A The Millers Community
Thursday 8:30 PM on CBS

One day in the relatively near future—probably sometime in the middle of December, when most shows are on their winter hiatus and you have nothing to do—you'll look back on this busy time and fondly recall how much TV you had at your disposal. But right now it's completely understandable if you're exhausted from the DVR Olympics and worn out by all the new shows the networks are throwing at you. That's why I'm here to help you decide whether or not you need to even bother with another new one: The Millers. Is it worth erasing those saved-up episodes of House Hunters International? Read on to find out.

The Millers? Who are these folks and why should I care about them?

The Millers centers on Nathan, a recently divorced man whose decision to leave his wife of three years has empowered his father to leave his mother after 43 years of marriage. That's unfortunate, sure, but worse things have happened in the world. That's why there's a "twist": Nathan's newly single dad decides to move in with Nathan's sister Debbie and her family, while his mom takes up residence in the guest room of Nathan's bachelor pad. Naturally, because this is a sitcom, wackiness ensues.

Okay, so you've told me who the Millers are, but who *are* the Millers?

Will Arnett stars as Nathan, a roving local newsman. Jayma Mays is his sister Debbie, and Beau Bridges and Margo Martindale play their parents, Tom and Carol. Rounding out the cast are Nelson Franklin as Debbie's husband Adam, Eve Moon as their daughter Mikayla, and J.B. Smoove as Ray, Nathan's co-worker and BFF. The Millers was created by Greg Garcia, whose past TV credits include creating and executive-producing Yes, Dear, My Name Is Earl, and Raising Hope.

So when can I catch this attempt at yet another parents-and-their-adult-children family sitcom?

The Millers is hoping to retain some of The Big Bang Theory's massive audience when it premieres on Thursday, October 3 at 8:30pm on CBS. It's facing competition from Scandal on ABC, The Vampire Diaries on The CW, Welcome to the Family on NBC and The X Factor on Fox. Oh, and if you're in the L.A. market, it's also up against Korean Prime Time Local News on channel 18.

How can I tell if I'll like it?

Well that's the million-dollar question isn't it? There's really nothing new going on with The Millers that you haven't seen before, but if you enjoy Will Arnett's comedic timing, jokes about marriage and farts, and the famous dancing scene from the movie Dirty Dancing, you might find The Millers entertaining. 

If there's nothing new here, what's good about The Millers?

Will Arnett's line delivery is great, though at this point that's pretty much a universal truth, like ice cream being delicious and exercise being the devil. While I prefer my Margo Martindale with a hint of evil and malice a la her characters on Justified and The Americans, she's not too bad herself. And now that Jayma Mays and Nelson Franklin have replaced original cast members Michael Rapaport and Mary Elizabeth Ellis as Debbie and Adam, their characters are more appealing.

Okay, so you like all the actors. What aren't you telling me? What's NOT so good about The Millers?

Um, the story isn't that great, I guess? The Millers plays on the classic sitcom trope of having crazy and meddlesome parents who don't know not to put metal in the microwave or who can't pick up the phone without hitting redial with their chin. And while it may get a few chuckles out of you, none of the comedy is really all that funny. It feels kind of like we've seen this before.

Give me a final verdict: Do I watch The Millers or not?

This might be my personal feelings for Will Arnett speaking, but sure, why not? Just don't go in expecting the Next Great American Sitcom. The Millers isn't reinventing anything here.

Can I see a trailer to really make up my mind?

You got it, dude.

thekaitling:list:the-millers-will-you-watch/

The Millers premieres Thursday, October 3 at 8:30pm on CBS. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 11/24/2014

Season 2 : Episode 6

24 Comments
Follow this Show
Members