The Munsters Forums

CBS (ended 1966)

Is Eddie a werewolf or a demon?

BCzar

[1]Feb 14, 2006
    • level: 4
    I, like most people, always thought Eddie was supposed to be a werewolf, mainly because his middle name is Wolfgang. But there is an episode that makes me think he might actually be some sort of demon. It was the episode where Grandpa makes a robot brother for Eddie. Eddie ends up becoming jealous of the robot and runs away from home. The family finds him and he says that they don't love him anymore, to which Lily replies "Oh, of course we love you, Eddie! We love you from the tips of your pointed little ears to the soles of your cloven little hooves!" Wolves, or even werewolves, don't have hooves. So, does this actually make Eddie some sort of little devil or what?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MiLo-Raven

[2]Feb 15, 2006
    • level: 26
    BCzar wrote:
    I, like most people, always thought Eddie was supposed to be a werewolf, mainly because his middle name is Wolfgang. But there is an episode that makes me think he might actually be some sort of demon. It was the episode where Grandpa makes a robot brother for Eddie. Eddie ends up becoming jealous of the robot and runs away from home. The family finds him and he says that they don't love him anymore, to which Lily replies "Oh, of course we love you, Eddie! We love you from the tips of your pointed little ears to the soles of your cloven little hooves!" Wolves, or even werewolves, don't have hooves. So, does this actually make Eddie some sort of little devil or what?

I am not sure neither...

SupermanNYC

[3]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 45
    he's a werewolf

Boot_Hill

[4]Jun 10, 2006
    • level: 11
    I don't think that they followed the "rules" too closely. Grandpa was a vampire, yet you saw him out during the day. It was all good fun, and I really liked the Munster-Mobile.

shelley06

[5]Oct 15, 2006
    • level: 21
    Right, the "rules" of monsters were not followed -----but Eddie was definitely supposed to be a werewolf.

dleepat

[6]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 1
    Hi, hes supposed to be a werewolf, but the charactersall dontfll i the rght characteristisc, where u from? I love the munsters too. write backfor talk andchat

jmartin7112000

[7]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 13

It's worth noting here that Lily's brother Lester, who was a werewolf, made an appearance in the last scene of "Herman's Rival," from season 1, episode 15 (1964). The gene must have been recessive in the bloodline. Note also that Grandpa could turn himself into a wolf and howl like a wolf even in human form.

John

Boot_Hill

[8]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 11
    The original Dracula could turn himself into a wolf, if I remember my Bram Stoker correctly.

aolhater

[9]Dec 4, 2006
    • level: 5
    It could be either but I believe Eddy is a werewolf.

In one episode, there was a sound of a wolf howling at the moon and somebody said that was Eddy howling at the moon.

blackula19

[10]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    here's another thing that i don't follow....when herman's sketchy twin brother visits he holds his hand at about eye level (roughly 7 feet for Fred Gwynne) and tells eddie that he hasn't seen him since he was that high...is this a reference to eddie getting tossed into the ceiling by herman or is it implying that he turns into a giant wolf or is it something else that i'm missing like he grows in reverse or something?

borisbalinkoff

[11]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 22
    blackula19 wrote:
    here's another thing that i don't follow....when herman's sketchy twin brother visits he holds his hand at about eye level (roughly 7 feet for Fred Gwynne) and tells eddie that he hasn't seen him since he was that high...is this a reference to eddie getting tossed into the ceiling by herman or is it implying that he turns into a giant wolf or is it something else that i'm missing like he grows in reverse or something?

My guess is that's it's growing in reverse, but this is the only time I can think of that reference. They didn't always stay consistent with what was weird and funny--for instance, one time Eddie said he couldn't go to sleep while it was dark out, but they usually slept at night. However, another time, Lily asked him if he was in bed. He responded, "Yes, but I can't stay awake." The rules are inconsistent, but funny nevertheless.

blackula19

[12]Mar 11, 2007
    yeah i'm not a real hard on about that kind of stuff but it just seemed like such a weird remark

lp45cdwoman

[13]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 1
    Eddie was designed to be a werewolf, but, of course, he wouldn't adhere to the conventions of werewolfdom throughout the series, just like Grandpa was more of a mad scientist than a stereotype vampire or Herman was just more of a big kid than what we expect from the Frankenstein monster. Eddie's basic character was always more of a jumping-off point than a hard and fast personality. That's what made THE MUNSTERS so much fun!

blackula19

[14]Mar 15, 2007
    there's a whole new twist to my height question in that today i saw an episode where Grampa makes a potion to make Eddie grow b/c the kids at school were teasing him for being short, but the potion only ended up making him grow facial hair and Herman's brother wasn't in the episode at all, so it really doesn't shed any new darkness on the issue at all

DOMOJITA

[15]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 18

ok i just want to know is why is eddie a werewolf and not a mutant hybrid of his parents like a dracula with the strength of a frankenstein monster and also arnt monsters and demons the same there both hated by people and everyone wants thim dead sints thay do nothing but kill tortcher and eat humans in the dead of night so iny way eddie shude be a mutant hybrid of a dracula and a frankenstein and not a werewolf becouse it dusent make senth if he's a werewolf and not eather a mutant hybrid or one of the other but sints no one sed inything befor the show ended then who cares but still a mutant hybrid wood look cooler and make more senth then a werewolf being the child of a femail dracula and a mail frankenstein dont you think???

Edited on 04/28/2008 2:02pm

aesgaard41

[17]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 34
    Eddie takes after Uncle Lester; he's a werewolf. Lily was just being precocious.

A better question is: is Lily a vampire or a living undead? I never heard her make a single vampire reference.

oldognutrix

[18]Oct 1, 2008
    I always considered him a werewolf, especially with the doll he carried around.

schmoe56789

[19]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 23
    It was also revealed that Eddie had gills. I think Eddie was a bit of a "mix" of monsters, since he had pointy ears and pale (or green, depending on the episode or photo) skin, but also howled at the moon like others mentioned. He also slept in a coffin, which is more vampire related than wolf. Of course, we never see him transform into a bat or wolf like Grandpa. He does turn into a werewolf in the 1995 TV movie "Here Come the Munsters," but that film isn't really consistent with the show. It also shows Lily to be a vampire, when she bites a cop.

BCzar

[20]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 4

I think I may have found where they got the idea for Eddie's make-up: kphipps3000.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/werewolf_of_london_portrait_b1.jpg. Just saw the movie a few weeks back and Eddie popped into my head.