The Munsters Forums

CBS (ended 1966)

Munsters or Addams

Which do you like better--The Munsters or The Addams Family?

borisbalinkoff

[1]May 5, 2007
    • level: 22

Which do you like better--The Munsters or The Addams Family?

For me, it's The Munsters.

Lisa Loring (Wednesday Addams) has said The Addams Family has more sophisticated humor. I don't buy that at all. Every kind of humor The Addams Family had, The Munsters had, and more. The Addams Family relied heavily on the fact that they were weird, but The Munsters did that as well as Herman's comic ignorance and campy fun.

Pretty much every episode in the first season of The Addams Family followed a formula--society wants something from the Addams family (or occasionally the Addamses want something), so a person went to the house, had the gate shut on him, rang the doorbell, got scared, and ended up going crazy by the end of the episode. The Munsters, on the other hand, had a little more variety in their episodes. They had conflicts within their family, as well as out; they went on vacations; they had criminals getting mixed up with them (lots of those); and many other things.

It also occurred to me that three of my least-favorite episodes of The Munsters ("Munster Masquerade," "Yes Galen, There is a Herman," "A Visit from the Teacher") follow the Addams formula.

I still like The Addams Family, but I think The Munsters was a little more creative.

Edited on 05/05/2007 3:57pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Eric5237

[2]May 11, 2007
    • level: 7
    Munsters are the best

nicole812us

[3]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    I love both but I have to say the Munsters. The Munsters makes me laugh more. Though I love the Addams Family, they reused alot of storylines. Where every Munsters episode was fresh.

shelley06

[4]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 21
    nicole812us wrote:
    I love both but I have to say the Munsters. The Munsters makes me laugh more. Though I love the Addams Family, they reused alot of storylines. Where every Munsters episode was fresh.

I agree--The Munsters was much more original! And I preferred the characters and the actors who portrayed them on The Munsters....

tvking1

[5]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 42
    The Addams Family was a pretty good show, but The Musters was better. They all made a difference. And let's face it, The Musters had Marilyn.

bearerofgnomes

[6]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 6
    defenitely the munsters

aesgaard41

[7]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 34
    I liked both, both truthfully,each series had a different premise. The Munsters was about being different and trying to act normal. The Addams was about being different and choosing to act different. Could the families have gotten along with each other? I believe, yes; I believe the Munsters would have felt in tune with the Addams ways of life but have still preferred the humble life.

bfuller07

[8]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 1
    The munsters was the best, i never really cared for the Adams family.

krazypsychogir

[9]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 4
    The Munsters are definately the BEST! I mean the Addams family is just a cheap immitation. The Addams family tried to freaking hard to be funny when everything the Munsters did came naturally. Screw the damn Addams Family!!!

clos_vf

[10]Mar 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    had more laughs watching the munsters. Everyone was scared of Herman more than they were of Lurch.

I would love to have the Munsters if they were a real family their house looked like it would have been a better place to visit you wouldnt die in the house as you would in the Addams house.

oldognutrix

[11]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 3
    That's a tough one, but I like the Munsters a litlle more.

schmoe56789

[12]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 23
    I like The Munsters a lot, but The Addams Family is still decent. From watching the Volume 1 DVD of The Addams Family though, I've noticed its production values weren't always very high. They almost never have exterior scenes that are actually outside and a lot of shots were reused like the pet lion walking on the stairs. There was also two scenes (one with Gomez and Morticia fencing and one with Gomez and Fester (I think) standing on their heads) that were reused in later episodes but the dialogue was just redubbed! I think The Munsters probably had a lot more resources at their disposal since they were being made at Universal.