The Mentalist

Throwing Fire

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Dec 17, 2009 on CBS

7.6
  • Weak.

Simon Baker's Patrick Jane was shown to have a troubled past that saw him manipulating people for money as a child. I don't much care for this development and feel it was too Lost-esque. This is something Sawyer would do, not Patrick Jane, no matter how much he was taken advantage of.

The storyline in the present wasn't great either. It was a bit too slow-moving and presented very few little shocks. Come on, a Hispanic player lying about his age? That may have been relevant, what, seven years ago when it was going on in the Little League World Series? Just not a great ep.
  • Great episode!! One of the best :)

One of the lighter Mentalist episodes, this one focuses more on Jane, rather than the murder. At the beginning, Patrick gets knocked out by a flying base ball: not a good start! Through out the episode, he faints/falls over/complains of feeling dizzy numerous times. Just before the closing credits, Lisbon states that he should see a doctor, but Jane refuses. Not 5 seconds later, he fakes feeling dizzy just to annoy her.
    Jane uses a wonderful trick with some led under his thumbnail (I'll have to try that one!!) to make the baseball players think that he could read minds.
    One of my favourites, second only to Code Red (Season 2, Episode 16)

• This episode was fantastic!

Wow! I can't understand why the rating for this episode is so low. It was a great episode, and this is certaintly a mystery for Jane and the team to solve. Anyways, I thought this episode was fantastic in every sense of the word. I absolutly loved the flashback scenes, and thought the kid who played young Jane (Chris Brochu) did a spot-on job with his portrayal of a younger Simon Baker. I do agree with other reviewers that case in the present wasn't the most interesting and was slightly predictable, but what makes "The Mentalist" enjoyable isn't the cases, it's the characters and the character interactions, which we certaintly got plenty of this week. All in all, this superb and immensely enjoyable from start to finish and certainly not as bad as the current 8.7 rating suggests, which, I realize is a pretty high rating, but, with the ratings of all the episodes an 8.7 makes it one of the least poular episodes of all 33 episodes of the series, which, I don't think it's that bad.
  • This was a skillfully scripted episode. The murder case was really no more than an aside to the real story of father-son relationships and the impact on the psychological development of the son.

The real crux of the storyline was the vivid insight into Jane's past with his father and the further revelations of Cho's past with his father as well as his gang affiliation. Cho is definitely becoming a staunch ally of Jane, which in the end will certainly affect his attitude toward the capture of Red John. He is probably already of the mind that Red John should not be taken alive, but that remains to be seen.

The murder investigation was interesting in that the suspect pool was so large. As usual, Jane was pursuing his own assumptions(with a head injury nonetheless) while everyone else was going in the opposite direction. Cho was the only one that stuck with Jane and covered his back. Again, the Jane/Cho connection is likely to be a factor for the remainder of the season. Cho is haboring some intense anger and the murder of Bosco and his agents has provided fuel for the fire.

The tension is subtly being played out in the episodes following the massacre at CBI Headquarters. This makes "The Mentalist" a must watch for the remainder of the season.
  • The episodes like this that push the puzzle pieces together are great!

This and the flash-back episodes remind me of Conan Doyle or Rex Stout in their ingeniously pushing puzzle pieces together over time to make the characters (especially the lead-characters, like Jane, Holmes, Wolf, et al) more credible. The stories/tales are great and fun conundrums without knowing the character(s) back-story or stories, but seeing the reveal unfold as to why these characters are so observant, fascinating, and even bizarre makes the whole body of work really addictive to those of us who are addictive-type fans. The back-stories on the side-kicks are great too: Lisbon, Cho, & Co. and infrequent enough to add a greater entertainment depth to the stories.