The Muppet Show

Lena Horne

Aired Unknown Nov 01, 1976 on

• ...In which I gush about one little sketch that inexplicably blows my mind. That sketch: perfect 10. Episode as a whole: eh, all right. But never mind that:

It's hard to RATE a variety show episode. On the whole, there wasn't anything particularly great about this particular episode... except for ONE SKETCH. That is what I want to talk about today.

I have seen the Rag Mop sketch before, but it never caught my attention until this last time. Suddenly, it just blew me away. Something about all those mop heads flopping back and forth just looked SO FRICKIN' COOL. And it became even cooler the more closely I watched it. They're just STICK PUPPETS! I'm pretty sure only the lead singer even had a working mouth, let alone any other controllable parts. Yet the Muppeteers not only brought them to life, they brought them VIBRANTLY to life. I was transfixed, with the sort of smile you get just from the joy of seeing something REALLY AMAZING take place. I left that episode just wanting to share the Joy of the Rag Mop Sketch with everyone I knew. I'll have to settle for posting this review.