was really quite interesting. Jane was in "better-than-recent" form and the tension surrounding the impending arrival of the new Special Agent In Charge(SAIC) was well played.

Van Pelt revealed a hidden sense of humor when she jerked Rigsby's chain about the stripper. This was a pleasant development in her character and she may need it after Hightower gets through with her and Rigsby's "fraternization." On the subject of Hightower, Aunjanue Ellis was superb in her role as the incoming SAIC. She nailed her arrival role perfectly as a new boss, establish authority unambiguously and don't blink. Season 2 is winding down and the show needs a huge infusion of drama to balance Jane's wittiness. Hopefully, Hightower's arrival will provide the impetus. As Jane remarks at the episode's close, "She's good."
  • I don't like "Madeline Hightower"!

She reminds me of the "Hart" character on NCIS, and I am already playing series writer here in my mind; planning her expeditious demise!

Okay, I understand the show maybe needs to introduce some new lines of tension. But then why not go the "Red John" route a bit more? I also understand that both Jane and Lisbon can and will take care of themselves, but this...this...person, is a threat to Van Pelt and Rigsby and that will just never do. And on top of that I feel the story line tonight took a back seat to introducing this hopefully short-lived internal intrigue, and well, you know...

I just don't like "Madeline Hightower". :o{