There are several references to the movie Ghostbusters (1984):
* Reitman University is named after Ivan Reitman, director of Ghostbusters.
* 55 Ray Parker Jr. Ave refers to the singer who performed the Ghostbusters theme.
* The Middleman introduces himself and Wendy as Dr. Stantz and Dr. Zeddemore, referencing Dr. Raymond Stantz (Dan Ackroyd) and Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson).
* Louis refers to Louis Tully (Rick Moranis).
* The radio code names Gatekeeper and Keymaster refer to the two possessing spirits that take over Louis and Dana Barrett (Sigourney Weaver).
* The sorority photo identifies two of the ghosts as Dana Barrett and Janine Melnitz: Janine Melnitz is the Ghostbusters' secretary (Annie Potts).
* The Egon Spengler Memorial Award refers to Egon Spengler (Harold Ramis), another of the Ghostbusters.
* "Positron Collider" is a term used by Peter Venkman to describe the Proton Pack, the main device used by the Ghostbusters.
* "Total photonic reversal" is a term the Ghostbusters toss around.
* "I don't know if she had legs but she definitely had arms" is a line spoken by Louis in the movie.
* PKE meters, neutrona wands and Gozarian lenses are pieces of equipment the Ghostbusters use.