The Muppet Show

The Muppets Valentine Show

Aired Unknown Jan 30, 1974 on

• At the time, this might have been a cutesy family-oriented series of musical numbers, ultimately forgettable. But in hindsight it can best be described as... SURREAL.

I wasn't sure how to rate this episode-- taken on its own, it's pretty dull. But watching it now, now that we know what the Muppets have become... well I will just have to repeat the word SURREAL. I can't think how else to describe it! The characters are all clearly Muppets-- some of them are vaguely familiar, a few VERY familiar, and yet the minor characters are major characters and the major ones are minor. There's Kermit hanging out on the sidelines-- I kept expecting him to try to organize everyone, whip them into shape, take control of the show, yet all he did was briefly and somewhat grouchily contribute his sad tale of Going A'Courtin'. Mia Farrow related to the characters in the same way later guest stars would relate to the characters on the Muppet Show-- as if she knew them personally. But though SHE knew them, WE do not. So on the whole you're watching all this, feeling like you've been dropped into an alternate dimension, somewhere where the Muppet Show as we know it never happened and something else entirely happened instead. Personally, I'm very glad reality took the Muppet-track it ended up taking. But it's worth having this surreal experience once-- you can now find this special on the bonus tracks to the Muppet Show Season 2 DVDs.