NBC (ended 2014)

You know what's embarrassing? Having your show replaced by a bunch of celebrities playing games. That's what happened to The Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves the World today, as Vulture reports that NBC will be pulling both comedies from the schedule to make room for new episodes of Hollywood Game Night once the Winter Olympics has dimmed its torch in late February. 

We already knew that Sean Saves the World was a goner because NBC halted production of that series last week, but The Michael J. Fox Show was still very much alive and kicking, even if its ratings report and my early cancellation predictions said otherwise. NBC committed to a full 22 episodes of The Michael J. Fox Show when it first ordered the series, and 15 of those have aired so far. Whether or not the remaining seven will ever find a place on the schedule will be a surprise we can all look forward to!

Both comedies have been a disaster for NBC, which retooled its once-powerful Thursday-night lineup to showcase the once-powerful Michael J. Fox and Sean Hayes. Hollywood Game Night—which is produced by Sean Hayes so at least he's got that going for him—is a reality show where celebrities play games with each other in a mock living room. 

Okay, now who's going to cast Betsy Brandt?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/16/2014

Season 1 : Episode 21

66 Comments
Comments (66)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
According to Wiki (and we all know how reliable that is) the show is not cancelled but rather being held off until April. Tim Surette, do you know if this is true or not? And does that mean its not cancelled at all? or just means they are finishing the 22 and then ending it? If you see this post, please reply. Thanks!
Flag
This is good for Community, right? #sixseasonsandamovie
Flag
This was the new comedy show I was looking forward to this season. And I didn't watch any of it at all. Sorry, MJF :c
Flag
Sorry, MJF... I was totally happy to have you back, but it was your kids, Marty! Something had to be done about your kids. I just couldn't really stand any of them, so I tuned out after the second or third episode. Please do try again, MJF. I'll keep giving you chances as long there are new projects you decide to star in.
Flag
This sucks. I liked the show. Get Betsy on American Horror Story STAT
Flag
Hollywood games night is a fun show to watch. Jane Lynch is a good host and if you dig certain celebrities, it is great to watch them play games. The games are quite well done I must add. I been watching since episode 1 and always play along while watching.

I stopped watching MJ Fox show since episode 4 and I loved MJ Fox. I am okay though. I hope he goes back to The Good Wife and perhaps they can even make him a regular cast.

Never watch sean save what world...
Flag
Nooo! I was so happy to have Michael J. Fox back! =(
Flag
Chances are there's a few episodes of Fox's show that have been filmed but have yet to air. It's possible the network will use the remaining episodes for summer filler. If they started airing them late July, seven episodes would work out just right.

I don't feel bad for Fox. The show effectively did what it set out to do and made producers aware that he was and is able to work, so I expect he'll show up in supporting roles on another sitcom.

Flag
Dang, would hate to be MJF right now. Such an intelligent actor, such a dumb show.
Flag
NCIS: New Orleans, get on Betsy Brandt, like red beans on rice!
Flag
I feel bad for MJF since I really liked the idea of him back on TV, and I hoped the show would be good, but it wasn't.
Flag
So that commercial they used to promote Thursday nights where the four leads of comedies were at a disastrous dinner party with Mike, Sean, Michael, and Amy, only Amy survives. As it should be ;)
Flag
I predict that they will either chuck it all together to boost DVD sales through including those seven episodes or will dump them in Saturday night blocks.
Flag
I'm pretty surprised, the show was average but I thought they'd give it every chance.
Flag
MJF shouldn't be too worried, I'm sure Louis Canning will be reprised on the Good Wife.
Flag
I hope so, I love Louis Canning!!!!!
Flag
I love Hollywood game Night. I record How I met Your Mother and watch Game night live. (it makes more sense time wise Game night is a full 45 minutes compared to HIMYM being 23 to watch after). And I am a HIMYM fanatic. but Game night is fresh and pretty clever. I never watched the MJF show or Sean saves the world. Neither looked any good. But if someone asked if Game Night deserved a better time slot, I would absolutely agree. Thursday is simply not that time slot. too much on. Big Bang, Parks and Rec, Elementary and the Taste. Wish it was on Wednesdays, preferably at 10. or stayed on as a Sunday night 8 and 9 pm.
Flag
I loved Hollywood Game Night too ! The games are fresh and clever as you have mentioned ! Totally agree !
Flag
MJF Show was bad so who cares? NBC needs to renewed Community now (and Hannibal.. and Revolution! :D)
Flag
about time. I like Hollywood Game Night for the most part, mostly depends on the guests, so I don't mind them doing that... they already had 2 episodes a night on Mondays so I guess they needed somewhere to stick it now that The (stupid) Voice is coming back.
Flag
No surprise that his show was going to get canceled. The format left me thinking the show was a one (season) and done at most.

I personally think MJF should have stayed on The Good Wife and worked with the producers to expand his role. It was a good role, an interesting character, and a plot line with good potential.
When they announced the MJF Show I actually was surprised because I assumed he was going to be a major force in The Good Wife's plot development.
Flag
Well, the good news is that now he can go back :-)
Flag
I don't watch it but with these ratings it's no surprise.
Flag
Shame, enjoyed the show, wasn't the funniest show ever but far from the worst.
Flag

Does anyone really care about celebs playing games in a living room, trying to stay relevant and in the eye of the public? I want to see them toss their car keys and swap, now , possibly, there's a show!!!
Flag
MJF was a good show but Sean totally sucked!
Flag
Hollywood Game Night isn't that bad. At least, the one I saw had Kristen Bell and Alyson Hannigan in the same room, so you couldn't go wrong. Plus, Jane Lynch is in every episode and she always kicks ass.

Anyway, we'll start this whole thing over again next season with Cosby. They gotta keep trying -- at least ONE of these old guys has to have some gas left in the tank!
Flag
Maybe Community can add Betsy Brand to their list of Breaking Bad alumni guests.
Flag
Heyyy NBC, so how's this new "broad" comedy thing going for ya? Not so great? HMM, WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED??

The sad thing is they're probably surprised.
Flag
Although I liked the Michael J Fox show, I can't help but be happy over the fact that Community's renewal chance just rose. :D
Flag
sorry to those who enjoyed the shows, I know losing shows sucks. I personally never had an interest in giving either a shot. I do however thoroughly enjoy Hollywood Game Night.
Flag
I honestly thought this one could make it. although, I thought the same about Go On. I really liked this show, and Go On.. NBC gives new opportunities for "power" actors and then they just cancel them. at least their dramas are good. see Grimm, Hannibal and Elementary to name a few. but not all of your good shows can be dramas NBC!
Flag
NBC made such a big mistake in canceling Go On. And there I go beating that dead horse again.
Flag
Elementary is CBS fairly certain. I really thought Go On would and should last.
Flag
oops, you're right about Elementary.
Flag
And to think they cancelled Go On for this...
Flag
Still way better than The Big Bang Theory
Flag
I love MJF and I really tried to watch it. Really. It was just awful. I got up to the episode where he was flirting with the neighbor and then mad that she liked someone else and the wife was all "oh hahaha." What a bunch of jerks.
Flag
I'm surprised it made it this far. lol
Flag
What took so long......,
Flag
Two down, five to go.
Flag
My thoughts exactly!
Flag
Poor Michael J. Fox. Making his "triumphant" return to television, and it's for this time-waster of a show. What a waste of his talents. I just hope he can find a home on something better.
Flag
Please let NBC be so desperate at this point that they need to renew Parenthood for another season. -fingers crossed-
Flag
Hoping for the same thing with Community.
Flag
I bet they will.
Flag
:-|
that's my surprised face on seeing this news, which is to say "uh doy, yup".

The sad thing is NBC is so stupid they think Hollywood Game Night can just last forever, pulling another Deal or No Deal type thing out their butts. But for now, I guarantee you I'd occasionally click on it over either sitcom that is being replaced here, it's far more watchable.
Flag
I don't get the correlation between Hollywood Game Night and deal or no deal. HGN has 6 familiar faces / celebrities per episode not including jane lynch while I have no idea what deal or no deal is; something howie mandel hosted?
Flag
They are both game shows that were popular for NBC yet NBC felt they could carry a lot of their schedule with Deal or No Deal instead of scripted programming and quickly burned audiences out on it, which it seems they're planning to do again with HGN.
Flag
yeah I can see putting a game show in that time slot being a gamble from that point of view.
Flag
I'd rather watch Hollywood Game Night. I hope they can come up with some good comedies.
Flag
I usually enjoy Hollywood Game Night quite a bit (depends on the guests), while Sean Hayes and MJFox kinda stunk, sooooo YAY!
Flag
Damn. This cancellation doesn't really affect me, since I've never watched the show, but I was hoping that this and Sean Saves the World would mean a better chance for Community to get renewed... :(
Flag
It does, actually. NBC can't just cut bait on their audience, they have to retain something to hang their hats on next season, so the field is down by half.
Flag
You're right. Until just looking it up now, I actually didn't know that Hollywood Game Night actually existed already, not to mention its seasons are short, so they could easily have both on their schedule.

I don't know why my initial reaction was that they were using HGN as a permanent replacement for these comedies though. I'll just chalk it up to being tired...

Anyway, woo-hoo! More chance for a Community renewal! :D :P
Flag
To be honest I enjoy Hollywood Game Night more.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members