The Muppet Show

(ended 1981)

Carolee99

The Muppet Show Fan Reviews (54)

• All ages, quirky, diverse puppet show!

Few ep (09)
  • Kermit the Frog tries to put on a show every week while trying to deal with back stage chaos on the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational muppettational! This is what we call The Muppet Show!

What can be said about The Muppet Show that isn't already well known. One of the greatest television shows in history. Every episode belongs in a time capsule. The guests are always terrific and the sketches and songs are very well written that they never get old or tired. The fact that this show is almost part of mainstream culture is a testament to it's staying power (Who among us doesn't know "Mena Mena"?). Everybody's two favorite grumpy old men Statler and Waldorf are sure to provide laughs everytime they appear. Speaking of laughs, Fozzie Bear certainly makes his contribution.

• It's tome to get things started on The Muppet Show tonight!

With a lively crew of Muppeteers, writers, producers, and Jim himself heading this wacky adventure, one couldn't help but get sucked in. Yes, like a fellow Muppet family member in Sesame Street, The Muppet Show appealed to children just as easily as it did towards adults, and yes, like the future family member in Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show did showcase brilliant unity between the characters and the audience. The only difference: Whereas education was Sesame Street's forte and promoting a world balance was Fraggle Rock's niche, The Muppet Show had those things, but was best in one differing attribute...outter craziness, chaos, mayhem, and disorder!

From Gonzo's dangerous antics, to Crazy Harry blowing the theatre up constantly, to Swedish Chef finding new inventive ways to create homemade dishes, to Statler & Waldorf heckling Fozzie already bad jokes that were set to bore anyone to death, and even to Miss Piggy hogging...er, relishing the spotlight, the diverse cast of colorful characters for this variety show with a vaudeville feel seemed endless.

In fact, no character was as cheerfully radiant as the numerous guest stars who starred on the program, proving that this was something unique...a variety show formula starring big time stars, semi-insane puppets, and an audience just as loud & bonkers as the characters being presented!
  • BEST SHOW IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER!!!!!!!If anyone never heard of the muppets they are crazy! I

I love how on every episod diffrent happens to Gonzo's truppet. I also love some of the guess stars.Some of them are very funny like Florence Handerson,Mummenschanz and Steve Martin.I have Sesons 1,2,and 3 on DVD. I always watch the muppets on long car trips and cant stop watching them. I was so sad that the creater of the muppets died and someone else had to do the voice of kermit. I loved how on Steve Martins episode they were doing audisions and he couldent do the show so he tried out and kermit was so mad and how miss piggy kept pulling the girl offstage and saying "I'm the girl singer around here." Muppets are my life.
  • The Muppets shows is full of colorful settings, funny characters, and creative dialog.

If Kermit the Frog doesn't make you laugh, you have a sick, cold hard soul. The green coated, ping pong ball eyed frog is a Muppet. A creation by Jim Henson which is a mixture of marionette and puppet, thus having, "Muppet". Now this show isn't just the average shabam where you can flick on the tube and say you want to watch it. It's gone, but I don't want it back because it lies in my memories. When I was a kid my parents would always buy tapes of episodes of The Muppet Show, and I remember watching them back to back to back. Well point is: Great show.
  • A man, a frog, and their dream.

In 1969, Jim Henson garnered national success and fame when his Muppets became central characters in the new children's TV show "Sesame Street". After several successful TV specials, Henson had an idea: a primetime musical and comedy variety show with celebrity guest stars that would bring the wackiness of the Muppets into the homes of American viewers. The result: The Muppet Show!

Viewers were already familiar with Kermit the Frog and Rowlf the Dog, but the Muppet Show introduced us to dozens of memorable characters that have wriggled their way into pop culture and our hearts. Soon, Miss Piggy became the biggest name in Hollywood, Fozzie Bear was cracking us up on stage, and millions of people were speaking gibberish and saying "Bork bork" as they made dinner while watching the Swedish Chef. Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem put new twists on classic music, Veterenarian's Hospital had us glued to our seats, and Pigs in Space brought the Swine Trek to places that pigs have never gone before. Add to that the likes of the Great Gonzo, Rizzo the Rat, Scooter, Animal, Sweetums, Robin, and the two old guys who heckled every act from their theatre box, and you have a fabulous show.

But it wasn't just the Muppets that made the show special. It wasn't just the crisp writing, the witty sketches, and the endearing performances by Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, and others that made this show what it is. It was the guest stars who came out in droves to interact with ou favourite characters that was special. Many of the day's biggest celebrities made guest appearances. I'm talking the big time here, like Academy Award winners Rita Moreno and Peter Ustinov. Platinum selling artistis like Johnny Cash and Alice Cooper. Living legends in comedy like Bob Hope and George Burns. TV icons like Candace Bergen and Milton Berle. Silver Screen heroes like Christopher Reeves and Vincent Price. Their adventures with the Muppets made teh Muppets even more real and dear. Over all, this is a show that helped define a generation, and still had the power to do more of the same.
  • I love this show.

I love this show. I want it back but at the same time I don't. The reason I don't is because I know it just wouldn't be as good as when it was originally on the air and that Disney would mess it up somehow. You have to admit, the muppets haven't been quite the same since they left Jim Henson's care. But the Muppet-Show was one of the greatest variety shows of all time. There were muppets on there that you don't see anymore. You dono't really see much of Janice when it comes to the muppets nowadays, do you? The skits were also random, made only to entertain.
  • Wholesome.

I can't stop loving the muppets, I have loved them for over 20 years now and the affair doesn't seem about to stop. Back in the 70's Jim Henson had these little puppets came to life under his imagination. I love the classic circa 1950's variety hour feel of the Muppet Show. The guests were huge, and the regular cast although fuzzy and "not living" were hilarious. As a kid I would watch the Muppet Show (in reruns)for the muppets and their funny sketches, now that I'm older I continue to watch (on DVD) to see these classic actors, and music makers in their prime. So great.
  • Classic. Just plain classicness (Yes, I realize that's not a word)

An extremly awesome show. It started out alright (Season 1 wasn't that good.) But from Season 2 and forward, it's great stuff. The Muppets were created by an entertainment genius named Jim Henson. The guy created so many classic characters. My favorites are Dr. Honeydew and beaker, The Swedish Chef, and Crazy Harry. Really, who hasn't heard of the Muppets? Kermit is known throughout most of the entire world! When each Muppet interacts with each other, there's a certain magic that happens, and it's great.

Definitly a classic. Buy every season (Just watch out for season 1, and don't stop watching the show because of it.)
  • this show was great and I will prbably buy the DVD.

loved this show the muppets were cool, and they always had really big name guests, it was amazing because you wouldn't think big stars and especially in that amount of quanity would really do a show like that. I really liked the guys in the balcony they were my favorite muppets, along with fozzy, and of course Kermit. I liked all of them really, and the cartoon that they made later was pretty good too, I liked it as a kid. Muppets are something most kids grew up with and enjoyed watching, but it was also something the whole family could watch, there aren't many shows, if any, like that today.
  • One of the best family/comedy/variety shows ever!

Jim Henson was a genius. To the thought of a puppet show on the Muppet show, the Great Gonzo once said "Who wants to see dolls wiggling?" It sounds ludicrous. Really, who wants to see crude cloth and fabric shaped like an animal, and paraded for entertainment? Of course you don't. But somehow, Messrs Henson, Oz, Hunt, Whitmire, Goelz and others turned these insignificant marionettes into lovable, hateable, endearing, frustrating, funny, feeling characters. Just like real people. And the success came from the family relationship the Muppets have. Carol Burnett said this perfectly on the tribute to Jim Henson. And the fact that generations of people in dozens of countries feel this way, tells you how special that is. May the Muppets live on.
  • Unsurpassed plethora of frolicky exuberance. Or a whole lotta fun!

One of a very few shows of any kind that influenced so much, stayed for so long and delighted so many.
    Who doesn't know Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo and Fozzy? Manna manna? Swedish chef? Pigs in space? --- There is so many iconic scenes there that this small square would'n do them justice. It was both for adults and children - and children in adults. Decades later I still can't say there is, or was, a show which would come close to the level of the Muppet Show. Everything clicked, from the soundtracks to the comedic numbers and the intermezzos. I loved the fact that it was in fact made like a show - with all the behind-the-scenes work which spices up the "drama". I guess about the only thing I didn't enjoy as much were the more family oriented guest stars - but I guess it was, after all, a family show. To me, give me a Kermit shake, a Gonzo horn, a Waka Waka and a drumming Animal over a guest star any day! Unbelievably fresh still today.
  • Fozzie Bear is funny.

I used to watch this show on Nick Jr when I was in elementary school. I used to imitate Miss Piggy and my teacher told me that I sounded like Miss Piggy and a few times I imitated Fozzie Bear one of my classmates told me that I sounded like Fozzie Bear. I didn't know that my classmate had seen the Muppets. His mom told me that he has videos of the Muppets. Fozzie is really my favorite. It was really funny when he would tell bad jokes and people would throw rotten tomatoes at him. I got the old chicken joke from him and I started telling it to people no matter where I went. I told it to people in elementary school, middle school and part of high school.
  • A very funny TV show from my childhood.

This show was from the mind of Jim Henson of Seasame Street and Yoda (Start Wars) fame.

A great show that was for kids and adults alike. You had the muppets for the kids but much of the humor was geared towards the adults so that they didn't mind watching too much. A great show that was for kids and adults alike. You had the muppets for the kids but much of the humor was geared towards the adults so that they didn't mond watching too much. Great character like Miss Piggy, the whole Pigs In Space Thing and the crazy scientist dudes. Many great voices that were of course the actual stars of the show.
  • I love the Muppets!

It's time to play the music,
    It's time to light the lights,
    It's time to meet the Muppets,
    On the Muppet Show tonight!
    It's time to put on makeup,
    It's time to dress up nice,
    It's time to raise the curtain,
    On the Muppet Show tonight!

That's the opening theme song for the Muppets! Every time I hear it I get all excited. I love love LOVE Kermit the frog, in fact, he is my role model! I even mad a fan site for him. If you want to see it, then go to www.freewebs.com/kermitfanclub ! I also love Gonzo the Great and Miss Piggy. I wish they would bring the Muppet Show back! :(
  • quite possibly the best show ever.

I love any show that I can go back and watch 20 years later and laugh just as hard. I am always amazed at the level of adult humor in this show that just wizzed over my head when I was a kid. This show was the ONLY show that my whole family could agree on (even though we all had very different fav. characters) and I am sure that my family was not the only family that it brought together. I have only met two people who hated this show and I am fairly certain that those people were physically unable to understand humor.
  • Its OKay, I guess

5.1
    The Muppet Show depicted a song-and-dance variety show, as well as the backstage antics involved in putting the show on. Most of the shows revolved around Kermit The Frog trying to keep control of the varied, outrageous, kinetic Muppet characters, as well as keep the human guest stars happy and secure. The show was well known for outrageous, highly physical and sometimes absurd comedy and parodies. Many major celebrities were eager to perform with the Muppets on television and in film. Each show featured a human guest star such as Steve Martin, Mark Hamill, Elton John, Brooke Shields, and John Cleese
  • "It's time to meet the Muppets!"

This show is my childhood. Pretty simple. It reminds me of everything good about being a kid. It's no coincidence that my icon is Kermit and that I went to the University of Maryland, where Muppet creator Jim Henson is the most famous alumni. I even met his wife Jane once, who OK'd my class's senior gift to the university - a statue of Jim Henson with Kermit on his shoulder in the middle of campus.

The Muppet Show was great. The humor was wacky and the skits were hiliarious.

Animal's tirades and Statler and Waldorf quips were my favorite parts of the show - but the latter two would tell you the best part of The Muppet Show and this review ... is the end! HA!
  • A great vareity show.... with puppets named muppets.

The Muppet show is great. The reason I started I started watching it was because my brother had the complete first season on DVD. I instintly fell in love with, although I rarely see it. The great Gonzo is my favroite character because he is so funny. Fozzie Bear and Kermit the frog are tied for second. Most of the guest stars are great too. You can call me a muppet fan and you won't be lying. It's been a tradition for me to watch the Muppet's Christmas carol, usally with my mom, in late November as my first Christmas movie of the year. Jim Henson, R.I.P., came up with a good idea when he though of the muppets. Well cluing up another review by reminding you: Flats_flounder has spoken.
  • This show is just a classic.

How could you not like the muppets. It had Kermit and Miss Piggy. It was way above and beyond all the other kid show on at the time and on now. It was enjoyed by parents and the kids. It had skits, special host visitors and was just so much fun to watch. It was a show and what was behind the show. IT had such great guest hosts too. The exploits of kermit and miss piggy were the best. she just tortured him. Plus, gonzo was so much fun to watch. I always loved to see th e grumpy old men make fun of everything too.
  • Classic!

A frog, a pig, a bear, and a gonzo? Who would have thought this combernation would work!?

The Muppets starring Kermit the frog (From Sesame Street) as the leader of the group who puts on a variety show.
    Kermet is being chased by Miss Piggy (oh Kermie!)the ham of the show, Fozzie the comedic bear ,are among the series muppets.
    There's ussaly many skits, one is Pigs In Space!!!, a sci fi adventure comedy skit, with Miss Piggy and a couple of other Pig Muppets, playing the roles of austronaunts.
    Good time for all! I watched it when I was younger and it was my favourite

• A great show that was for kids and adults alike. You had the muppets for the kids but much of the humor was geared towards the adults so that they didn't mond watching too much.

A great show that was for kids and adults alike. You had the muppets for the kids but much of the humor was geared towards the adults so that they didn't mond watching too much. Great character like Miss Piggy, the whole Pigs In Space Thing and the crazy scientist dudes. Many great voices that were of course the actual stars of the show. They were provided by:Jim Henson
    Kermit the Frog / Rowlf the Dog / Link Hogthrob / The Swedish Chef (puppetry and voice) / Dr. Teeth / Muppet Newsman / Waldorf
    Frank Oz
    Miss Piggy(1977-1981)/ Fozzie Bear / Animal / Sam the Eagle / The Swedish Chef (Hands)

Louise Gold
    Annie Sue (1977-1981) Richard Hunt
    Beaker / Miss Piggy (1976-1977) / Janice (1977-1981) / Wayne / Scooter / Statler / Sweetums

Dave Goelz
    Gonzo / Dr. Bunsen Honeydew / Zoot / Muppy / Beauregard Jerry Nelson
    Camilla / Floyd / Robin / Crazy Harry (1977-1981) / Uncle Deadly / Dr. Julius Strangepork / Pops (1980-1981) / Thog / Lew Zealan

Steve Whitmire
    Foo Foo (1979-1981) / Rizzo the Rat (1979-1981) / Lips (1980-1981) Kathryn Mullen
    Gaffer / Various (1978-1981)

John Lovelady
    Crazy Harry (1976-1977) / Nigel Eren Ozker
    Janice / Wanda / Hilda (1976-1977)
  • A great classic, and a personal favorite of mine.

The Muppet show is one of my all time favorite shows. Theres a great mix of comedy, seriousness, music and pure fun. Its amazing what Jim acomplished with the muppets. But really, the muppets is a great show thats fun for the whole family to watch. The characters are great, the sketches are funny, and theres great inbetween sketch plots. I hardly grew up with the muppets, and just watched the reruns a long time ago, and watching Muppets Christmas carol on tv, mostly because I am too young to have been alive during its origional run. But after I got the Muppet Show DVD, I have grown to a full fan. Yay for the Muppets!
  • Funny show! Great to watch with the whole family!

I have always loved the Muppets! They are so funny! Anyways, I have all kinds of Muppet merchandise at home and I have The Muppet Show Season One on DVD! I don't have the others yet, but as with Garfield & Friends, I am a Muppet fanatic! I think this show is great and enjoyable for the WHOLE family! Kids and adults alike who LOVE the Muppets can watch the show and laugh and sing with their favorite Muppet characters! I think this show deserves a spin-off or sequel because this show is SO FUNNY!!!! This is one funny show!
  • An all-time favorite and classic!

We need the Muppets back. Not the watered-down version that does pizza ads these days, but the old school Muppets. The Muppet Show was an absolute classic, in that it could appeal both to children and adults. I remember looking forward to watching this every night at 7:30 when I was in grammar school, and dreaming of being a member of the studio audience. The show was, and still is, amazing.

What especially astonishes me about The Muppet Show and, for that matter, the early Muppet movies, is the calibre of guest star they were able to get. You'd never see that nowadays.

If you've never seen these episodes, try them. You won't regret it.
  • Great show, Have all the DVD's with the jim Henson name on it. The Muppet show, Fragle Rock, Dinosaurs, The Laberynth. All great DVD's from the mind of a man who in my books will be missed and is missed.

Man the muppet show was the stuff to watch when i was growing up. I remember watching the show every week and never missing an episode. When i found out it was coming to DVD i rushed out the day it came out and spent 30.00 on it just to watch the show again and again. I have 2 sisters and one has only seen the muppet babies and muppets tonight, my 2 sisters loved my DVD. Jim Henson was a mastermind, a saint, an icon if you will. From Sesame Street to Muppets, Fraggle Rock, and Dinosaurs. There will never be another with the great ideas ans Mr. Henson had.
  • A TV great.

The Muppet Show is, by far, one of the best constructed variety shows out there. Plus, it has all our favorite Muppet characters, and seriously, who can go wrong with the Muppets? This show is a perfect blend of song and dance, Muppet and guest star interaction, and just plain fun for the whole family.
    The humor in the show offers the perfect mix of adult jokes and gags that fly right over the heads of children, and laughs that both child and adult can enjoy. Jim Henson truly created a masterpiece with this show, not to mention his popular films and other spin-off shows. The Muppet Show also offers a wonderful glimpse of many of the stars of yesteryear (the mid- to late-1970s), man of whom still survive today
  • The Muppet Show was one of the most ingenious-scratch that was and still is the most ingenious show in history.

Top characters, quality comedy on several different levels, flawless puppetry, amazing imagination, strorng plots and complete mayhem!

Not only did the Muppet show start of as one of the most original shows ever on TV it improved in every episode and by the time it had finished its run it was bigger than the beatles...Jim Henson was sent from heaven by God to try and enlighten us...which he did, name one person whose life hasn't changed thanks to the Muppets.

The Best show in the universe. Period.
  • The Muppet Show is a great show. I watched it when I was younger and when I see re-runs today I get "childhood flashbacks". Still today, Kermit and Robin are my favourites.

The Muppet Show is a great program. It's so funny & the characters are so "life like" anyone at any age could enjoy this show. Please, bring back The Muppet Show with skit's and music with today's tv, movie and singing celebrities to introduce The Muppet Show to a new generation.
  • I love miss pigee like good time fun

The Muppet Show good time for ket for age 1 year to 8 year old here in Australia Muppet Show big hit here in start in 1980 to 1989 but The Muppet Show going on DVD right now the The Muppet Show here that good show people think thay are ket thay are good wot on tv but now they are on DVD
< 1 2