The Middle

ABC (ended 2018)

TesserT

The Middle Fan Reviews (100)

• A good end to the Middle

I loved the way it ended before the show got stale and too predictable. Brick looked great with beard !

The chemistry between them all was very believable, although over the top a bit. Thank you for many pleasant hours watching.
  • At least use correct grammar on the show

I cannot believe the egregious grammatical error you allowed to slip through the cracks. No wonder our kids can't speak English. At the end of the show, Frankie says, that they have LESS It's FEWER kids. There are strict rules for when you use LESS and FEWER. Check them out. Really bad editing.
  • What Have They Done To The Show??! Suddenly, targeting teens?

What did they do to The Midde??! --A perfect example of how a show de-volves. They should hav quit while they were way ahead... say, at Season 6. After that, the show's become pop, overdone, humorless, labored, ordinary... pretty dull, actually. Especially Season 9!

Take Season 9, Episode 1....

A near bust. Aimless. Over-acted. Extended yawn-dialogue. Helter-skelter scenes. Lots of yelling. Heaton looked tired, 5 years older with, what appeared to be, overdone make-up --a touch of botox maybe?? Definitely Clairol or something on the hair. Overly-loud and mouthy Sue hula-hooping in the kitchen? Brick way out of his usual ways with all his demanding and screaming.

--Seems like the writers tried too hard this time. --What??! Axel arrived top to bottom in the buff (!) in the kitchen... with his privates soft-focused out?!? Come on ABC folks! If very early episodes were 8/10, 9/10... this episode you served up was a definite 3. Disappointing!

More recently (last episode), we learned... in between the cookie-cutter, boy-meets-girl dialogue on Sue's never-ending romantic schemes, that Brad is, in fact, gay... as he delights in the possibilities of meeting the drummer. Click! Tune out! (For the first time in 8 years, a turn-the-show-off moment --after just 11 minutes! Enough on the social/pop culture already!!) The mystery of whether or not he is or is not gay helped the show's general humor for years. Now that they've thrown it at us, comedy's gone. Some kind of 'statement' is in. Now, such worn-out, serious themes! No thanks.

The writers hav run out of comedy steam... not to mention funny ideas! The Middle, now, is less-than-magnetic, common tv fare (tho some may, no doubt, still like it)... definitely not deserving of the money/time/effort they spent on the more recent offerings... (especially like Season 9 --mercifully, the last --Early episodes: 8s, 9s. More currently: 3s, 4s. All in all, a 6.
  • The Middle - not a great title but a great show

I'm sad to hear this is The Middle's final season. I loved the show the first time I saw it and continue to love it, even watching reruns almost every night. The cast is great and I especially love the fact it's not about well-off, loving, hovering parents raising great, smart perfect children. This show is real. Yeah, a bit on the tongue in cheek real, but refreshing and funny. Guess what? No such thing as perfect parents and perfect kids. Deserves an Emmy - sick of all the cable shows getting all the awards. Well done, The Middle, well done.
  • sue heck

She makes the middle @truecritoc
  • Annoyed

Sue is absolutely pathetic. I can't stand her character. They need to kill her off. Love the show otherwise.
  • nice show

like it
  • One of the most underrated shows in terms of writing and acting on television...

I'm a fan of Patricia Heaton's last series Everybody Loves Raymond, but I love her even more here. She, as well as the whole cast is pure perfection, with terrific comic timing. If the Emmys would stop just hovering over HBO and Netflix every year, they just might manage to make some room for this show. It deserves acknowledgement at least in terms of writing. It is funny and at times especially heartwarming, in a non-derisive way. It's still going strong, and deserves to. In my opinion, it's ABC's best show currently on the air.
  • Living Hoosier

They have captured the Hoosier environment. I see things in each episode that strike me as having been there done that. It is odd to hear about the cities and locations they refer to in the script. Rarely outside of Indiana Jones does any other production mention the surroundings in Indiana to such an extent. Maybe it's because I'm a Hoosier or maybe it's just fact that I have been to the locations they speak of such as Brown County, Terre Haute, Indianapolis, and so forth. Mike working in the stone quarry is epic as far as employment for this part of the state. Frankie being a frazzled mom is target on. The kids and their antics at home and school strikes gold no matter what part of the country you live in. I stumbled upon this program on the Hallmark channel. It was good to see it is still airing on ABC. This is the only network program I watch. I am fed up with the liberal slant from the major networks. One suggestion is this: tone down the term "Oh my God". Outside of that it's a show I hope is long running because it does hit home with middle America's values.
  • The Middle is one of my favorite TV shows!

I LITERALLY laugh out loud while watching each new episode... I can relate with this family - their predicaments, their relationships within the family & with their community, and how it seems that in life they never seem to catch a break! The episode Bitter Pill to Swallow reminded me of my sister at that age having the same difficulty taking medication in pill form just like Brick! And you want to know what else I like about The Middle? NO ANNOYING LAUGH TRACK! I read the comments about how the show has a lot of mistakes/bloopers - I never really noticed because I was laughing so much and I wouldn't mind even if I did spot one - IMO I think the viewers ought to cut them a break - they're only human just like us and no one is perfect/everybody makes mistakes now and again! I will keep on watching this show as long as they keep bringing back new episodes/seasons. ;-)
  • Bad Show

It is not funny at all! They make the situation feel awkward.
  • Love it!

This by far is one of my favorite shows. I can watch them over and over. I used to love watching sue but lately brick has become my fav with all his funny scenes and the look on that face! Priceless! One thing I would like to see is Sue's love interest to be Derek Glossener transformed into a normal guy. I'm surprised they never had them dating or him being a romantic interest since he did tell her he would return for her one after the few arkward kisses. Maybe he will! We love you Eden Sher! You rock girl!!
  • Like it but 1 character doesn't fit!

4.5
    Yep, Frankie. Watch the 1st episode; the one where she gets her new driver's license in the mail. She looks like she SHOULD look for the character of a busy, frazzled mom (and personally, as a guy, I think she looks better there than with all makeup). But somewhere along the line she got glammed and is glammed in every scene, whether just waking up or having a hangover--fake eyelashes, really?. Ugh. Keep her looking real! Bottom line, she looks ridiculous and her character stinks. When isn't she unhappy? Can't stand the constant whining and rotten role modeling. She isn't a character you root for. Doesn't want her kids lying, stealing and cheating, but she does it all the time. Ruins the "comedy" for me. Love the other characters--they seem real and imperfect and they pull it off well. I gave only 4.5 stars because Heaton's character brings the entire show down.
  • Standing up for God

This is a great show, except for one thing. They use the Lord's name in vain so many times during each episode it is hard to count. What is this teaching everyone? I started counting the times they say "Oh My God" and sometimes it's as many as 7 during the show? Saying "Oh My Gosh" is funny, but using the Lord's name in vain is not. Please ABC could you clean up the words. We need to hold God's name sacred. I am rating this a 2.0 because of the cuss words and careless use of God's name, otherwise I would rate it a 10.0 Thanks
  • Sues new love interest!!!!

Love this show, its always so funny. I'd like to see Sue have a crush on that new handsome guy in her class from the latest episode. Would love to see more of him on the show ;) It would be so funny to see her torn between her boyfriend & a new love interest :)
  • great show

The middle is one of our favorite show the new actor who quoted Ghandi bring a fresh prospective to the show. We would like to see more of his energy in the middle.
  • I enjoyed...

I enjoyed this episode, both main characters and supporting characters were great.

I liked the first student who read his report
  • It's great! looooove

I find it absolutely ridiculous that this show doesn't get emmy nods. It's just plain weird. And can you imagine Malim Bianik of big bang got nominated in her supporting actress role and the actress playing Sue Heck hasn't ever been nominated!!! 'Gag' She ought to have been getting nominations every single year. I will start a petition online next year for just this purpose. Yes I'm that vexed. She's a great actress and should get her due recognition.
  • one of our famiy favorites

this is without a doubt one of our familys most cherished shows honestly the more and more time we spend with the hecks the more they remind me of my own family they all have those qualitys some u love some u absolutley hate about them its sweet funny and fits right in with our family i kindof have a thing for sue the daughter shes just so sweet and loveable u gotta love her i recomend that your family trys this family
  • We need LESS of Brick, and MORE of Brad!

This was always one of my favorite shows, particularly for the excellent kid actors who all deserved Emmys (and the oldest two still do). But little, sweet, quirky Brick, who looked like a little elf with his high voice and earnest face, is no longer cute. He used to be my favorite character when he was little. Now, he's just a rude, patronizing, and terminally annoyed adolescent, irritated that he's surrounded with such incompetents. We expected this behavior from Axl, as he was suffering from a terminal case of teenage coolness, so it was funny and it worked. But Brick, who in real life has OI, was presented to the audience in such a way as to make us believe he's on the Autism Spectrum, probably Asperger's. I taught middle school special ed, and I can tell you that the writers hit the nail on the head: Adolescent male Aspies are NOT cute anymore, and they frequently come across as deliberately patronizing know-it-alls. (See "Big Bang Theory") The result for the viewer is NOT entertaining, as people in real life don't want to be around these narcissistic, overly-critical Aspie's, so it's not fun to watch them on TV, either. I agree with reviewer Cindy below who suggested they ship Brick off to military school; it would do his character some good. The best character on the show is Gay Brad (Brock Ciarlelli), as I will never get tired of watching him. Send Brick away, and let Brad move into his bedroom. Then let Mike have to deal with his discomfort around Brad.
  • A very outstanding show

I swear, "The Middle" is so funny. I love the show, but sometimes the characters are so annoying. Secondary, major & minor in particular. I love the main characters, they're really funny and cool. I really hope this show can end with Brick graduating high school. Now that would be perfect for the series. I always knew ABC and WB has the best shows. Honestly, one of the greatest family shows in television history.
  • Middle serial in India

Middle season 7 is not broadcasted in love that anyone tell when this season be watch-able in India?
  • Dysfunctional but close family

I stay up late at night to catch it! I look forward to a solid hour of The Middle before sleeping. Funny and it shows the family is solid dispite its dysfunction. Characters are on target with the exception that most daughters are not quite as sensitive and uncoordinated as Sue Heck but Eden Sher does a fantastic job. I really appreciate the humor in this family comedy.
  • Meaning middle class

Why is this show overlooked by the Emmys for the unfunny and overrated Modern Family? Maybe because this show hits too close to home. The elite don't want to admit the existence of poor people in this country but this show proves with humor and sweetness that they do and are surviving just well, thank you. A true American classic.
  • Top Shows - Dysfunctional families: reality, reminds me of Malcolm

Pretty consistent, messed up, hilarious at times, and how life is like in poverty. Favorite Character: Sue. I saw her in person too :D Early on in season 5, decided its better than Malcolm in the Middle and I love that show too, more early on though.

Up until early season 5, 015 ep (09-14, July-August 2015) ABC, ABC dot com
  • brick sucks

Its ok has its funny moments the only character I can't stand is that weird kid brick that stupid thing he does when he looks down and talks to him self and the way he talks and looks they coulda found a better actor to portray the character.
  • Love it

I have binge watched this show and i love it! Just one thing keep Frankie likable, Do not overdue it with the screaming, nagging etc. I wille definitely tune in next season! let go to collage Sue Heck! Make it an other year of Sue!
  • Funny show but...

I find the Middle funny but i cant take the Mom and her bad attitude ,screaming and nagging she is such a b---h, but still lets the kids walk all over and disrespect her. She created the monsters. I cant stand Brick. He is not funny or cute in anyway. If I had a child like him he would be in a special school. far away from home. Id like to smack him with a book. I want to break his finger off when he sticks it up for his parents to wait for him to finish reading something. He is to way over the top. Poor Sue gets nothing from her parents. I love Eden Shers portrayal of the picked on sister. I hope they start dressing her better for college. Not like a old lady crossed with a first grader like they do now. Charlie McDermott and Neil Flynn are hilarious. Send Brick to Military school, since the show is so much like Malcom in the Middle. I would not miss that character at all. I just wish they would turn Frankie into a less annoying character
  • Best Show On ABC

The Middle is a really great show. I enjoy watching it on Wednesdays. It is funny, and it's not really one of those shows that are a very bad influence. It is pretty funny, and just overall good!
  • The Middle is at the Top!

Great family comedy! Always meaningful with a plethora of important messages, hilarious and heartwarming. I just finished watching the 2015 finale and was brought to tears by Sue's classmates' AMAZING graduation tributes after having a good laugh over Axl's living room "clubbing" antics. Fabulous writing and acting by ALL, but I really have to give special kudos to Patricia Heaton and since I am older than her, I can ask this question,"where DOES she get the energy?" She really is a comedic genius. So glad you will all be back in the fall!