NBC (ended 2014)

It's not even February yet, and in the television world that means it's wayyyyyyy too early to start betting on which shows will be canceled this year. So in the interest of keeping the internet full of wildly speculative articles that will be debunked as frauds a few months down the line, let's start betting on which shows will be canceled this year!

I've looked over the major networks' lineups and selected seven shows that I think are on the way out, based on the fact that they're pretty much already dead. Read on for some harsh truths, and if you're a fan of any of the shows listed below, it's time to start saying your goodbyes. 

Note: In favor of keeping things interesting, I left off the guaranteed goners like Killer Women, Betrayal, Hostages, and anything else that we already know doesn't have a shot at coming back. Also, I reserve the right to be entirely wrong about any and all of the shows on this list.

The Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves the World

Big stars! Broad comedy! Huge bombs! These two sitcoms were the centerpiece of NBC's new Thursday-night comedy block, and armed with one-time NBC comedy stars Sean Hayes and Michael J. Fox, the network figured, "What could possibly go wrong?" Well, how about everything? After a decent debut that drew more than 7 million viewers, The Michael J. Fox Show has circled the drain, dipping under 2 million total viewers for a mid-January episode. And while its neighbor Sean Saves the World hasn't suffered the same precipitous drop, that's only because it didn't have as far to fall. Sean premiered to an audience of just 4.5 million, but would murder puppies to achieve that number again, hitting a series low of 2.58 million viewers last week (yes, it's doing better than The Michael J. Fox Show). Even though there's a believable scenario where both of these shows survive based on their supposed star power and their network's knack for making brainless decisions, I'm guessing even NBC can't deny those numbers, and that they'll finish out their orders (22 episodes for MJF, 18 episodes for Sean) and then disappear forever. And then the network will look for other old TV stars to throw a bunch of money at.

UPDATE (1/28): Less than 24 hours after we published this story, Sean Saves the World got the axe. One show down, six to go! UPDATE #2 (2/5): The Michael J. Fox Show is also a goner!

Revolution 

Eric Kripke's post-apocalyptic sci-fi drama was once the biggest new show on TV thanks to a boost from The Voice, but NBC abandoned it in Season 2, essentially leaving the show on the doorstep of a house whose owner is on vacation forever (Wednesdays at 8pm). Yes, an off-season overhaul in the writers' room and the creative team's realization that they failed in Season 1 resulted in an inspired start to Season 2—but it was too late for fans who felt spurned by Season 1, and the uptick in quality couldn't be sustained (we got about four good episodes before the show fell apart). Revolution's ratings and discussions have slumped to series lows, and even the readership on my weekly reviews of the series has dropped off dramatically (I try not to take it too personally... but it's just so hard). NBC had to give the show a second season based on its fantastic start, but what would be the point in giving it a third? Time to re-roll the dice on another mediocre sci-fi series.

The Neighbors

Did you even know that The Neighbors was still on the air? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. Well, it's in its second season after a miracle renewal, and ABC moved it to Fridays to die because it had nothing else to put on Friday nights. And that's the story of how a goofy single-camera sitcom about aliens living in New Jersey ended up sandwiched between Tim Allen's multi-camera comedy and Shark Tank; ratings-wise, the mismatched mash-up has gone about as well as you'd think for Larry Bird and the rest of his ET-filled family. It's posting sub-1.0s in the all-important 18-49 demo, creating a valley between Last Man Standing's 1.4s and Shark Tank's 2-pluses in recent weeks. No one likes a weak link, The Neighbors. And what's sad about all this is that even though The Neighbors was smeared against the wall by critics when it first premiered, it actually got kinda decent midway through its first season, and these days, it isn't nearly as terrible as some folks remember it. And yeah I'll say it: Reggie and Amber's relationship on the show is one of the best relationships of any network comedy. PROVE ME WRONG AND KEEP THIS ONE AROUND, ABC! Hey, it's better than Super Fun Night.

Beauty and the Beast

Sorry BatBers, your show is toast. The drama about a hunk with a scar on his face has been remarkably consistent in the ratings—consistently bad, that is. It hasn't cracked one million viewers all season, posting a 0.3 in every single episode. In fact, last week it got beat by the following competition during its 9pm time period: WWESingle Ladies 3, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Klondike, The Fosters, a rerun of The Big Bang Theory on cable, Vanderpump Rules, a Family Guy rerun, a Cleveland Show rerun, Brain GamesPawn StarsBad InkLizard Lick TowingRachael vs. Guyand South Park. Maybe more, but that was as far down as TVBytheNumbers' list went. But look at it this way: Beauty and the Beast cheated death last year when it should have been canceled, so Season 2 was like a bonus! A miracle born of boneheaded network programming decisions! A costly experiment that ruined The CW but benefited you! Congratulations... and enjoy the rest of this season, because once it's over, so is the series. 

The Carrie Diaries

See: Beauty and the Beast. The Sex and the City prequel has almost mirrored BatB in the ratings, but it gets a little more credit because it airs on Friday nights and everything is doing lousy on Friday. When Hart of Dixie looks down on you, that's really bad. To be fair, Carrie HAS risen to a 0.4 rating twice. But it also nailed a 0.2 one week, and this Friday's season finale will likely be the series finale, too. After all, the series lacks hunks in tights with superpowers or fangs, something that The CW seems very inclined to these days.

Intelligence

One of the most surprising disappointments of the current midseason is Intelligence, CBS's action drama with buckets of technology and "What if?" questions. After a HUGE launch on a Tuesday following NCIS (over 16 million viewers), the Josh Holloway series moved to Mondays, where its audience was massacred to the tune of a 10-million-viewer drop. 10 MILLION. This series is still very young (Episode 4 just aired last night), but so far it looks like a failure for CBS, and America's most-watched network doesn't have time for programs that post 1.1s in key demos. Away with you, Intelligence! And better luck next season with Mondays at 10pm, CBS.

What shows are YOU betting against this spring?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/16/2014

Season 1 : Episode 21

467 Comments
Comments (467)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i dont now what will happen to me if there is no BATB.its the best tv show ever.
Flag
why stop at these 5 there are many more that need's the old heave ho and most of the reality shows suck
Flag
Why the heck is TV.com linking to this story on their listings page *now*, with *no updates*, 9 months later?!
Flag
I'm wandering how they are still on...
Flag
Revolution was a good concept just bad casting and poor overall direction of the show. They tried to make it this Twilight teenage crap where everybody is a martial arts expert.
Flag
They need to bring Revolution back, that was a great show, one of the best.
Flag
Add Madam Secretary to the list. It is CBS's blatant attempt to make Hillary look good when she was not a good SoS. Too many screwups, but CBS has its lips firmly attached to ....
Flag
seems like americans like to watch hit shows or ultra crap reallities, everything in between gets axed, so sad
Flag
Hopefully The Vampire Diaries or better write the crying Nina Dobrev out of the script, let her die a horrifying dead, please.
Flag
I am really sorry about Revolution being cancelled. I really enjoyed the show, it just got better and better. Would it have had a better chance if it wasn't up against Survivor? We would record both of them so we could watch both, they were also both on On Demand. Anyway, it's a shame.
Flag
INTELLEGENCE SEASON 2! DO we know something??
Flag
Which shows are we betting against???? Geez, man, there are thousands of jobs at stake and you're acting way too cavalier about it. What if we wrote an article about which TV.com writer we wanted fired?
Flag
I think Raising Hope as run out of steam. I thought it was hysterically funny until this season and now I stopped bothering to watch. I'd also like to know how Two and a Half Men has managed to stay on the air so long after Charlie Sheen's departure. Maybe the viewers are really just rubberneckers who can't look away from an accident.
Flag
Revolution... It has a very interesting premise for a TV show... I like it but it started losing me after the AI started running Aarons life...and performing so called miracles. That sort of thinking is eerie to me... The AI want's to become our GOD with miracles and such..."Can I get a witness"...A Men brothers and sisters... Faith and belief in God is a personal thing...something that will doom the show if it continues on that path. Best thing to happen is for season three to be approved and a new way to beat the nanos is found...but it takes the season or seasons to achieve it... and all these things happen along the way... The path of where we are going needs to be known...someday...they will make it and get the power back on...:)
Flag
Hart of Dixie hit a slump this season because they brought this Joel character in & the viewers hated him! I've seriously never seen a character hated so much. Many people stopped watching, but now that he's gone I think the ratings will go back up. It's a great show off you give it a chance. I didn't like the first few episodes but then all of the sudden I came to love it & I will stand behind it because it can be an amazing show!
Flag
I love intelligence!!!! If they cancel this show I will be highly ticked !!!! They didn't even give it a chance! Plus they should not end a show with a cliffhanger, renew it so we can see what happens
Flag
How is it that Hart of Dixie is still airing, but some great shows are being cancelled??? That's ridiculous and actually irritates me!
Flag
I love REVOLUTION!!!

Flag
Revolution is finally a show that is diferent than all the others on TV today. I look forward to watching it every week. There are so many crappy shows on these days and they want to cancel this show! How many crime shows do we need! I'm still pissed about Terra Nova being cancelled. They need to take Revolution and put it in another time slot or another day; instead of putting it on against American Idol.
Flag
please don't cancel intelligence!!! I love the storyline a d the characters and I don't typically like procedurals because they are all the same. Josh Holloway really draws me in.
Flag
they has officially cancel this show.I feel the same as you. REally love this show. If I can help improve rating I would do that right a way but I'm thai so...please!!! change your mind CBS!!!
Flag
The Neighbors show is horrible. It is unfunny. It has the children saying very adult things. It is rampant with feminism and with each show they pour on the feminism, as if women identify with militant feminism as a group. Yes, 80% of tv audiences today are now women, but pouring on a feminist human mother, and advises the alien mother, a super-ultra-feminist older daughter, that advises the feminist younger sister, is over the top. To top it off, each episode is filled with mysandrism on the part of the human wife, towards her who, for whatever reason, never back hands her and serve her divorce papers on the spot. Maybe that's the humor for women?

My roommate and I thought it was sci fi. It turns out to be feminist propaganda. And there hasn't been anything sci fi in the show since the pilot.
Flag
Revolution needs to go. It's obviously a huge knock-off of the 'Hunger Games.' Come on, a Balkinization of what was the US/North America, and you have a family who loses their father/husband, little sibling who dies, and the girl, who interestingly has a strained relationship with her mother, and uses a crossbow/bow and arrow. Then you throw in Miles/Haymitch, both of whom are notable people in their states, Miles being the former second-in-command of the Monroe Republic and Haymitch being the lone District 12 victor before Katniss/Peeta. That, and also the storylines and the writing is terrible. Sometimes both Charlie/Katniss are pretty irrational people, but Charlie just cries when someone gently speaks logic into her plans, and at least Katniss is smart enough to understand why other peoples' logic works.
Flag
OMG... You must have just recently seen that movie because Revolution is so not comparable it was kind of painful to read your review but it got funnier near the end. It was like you took a show... counted actors... and then compared then with another show by sex. LOL. You are funny. Thanks for the laughs. I like The Hunger Games, too but they don't remind me of The Cosby Show. Hahahaha.
Flag
I just stopped caring about Revolution. Season 2 just gets more stupid every episode.
Flag
Please get Intelligence and The Beauty and the Beast renewed! :(
Flag
You should add Spun Out and The Kirstie Show to your list. Absolute garbage. Two and a Half Men has gotten pathetic as well.
Flag
It seems the modern thespian methodologies have emanated from the "New York Cabbie" Institute of Wisecracking One Liners. These writers/performers have apparently never heard the term Formulaic, nor would they understand how that phrase applies to these current shows. I watched the inaugural episode of "Believe", and you can 'believe' that it tags right along with the prevailing Hollywood vogue. Naturally, shows have target audiences. If one can't figure out which demographic is going to be inspired by the screenplay, a brief wait until the commercial break is suggested. Yep, female advertisements. So, being I'm the 'Enemy', it is obvious to me that this fare is not meant for male consumption, I will avoid viewing another installment.
Flag
Intelligence has been a huge disappointment. It needs to be put out of it'smisery.
Flag
I watch and LIKE all of the 5 remaining series listed in this article...so I hope his predictions are VERY wrong!
Flag
I love Revolution , please save it!!!!!111
Flag
Save BATB!!!!! And save Revolution... I'm trying to catch up on Rev.
Flag
No complaints from me
Flag
Do they really cancel Hart of dixie?? :(
Flag
no it returns this Friday... March 21
Flag
Not too excited about the lineup shown. I am excited about a new show by Penn & Teller premiering on Syfy on March 4th at 10 PM. Great concept ...

From vegaschatter.com

The one-hour show features teams of magicians competing to turn ordinary objects into original magic routines which are then performed before a live audience and a panel of judges featuring well-known Las Vegas performers Penn & Teller, among others
Flag
I would say that The Tomorrow People might get the axe, but I stopped watching around Ep. 5 or 6.
Flag
No they can't. I like The Tomorrow People. I don't care that it's a weird little show. I'm smitten.
Flag
Then I hope it stays so that you can enjoy it.
I don't need it to get cancelled just because I don't like it .
Flag
Hope they don't listen to you, I do enjoy Beauty and The Beast it has gotten better, the first season was slow but so was Teen Wolf the first season wasn't that great and its turned into a great show, Catherine needs to get over herself. So don't cancel Beauty and The Beast.
Flag
Please don't drag Teen Wolf down by comparing it to Beauty and the Beast. Plus the first Season of Teen Wolf was actually my favourite (although 3B is giving it a good run).
Flag
Oh - and when they kill BATB they should resurrect the Secret Circle. Clippity Clop people - Clippity Clop!
Flag
Sorry still like Beauty and the Beast. Love Teen Wolf but no season 1 didn't sell it for me, and if you don't like Beauty and The Beast then don't watch it but I do agree they should bring back Secret Circle.
Flag
Intelligence is a terrible show. Wooden and expressionless acting, cliche storylines we've seen in better films and tv shows, and terrible attempts at "witty" dialogue. And now CBS is throwing them under the Olympics bus.
Flag
I REALLY need Intelligence not to be canceled. I was so excited to get into this show. It's sort of like Chuck crossed-over with Fringe.
Flag
I'm sad that The Carrie Diaries is likely gone. It's a charming show, AnnaSophia Robb has Carrie's tone nailed, and Lindsey Gort as Samantha is a great season 2 addition. But they wrote out Larissa (Freema Aygeman) which would be a blow to season 3 were it to exist. The season 2 finale wrapped up loose ends; there is room for another season but it also won't feel totally unsatisfying if it ends here.

Interview Magazine is presumably out as well; I wonder how much The CW was getting for the product placement? On any other network the question would have been how much the show is paying for the right to use the magazine, but The CW turns that conventional wisdom on its head and the money was almost certainly flowing the other way. That would have helped them make up for the lack of contemporary music payola (the downside of a series set in the 80s) and product placements of Microsoft Surface (which would be a screaming anachronism). Interview had recognizable beige toasters (original Macs) but those are so far removed from Apple's current product line that it's unlikely that any placement money was involved.

The 13 episode seasons worked well. They felt like the right length for TCD; they had enough time for a story arc without the show overstaying its welcome. And they ran nearly straight through, so the show got to keep whatever modest viewing momentum it built. It's a long shot, but maybe The CW can be convinced to bring it back for another 13 next fall - or maybe summer? All the networks should think about schedules other than the traditional 22 or so episodes with long rerun breaks; reruns do poorly in the DVR era.
More+
Flag
Beauty and the Beast is not awful or stupid it is a great show. And even know that it's not like the old version it's still got a new look to it. And besides this show has a lot of devoted fans that watch it and love it and it's cast so dearly. So please give BATB another chance survive.
Flag
Don't cancel intelligent I.
Flag
Can't wait for the neighbors to go. Very stupid
Flag
Intelligence is the only one, which, I hope survives the season and doesn't get axed.. The rest.. in a nutshell "meh".
Flag
they're filming Beauty and the Beast on my street... so i'll let them know.
Flag
I really enjoy Revolution....i just believe they need to pick up the Pacing.....

Another show which I think may be cancelled is Dracula, i think it has good concept and Jonathan Rhys Meyers is a fantastic, i really like the show and believe it has a good following...hope it gets renewed

I read some comments on here....that almost human should be cancelled...i disagree with this also....Karl urban and his costar have great on scream chemisty and again i believe pacing of the show is wrong....they are taking to long to get the main plot going.

Oh well...Person of Interest/Suits. are going to be around for a long while so im happy!!

Flag
I truly hope you're wrong about intelligence. Even though I agree it's not the best show, I thoroughly enjoy it. Mostly because of Meghan Ory, I think she rocks:)
Flag
I gave Revolution a second chance, come on NBC, give it one too please.

Flag
since a 3rd season renewal is a de facto 4th season renewal, it's highly unlikely NBC will commit to 2 more years of this mess. They gave it a second chance already by giving it a second season. Networks aren't charities
Flag
Carrie Diaries and Beauty and the Beast are awful shows. They should have been cancelled after their first season. But CW is pretty shady in choosing which to renew since I really thought before Ringer and The Secret Circle will make it but I was wrong.
Flag
I totally agree secret circle should have never been canceled and ringer was actually good too.
Flag
I agree with you about The Secret Circle but don't agree with you about Ringer. It got to the point where I wanted to stake the TV. (Honurable nod to Buffy right there).
Flag
I agree with you about the secret circle but don't agree with you about Beauty and the Beast.
Flag
Super Fun Night......must go!i dont know y abc let it run up to episode 14 it waz clear the show waz a disapointment after only 2 episode....
Flag
Yes, I am surprised that stinker is still on air too.
Flag
I think Once Upon a Time is on the cusp. They're introducing WAY too many characters and there's no time for character development. Lana Parrilla is the only person saving that show.
Flag
I NEED OUaT to stay. It's almost the only show I can watch with my husband and daughters where all 4 of us enjoy it.
Flag
nope. OUaT is doing better than the average for ABC prime time shows. It's not in any danager of going anywhere. Remember, renew/cancel has NOTHING to do with your perception of it's quality, it has ONLY to do with ratings in the 18-45 demographic in comparison to other shows on the same network.
Flag
not intelligence, thank you very much
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members