The Naked Brothers Band

The Naked Brothers Band: The Movie

Aired Saturday 8:30 PM Jan 27, 2007 on Nickelodeon

• The first movie in the Naked Brothers Band series.

At first when I saw this show I thought it was really fake and stupid that a bunch of kids could write these songs. But now I think it's so awesome how Nat and Alex could write love songs at the age of 5!!! Now that I'm older I appreciate it more and seeing this movie again is so cool because Nat and Alex are soooo cute and funny. Nat is just a year older than me and his songs are better than ever. And still Alex makes me smile because he is so funny and cute. I said in another one of my reviews that every hater of the Naked Brothers Band should just get lost and I still stick by what i said because these guys are so awesome and deserve to be treated with respect.
  • I watched the season first and was skeptical as what to expect in the movie. However i am pleased to say that it was alot better than the movie. It is a movie you will either love or hate.

Overall 5.9/10

Having watched the first season of the Naked Brothers Band before watching the movie which predates it, left me skeptical as what to expect. However after briefly watching the movie a first time I knew that this was a lot better. I would recommend that anyone who has not watched the movie to watch it, as although it is a children's movie it is quite a descent film.

However it was not without its faults which mainly revolve around how the movie is formatted. The documentary style starts of strong, but soon loses its way. Especially in regards to almost everything being in a present tense. All that needed to be done was for the narration and interviews to have been done in past tense especially with the 'Gold Boulders'. Other footage could have been stated as Archive or Re-enactments. I also felt that the time line of the movie was to compressed, stuff that a band would do in 18 months was done in about two.

Storyline 5.3/10

The basic plot has a lot going for it, and in my opinion still does, if your mind is open enough to allow it. However with that established I would have hoped that it be kept as realistic as possible. As I have already stated it seems a bit to compressed and although it makes it seem fuller it still leaves out a lot and is totally unfeasible. Moving on from that, no band is liked by everyone in the world and there was only one negative comment about the Silver Boulders in the whole movie. The immaturity of the adults is another thing I have expressed dislike for through the season, however I think this was quite restricted compared to the season. Several things in the movie has me concerned about a lot of other people being shown as morons, such as Josh not knowing his song had the same tune as "twinkle twinkle, little star", Jessie at the 52 state thing – in fact a lot of Jessie seems to moronic or for a nice term, seriously misinformed. Although it may seem minor I will also raise the issue of Nat's love of Rosalina and love songs which are or are not necessarily related, which has coped a bit of flak and disagreement within the fan base – it should be noted that some have stemmed from the song's within the season but the underlying issue originated with the movie. Although I do not believe that there is a age limit on experiencing love, I do believe the limit stands with both understanding and knowing about love, in which some of the songs suggest (whether intended or not) the Nat knows a lot about love. I think the solution is a bit of rewording with both songs and some of the dialogue although I can not say exactly what or where. Rosalina realizes that Nat loves her but having watched the season first the discrepancies in regards to this and the season are baffling. Another thing I have mentioned in previous reviews is the inability to differentiate between an English Accent and the stereotype which is not political correct (thankfully in this PC world). One of the great things about the movie is the ability for it to show kids being serious and more mature while still showing the kids being kids. The parents were shown pretty well, pushy, ignorant to a degree and only interested in their own child, however it seemed to be on the high class side of things. It also raises the question, was it the parents wishes that David, Thomas and Josh split and become the "Gold Boulders" for better media attention. Alex becoming a sodaholic seems like a nice twist on Drug abuse and alcoholism, however during the cruise I think some detox scenes at such would have added to this, ie Alex getting Aggressive and extremely desperate for lemon lime soda. Mort Needleman raise a few of questions within me, such as was he following the band around? How did he become a manager seeing as he has no sight for success? The tour realistically would have been canceled as neither band would have had the ability to prepare and organize themselves for the tour. The "Gold Boulders" had only one known song, and as I believe would not have been able to use any "Silver Boulders" songs as any copyrights would by default move to the song writer, in this case Nat, of course an expensive and lengthy court case could change that. The "Naked Brothers Band" was in a different boat as they in effect were a totally new band had really should not have been in any state to record, let alone tour. The "Gold Boulders" turn around and admittance that they like the song "Rosalina" and their desire to join the "Naked Brothers Band" was far to quick and lazy on the writers part. Nat, although I could see it coming from a mile away, was far to forgiving of, Josh, David and Thomas, and I believe he should have shown at least some mistrust. The only major things missing in the movies, was Press bombardment of Nat and Alex, and the Gold Boulders. I also thought Matt Pinfield who would have fit in the movie well.

Acting 7.7/10

The acting in the movie was extremely impressive most actors did great. I only have a few comments some come close to nitpicking. Alex once again was the most convincing of the main actors, he is able to have is lines flow out and seem natural, he can say oddest lines, strangest concepts as though they were the most obvious thing in the world. Not often do things appears to be forced with him, although to be honest the burps and his trying to stop Thomas and Nat fighting were forced, or at least not convincing. Nat was convincing and I can not really come up with any part which was dreadfully bad or obviously forced, however due to the way his character is written made his abilities less visible than the other actors. Allie DiMeco has done a great job as Rosalina however there was one scene the I did not really like, I think her comments after the band broke up did not really strike me as to how they should have been said(if said at all). Cooper was great and quite in tune with his character, but not quite seen as much as I would have liked, along with Cole. Thomas has acted the most aggressive I have seen him, and it is preferable over his timid role in the season, while the "Gold Boulders" as a group did not really work and seemed to repetitive for me to really enjoy. The food fight it self seemed forced as did a couple of other minor moments, but that is to be expected. The majority of the acting was good and there is a lot of potential for the cast.

Producing/Directing/Editing 6.4/10

This has been one of my main areas of concern through out the season, and it begs to ask why? When the movie was done to a reasonable standard it should have set the benchmark for the season. There is a few points however in this category. As this is meant to be a documentary or mockumentry to be close to the truth, I expected things to fit together better. There seemed to be too many cameras for one, and opposite angles within seconds of each other did not show the camera people which goes against all laws of physics. Also during the break up scene, Alex's do rag some how manages to reappear on his head when he was in no position to put it back on. Small things like these made it loses is doco feel, along with the lack of archive footage, although I believe a lot of it should have been stated as archive or re-enactments instead of being live so to speak, which contributed to presence of a script, in which when making a movie in not what you want the viewer to notice while watching it.

Character Development 4/10

I'm not sure about everyone else but I felt the character development brought as straight back to square one. There were a small number of notable character developments but most of those were minor. The biggest would have been the progression of Nat's love of Rosalina until finally admitting to her, as well as her responding with a kiss. The transition from the "Silver Boulders" to the "Gold Boulders" and "Naked Brothers Band" really came to nothing as the "Naked Brothers" were the same band as the "Silver Boulders" with a couple of minor additions. The only other notable change, was Alex's lemon lime soda addiction to that of milk, I can not really count the Alex and Jessie thing, as that was done to early for it to be a development as such.

Music 5/10

With the movie being centered around a band the music is a vital part. I only enjoyed a couple of the songs, and other couple could have been replaced by a better song in which I believe the either Nat or Alex could have written.

"Motormouth" – This was an average song and a little short, but thankfully not annoyingly repetitive. It in ways has some truths to it, depending on how you interpret it, but it is not a song I go out of my way to listen to.

"Got no mojo" – This has no real connection with the movie and was to repetitive and had no depth, this is one of two songs that could have been replaced in the movie for song written by either Nat or Alex and meant more in regards to the movie or life thus far.

"Crazy Car" – Has some depth to it, and the vocals were alright. The music itself was good, and actually sounded pretty cool on Bagpipe (in which I believe to be an underrated instrument) and orchestra. However the 'Cra-a-a-a-a-a-zy Car' got quite annoying after awhile.

"Rosalina" – It is a good song, it's suitable and deep to a number of levels, nowhere near the deepest but it is a good attempt from a young artist. The only complaint I have, and this for personally, is that to my understanding the music for "Rosalina" is the same as that of "Fire fighters" a song Nat wrote as a tribute to those who died during 9/11. As much as it does suit the song, I believe that it is tapu, as it is a tribute. It may be just me but that's how I feel.

"If there was a place to hide" – This is quite a simple song both in regards to the lyrics and the music but that makes it no less enjoyable, if that's the right word to use. It has some depth and has a connection with everybody at some stage during their life. Whether or not it has connected yet, well that's another story. This would be my favourite song of the movie. "That's How It Is" – Very simple in all aspects and very short, there is a certain mood to the song, even if it is not backed by the lyrics. If the lyrics were to be improved, it could add depth to the song and the would improve it vastly. It's start for Alex, but he has the potential to write songs of better quality to what I have heard in the movie and the first season.

"Hardcore Wrestlers" – This is another not so great song and although the mellow bits were tolerable it was just to tediously repetitive. It was really a random song and was only there because of a 2 minute conversation. This is the other song in which could have been replaced for something better. Dialogue 7/10

The dialogue was usually pretty good and suited the cast and the characters, I only have two negative comments about the script and this would be again close to nitpicking (or at least the first one).

In Regards to lines about "boys rule girls drool" not rhyming. Although possibly valid in regards to poetry, especially for kids their age, but songs do not need to rhyme and in fact, a lot of the great ones don't.

The other is in regards to Alex saying childishly stupid things, and although this can be amusing it does get to the stage were it become ludicrous.

Only two quotes are what I deemed memorable as both are as I feel the most true in relation to the movie.

'Silver Boulders, overrated,' – one of the Timmerman Brothers

'If Alex is the most inappropriate boy alive, then I'm the dorkiest' Nat Wolff

And if I were forced to pick a line that I found the most amusing it would have to be: Nat: 'The Bands Breaking Up!' >>Alex: 'What band? What stupid band?'
  • I did like this movie, even though people criticize it a lot. They were all so young and cute. It is cool to see how much all of them have changed.

The movie was funny. The songs were pretty good, except Hardcore Wrestlers. I think this song was pointless and bad, but they tried. I love how Nat writes both serious songs like "Rosalina" but then writes different songs like "Hardcore Wrestlers." Alex was really cute and he showed a lot of potential to become a good actor. Nat was cute and funny, well he still is. It was cute to see him interact with Rosalina. Their kiss at the end was even cuter and very sweet. I loved it when Alex went to the Sodaholics at Sea meeting. His hat was great, I want one. The movie was also great because it had actual stars that made them seem like actul stars.
  • Great Movie!

In my personal opinion, I think this movie was a very refreshing movie. Sure, the acting wasn't a ten on the scale, but what do you expect from a 6 and 9 year old. Nat and Alex Wolff did a very great job as super stars and I think they were exceptional at their parts and I know they'll improve as time goes on. The movie focuses on two brothers that start a band and go through the trials and tribulations of fame. I think they did a very good job at creating a funny movie in the form of a documentary. The movie was awesome and hilarious and I'm definitely going to be watching the show.
  • the naked brothers band

this is the best ever film and series ever. i wish the the naked brothers band would do a concert in london if i ever meet them i would scream thay are all i talk about.i have every series and there movie tapped on sky. there th best in the world.everyone wantsto be them if i could meet the i would love to i wish i had some tickets sent to me. i cant get enough of there song i sing to them.

the order of my favorits is:
    1st - craz car
    2nd - if there was a place to hide
    3rd - catch up with the end
    4th - rosalina
    5th - hard core wrestlers
    6th - motor mouth [chat box] there the best in the whole wide world

i realy want to meet them
  • the Naked brothers band movie kicks off the tv series.

wow. I love this tv movie. I saw it at the hamptons film festival and it actually won the audience favorite award!!! Its such a great movie i could watch it over and over again! It was a great way to kick off the series. It rox!!! I love this movie sooooo much i can't even describe it. there isn't one part that i don't like. Its very funny but also sometimes serious. Its one of the best tv movies ever. Sorry I'm just saying the same things over and over again but I don't really know what to see! I got the dvd and i was watching it in slow motion and it was so funny! I love this movie!!!
  • this was a good movie

This was a great start for the naked brothers band. The movie was filled with good stories in it. I loved the part with alex and the lemon lime soda it was funny!
    Thats about it i will write nonsense to have a hundred words wrrt erqw en hfj l jfnnvhh hjsl jfh hufh jh jhfjl k hgkhjfhj jfh lsh hfidhgi hjfdihg h fidhgh sh dhg hls hgsdfhg fdhg gh gh dfh ghsd fdhgsdhg lgh gh dfhgsdhgurevn r gv vi gkv uh dvnfugsdj b dfhgdfghidu hvbfjg g uhgdhg l hgdfuhg dghdfhgk gjhsn hdfihgskhis fhglhg ifhgshgslh dfk g hdhg lfk hg.
  • Wow!

This movie is so funny, I loved it. But it was alittle stupid at some part of the movie. Like early at the start it was stupid but it turned into a really great movie near the end how they had their big consert of the top of the roof and all the staff. But the movie could be good in someway or it could be better. I don't really know but i like the movie, it had the good parts like how alex drinks all the soda and there's like over 100 cans of soda there and he's like " Just leave me alone."
  • The movie's about Nat and Alex Wolff and their band the Silver Boulders. The Silver boulders get into a band fight and soon they break up. Nat and Alex are depressed at first, but all that changes when the two make their new band- The Naked Brothers Band.

This movie was totally great! I loved it so much. Nat and Alex are totally adorable and I love Nat's singing. Nat Wolff wrote all off the songs in the movie, except for 'That's How It Is' performed by Alex Wolff. I loved all of the songs and I think the kids are great actors. Nat and Rosaliina are totally cute together. Alex is really funny with his 'inappropriate' talk. LOL! The Naked Brothers are a great band. It's a really funny movie and I think the series will be one of the best Nick has ever made. I can't wait to watch it!
  • The best movie ever to hit the Earth!

"The Naked Brothers Band Movie" is all about The Silver Boulders. The band was created in preschool, but that is not all that happened! The band was going great, but when Nat Wolff had a crush on Rosalina, the rest of the band, besides Alex Wolff and Cooper, make fun of him for it. They make fun of him because whenever she is near, he gets shy so he speaks in an English accent. Eventually, Nat writes a song about Rosalina, which is called "Rosalina", but Joshua Kaye, Thomas Batuello, and David Levi refuse because they don't like girls and they are embarresed. Eventually, over a period of time, Joshua Kaye, Thomas Batuello, and David Levi decide to leave The Silver Boulders, and make their own band, called "The Gold Boulders", and come up with a new hit song "Splishy Splashy Soap Bubbles", which got them alot of fans. When Nat and Alex are left alone, without a band, Rosalina feels bad, so she joins the band, and Nat and Alex's old friend, Cole, bumps into them, and Nat asks him to be in the band, and he says yes! After that, they came up with the new band name "The Naked Brothers Band", and decided to do a concert, but guess who was having a concert at the same place, THE GOLD BOULDERS!!! But The Gold Boulders offended everyone with their song "Boys Rule, Girls Drool", and get booted off the stage, but when The Naked Brothers Band perform, thet are very successful, and play the song "Rosalina" for the first time and but Joshua Kaye, Thomas Batuello, and David Levi realize that it's an awsome song, so they wanted to be in The Naked Brothers Band, and they rejoin, and in celebration of how the band came together, they performed their hit song "Crazy Car" on the rooftop, just Like The Beatles did.