The Naked Brothers Band

Sidekicks

Aired Saturday 8:30 PM Jan 21, 2008 on Nickelodeon

• This is the first step to proving me wrong, if the rest of the season keeps the same consistency i will happily admit i was wrong

6.1
    All categories marked out of 10.

Overall 6.1/10
    Comments
    This episode again had me disputing the tittle TV movie, instead I would call it a double episode. However this episode has showed vast improvements in all areas and has set the bar for the season. I will be content to see consistency, but would be happier to see improvement through the season. Storyline 6.8/10
    The first 3 or so minutes let down the show enough, in not only this category but a couple of others as well. I found it far to patronizing and unrealistic not just for myself but the shows audience in general. However the rest of episode was impressive and entertaining especially compared to last season. Some parts were a little too predictable but this was restricted enough not to draw any attention away from the plot. There were also a couple of small parts I found just a bit too unpredictable, the main one being when Alex tackles one of the Timmerman Brothers. Acting 7.1/10
    This is another area I can say I was not impressed with the first 3 or so minutes, although this is more or less influenced by what happened and how it was altered not how it was actually performed. However the rest of the episode I was quite pleased. Pleased with more air time for Cooper, David, Thomas and Quasim, allowing me to actually see what they are capable of, and I was happy with what I saw. Patrice as much as her character is annoying was performed extremely well. Nat's role seemed mellowed out a bit, for lack of a better phrase which helped draw more attention to his acting, again I was pleased, he was more believable than in the previous season. But Alex has come out and has shown what had impressed me in season 1 and the movie, he had developed a bit more, and this allows a bit of foreshadowing to occur, This was most evident in the moments leading up to Alex tackling one of the Timmerman Brothers, just by watching Alex I knew exactly what was going to happen, yes it was a bit predictable, but his display of annoyance or whatever feeling you like to call it, told me he was going to do more than knock someone wig off. Producing/Directing/Editing 5.5/10
    This was in my opinion the worst area of the lot, although vastly improved from last season, it contained a few things I expressed dislike for over the previous season. The first 3 minutes was really the worst part, it was far to patronising and did to things I expressed dislike for, with the adding in of sound effects and altering the flow/dynamics of the show, and how it is shown. There were a couple of shot changes that happen just a tad to quickly making things seem awkward, but in general I had no more major complaints. I would like to see more head and shoulder interviews, 6 or so more would have been sufficient.

Character Development 5/10
    The Timmerman Brothers are one thing but Jessie's sisters are just a step to far, I won't say I disliked them, but I feel they were entirely unnecessary, both in the short and long term, The most they did was provide some minor comic relief. The development in general was good and has drawn a lot from the acting and the storyline itself, instead of previous cases where it has just shot off on a tangent. Again it was predictable, but this did not take anything away from the development itself, which was done in good taste and to a good standard.

Music 6/10

I Don't Want to go to School - The improvement was between each seasons music was noted almost immediately, and although not the best song they have produced, it is a load better than almost all of those on the first album. This song would be the most rock (if that makes much sense) that the band has released. It's a good song, and it is true to almost everyone, I mean who actually wants to go to school?

Mystery Girl - Along side the other love songs on this album, this is bearable to listen to. It's upbeat and it's catchy, two things that are contagious and is really what makes the song work.

Misc notes: The use of the music, or the scores at least from the previous season done well and used appropriately. However the same can not be said for the other background music, as it was not performed by the Naked Brothers Band, it seemed to be on a tangent with the mockumentry concept, it would be like a Green Day doco playing Led Zeppelin's music. Dialogue 6.5/10
    The dialogue was good and well suited to the characters, this was evident in the way it was performed, which was to a relatively high standard. As for my quote of the episode, I found this one the most memorable:

"I See many beautiful Jessie's… and many not so beautiful Jessie's" Wing (Daniel Raymont)

Next Review: Naked Brothers Band – Great Trip – Date Unknown