The Middleman Forums

ABC Family (ended 2008)

Middleman in trouble, Start fighting for the show now!

N1CN4C

[1]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 12

Roush on Middleman

Question: There has been some buzz around the Internet forums that ABC Family has stopped production of The Middleman. The rumor says that only 12 of the 13 episodes will be produced. I find this a shame as the show is a summer gem. It's hip and funny, like Eureka, Men in Black and The Tick, with a touch of Kevin Smith. Can you confirm the cancellation? — Josh

Matt Roush: ABC Family confirms that the first season has been trimmed from 13 to 12 episodes, with the explanation that they "want to put all our creative forces into making a great season finale." No decision on a renewal will be made until after the season wraps on Labor Day, but I would think the odds are only so-so, since the show apparently didn't catch fire in the ratings the way Kyle XY did in previous summers and the new Tuesday drama Secret Life of the American Teenager (already renewed) did this year.

Sourced from Ask Matt on tvguide...

http://www.tvguide.com/ask-matt/middleman/080804-05

This show is a breath of cheesy fresh air, we need to fight for it now!!

Edited on 08/04/2008 4:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ali_tv_fan

[2]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 13
    Noooooo!!!!! I love Middleman. Can anyone confirm a second season yet???

kanniballl

[3]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 18

It really is a great show. I fell in love with it during the Pilot, but I had a bad feeling it would get dropped after a season. It's kind of an acquired taste, and some people would take one look at the cheesiness and think it was by accident (due to it being a lame show) as opposed to being on purpose.

Personally I think they put it on the wrong network and I doubt it's one of those shows that can/will be picked up by another network like Roswell was.

For some reason I don't see ABC Family getting the same number of viewers as some of the other basic cable networks.MiddleMan is definitely a Cable show, as a Broadcast Network wouldn't even pick it up or would drop it quickly, but I'm hard-pressed to think of where else it could go.

• USA might work, but it doesn't really fit into their current shows. It's a little on the wacky side to be placed along-size Monk and Psych, let alone their dramas.
    • SciFi used to like the whole "tv show that laughs at itself" like "The Chronicle" or "The Invisible Man" but lately they've strayed from that type of show.
      • Though it's not a major leap between MiddleMan and Eureka. Both have comedic elements and laugh at the cliche SciFi situations they run into, but MiddleMan is a little further down the comedic spectrum than Eureka.
    • Comedy central is usually good about giving a show a bunch of seasons to play itself out. But I don't know if it's comedy-focused enough for Comedy central.
      • It's definitely a funny show, but Comedy Central appears to like shows that are 100% comedy while MiddleMan devotes some of its time to teenage-angst and brief moments of action.
    • FX is too edgy.
    • TNT is too drama-oriented.
    • TBS is a possibility, though I don't watch that station enough to say one way or the other.
    • The rest might be too obscure to get good enough ratings to give it a shot.

Edited on 08/04/2008 11:31am
    Edited 4 total times.

shocker713

[4]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 21
    When all else fails, take the Jericho approach...

LET THE MILK-MAILING BEGIN!

N1CN4C

[5]Aug 4, 2008
    milk powder... let them think its anthrax?

princessalaine

[6]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 3

Nope, M&M's, in honor of MM himself. Plus, if you turn the M upside down, you get WW, for Dub-Dub. The plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity, right?

Straight from the Javi's mouth: http://themiddleblog.livejournal.com/34701.html (An address can be found in the comments as well.)

ektomage

[7]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    Wow, that IS sheer elegance in its simplicity. lol

ali_tv_fan

[8]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 13
    Fantastic idea. Hope it works

haldrey

[9]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 22
    Count me in. When do we start.

grailwolf

[10]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 55

To start with, just drop by ABCfamily.com and use their "feedback" link to tell them how much you love the show. Emails directly to executives and advertisers couldn't hurt either. Let them know you love the show and that more and more of your friends are finding the series all the time (BTW, go out and make sure this is true... spread the word!) and add any personal touches you think would be appropriate.

Just remember to be polite. Nice, even. Compliment them for choosing to run such a great series. Just don't go telling them how stupid it would be to cancel the show or anything like that. We want them to count these letters and they won't do that if they throw them in the garbage.

It might not be a bad idea to sign up on their site too, and select The Middleman as your "fave" (or one of your faves). And watch the videos, read the blogs, comment on the stories, etc. If they see a lot of activity on that part of the site, it can only help.

Personally, I'm going to try to order some merchandise too. It's a little pricey, though, so I can't recommend that to everyone. But I really want a license plate frame that says "Fighting evil so you don't have to."

shocker713

[11]Aug 5, 2008
    N1CN4C wrote:
    milk powder... let them think its anthrax?

Hell no...I mean real milk.

Make sure it's whole milk...it'll last longer.

topoopon

[12]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 19

Some guy was suggesting m&m's on his blog. By the way, I wrote to Matt (I am Josh).

----

Edit: Never mind, to tired to see post #6.

Edited on 08/06/2008 12:56am

UltimatePyro9

[13]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 36
    Oh, boy. I hope this show doesn't get cancelled. The Middleman is a goot show.

PutU2REM

[14]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 10

Don't bother fighting for it. I like it a lot, therefore its cancellation is inevitable.

Today is one of those many days where I think watching So You Think You Can Dance should be a flogging offense.

chaosrainz

[15]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 17
    PutU2REM wrote:

Don't bother fighting for it. I like it a lot, therefore its cancellation is inevitable.

Today is one of those many days where I think watching So You Think You Can Dance should be a flogging offense.

I agree.
    It was doomed from the first minute I laughed.

And to whoever mentioned SciFi picking it up, the very shows you mentioned were good and CANCELLED by the suck fi channel. (My nickname for them since they cancel everything I like)
    Even if they did pick this up, they'd give it all of maybe 5 eps or so before ditching it and we'd be right back here but a little more bitter because for a few shining moments we had hope before it was so callously thrown back in our faces.

I just hope we get a decent finale and a good DVD set out of this.

icemojo

[16]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    Oh, here we go again. What is it with US TV companies. Either back the show or don't bother in the first place. Is there no concept at all of a show catching on?

Just about every damn show I like runs in to problems.

Lets just hope that if it does die, they get to do a worth while last episode of some sort.

kanniballl

[17]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 18

chaosrainz wrote:
    ...And to whoever mentioned SciFi picking it up, the very shows you mentioned were good and CANCELLED by the suck fi channel. (My nickname for them since they cancel everything I like)

I know, but with their adoption of Eureka it seems like they might be more willing to give shows like that a chance. When they cancelled The Chronicle the rumor going around was that a new exec didn't like comedic nature of the show and didn't think it should have a place in SciFi. A similar one went around about The Invisible Man though it didn't go around as fast as the Chronicle one.

Now Eureka is one of their top shows and it's basis in comedy is almost along the lines of Chronicle/iMan.

A for the rest, Farscape had a decent run (though it got the shaft during the finale) and SG-1 had an unprecedented run.

Neogamer8

[18]Aug 14, 2008

Power to those that will try and fight. "The Middleman" can use all the help it can get.

shocker713

[19]Aug 25, 2008
    I actually think the ratings would be better had it been left at the 8:00 timeslot, but that's just me. I usually watch other things during the 10:00 hour, then watch the midnight replay.

--RPozo--

[20]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 23
    Come on! The Middleman is one of the best series I've watched in the last few years... Let's do anything we can to at least have a second season...