The Moment of Truth

FOX (ended 2008)

gwactuary

The Moment of Truth Fan Reviews (38)

7.2
  • Reality game show.

1.1
    My dad and I are polar opposites when it comes to television. He favors reality TV, which I mostly detest. Some of my favorite shows are animated, which he considers kidstuff--even series that skew solidly adult, like "Boondocks." When he discovers a show he considers a gem, he insists that I give it a try. Which is how I came to "Moment of Truth." As I understand it, this is about real people who collect cash prizes for truthfully answering questions about their lives and the lives of their loved ones. The problem for me with shows like this is that they are either contrived or exploitative. "Moment of Truth" is both. Many of the questions are intended to hurt the contestant's loved ones--who are seated right there on the stage--if the contestant answers truthfully. Their pain looks real, and it makes me cringe. That's not entertainment. My dad says the contestants and loved ones are probably actors. If so, that takes the "reality" out of reality TV. Either way, what's the point in watching?