The Naked Brothers Band

First Kiss (On The Lips, That Is)

Aired Saturday 8:30 PM Apr 07, 2007 on Nickelodeon

• For all the potential this episode could have reached, it came nowhere near my expectations and was too alike other episodes of the same nature.

4.7
    Overall: 4.6/10

This is typical first kiss episode and did not stray to far from what appears to be a set script of episodes of this nature. However I would not call any kiss during this episode a true first kiss not even for TV standards. This is an improvement on 'A Man Needs a Maid' but it is still not a good episode.

Storyline 3.5/10

This episode was unoriginal and full of tired cliché's, with Nat being caught in some embarrassing situations while trying to practise kissing. Patrice talking Rosalina out of the kiss had some good potential; however her following parts left me in two minds. She seemed to have only thought about the short term. Did she really expect that Rosalina would not find out if she had won and in the event that she did, she really expected Nat to kiss her. He knew that it was her that talked Rosalina out of the kiss. Is this showing the lengths that people will go to get what they want or just a piece of writing that wasn't thought out properly? I have incline based on other episode to think the latter, but I am not sure. Alex seems left out all most ignored in full group shots, and I get the feeling that the storyline was either written or altered to disguise that he is for lack of a better word, an afterthought. This is not based on any evidence but is speculation based on what it seemed like to me. It appears through some of the shots that were shown than Mr Wolff is having second thoughts about Betty, he seemed slightly annoyed and perhaps exasperated with Betty. On the topic of Betty and Mr Wolff, why have they been written so that they are so intent on ruining the music video? Yet again the adults are shown as being the children and vice versa. Why was filming of the video not cut at the first sign of interference, and why when the music video director finally call cut was he ignored. It is shown in other episodes that Nat and Alex are desperate for a dog, why does Alex not get so annoyingly excited with Rusty and Pogo as he does for ET and Lucky?

Acting 5.9/10

Nat does a good job acting angry at Rosalina, although he appears to smile slightly when Rosalina enters the room before the 'first kiss', this although minor mad me sub consciously not take what came next seriously. This minor thing distorted what is supposed to be a very important moment in the episode, I do not blame Nat as it was most likely sub conscious but it should have been done over. Alex does a good job in acting disinterested with his father although some thing I would not really expect until at least twelve. He also does well acting embarrassed about his hair, and I am very reserved about his acting after he kisses 'Melony'. Most members of the cast were not seen enough to really comment, Rosalina, I'm almost convinced is a blonde. Patrice however would have to be the best this episode. I can not really fault her, although being from NZ I can not really understand what popularity has to do with anything. Also convincing were who I have dubbed the 'fan girls' for their accurate depiction of this group within the fan base.

Producing/Directing/Editing 5.0/10

Dynamics a reasonably good although there are some areas of concern. Alex appearing to laugh during the music video was one thing I noted that possibly was an oversight. I found the actual flow of the episode was too choppy from one plot to another and this did not allow smooth viewing. I did not like the 'first kiss' being frozen, if it was that special is shouldn't have been edited. This freeze mad the whole thing seemed too cheesy and you would not find it happening in a true documentary.

Character Development 3.0/10

Nat gets his first kiss in the episode and Mr Wolff and Betty also share a kiss. It is revealed that Betty heard Mr Wolff play at the Rat Sculler. After some uncertainty it is confirmed that Wynita likes curly hair over straight. These short sentences pretty much sum it all up, although I can expand slightly and say that prior to Nat's 'first kiss' he had is trust in Rosalina broken and I believe it was regained far to quickly.

Music 4.0/10

'Long Distance' This song was average at complete best but more likely mediocre, I did not hate it in entirety but I think the 'Michael Jackson' squeal ruined anything it had going for it. I can not really go into a lot more depth with the song and I will refuse to comment on the validity of comments about lack experience around the content of some songs, like this.

Dialogue 6.2/10

Dialogue in this episode is relatively good and the lines were in general performed well. And some more interesting dialogue than we have seen in the past. There were a couple of small parts where the lines didn't seem to work properly but I am not unduly concerned, it is an improvement on the garbage I have seen. The video contest entries were well written and provided an accurate depiction of the 'fan girls'.

Other Comments

Alex's laugh sounds quite obviously forced during the video rehearsal and due to some freak of nature his hair managed to become straight(ish) within a few seconds. Call me ignorant if you will but I also fail to understand what popularity has to do with they way you talk to someone, is it really like that in the US?