The Nanny

The Finale (2)

Aired Wednesday 8:30 PM May 12, 1999 on CBS

• What a season finale should be.

Though I didn't grow up with The Nanny, I managed to catch it on TV a few times and bought some of the DVD's immediately after. Everything about the show was hilarious and well-played, so I was very impressed to see it end on such a high note.

The first thing I must commend the writers for with regard to this final episode is that they covered all the bases. The show ended on the premise of a new beginning, and I was perfectly fine with that. When they left off the characters had fully developed into believable people in a realistic situation. I appreciated the comedy of Niles and CC, as well as the ties that kept them together, I was hoping they would take the two out with their usual bang, and I was pleasantly surprised at where their characters ended up. However, I find that their relationship is the only thing I feel the need to nit-pick about. The marriage and pregnancy came very fast, in a fashion that didn't really seem to suit them, so I was on the fence about it. It sits a little better with me to know that through it all they've kept their personalities in check. I think Fran's ending was especially true to her character, especially given the reminiscence of her leaving Brighton and Maggie at the airport to start their new life, followed by looking back on everything as she begins the next part of her life. I was pleased with everything, really. I could go on and on, love the show and the chemistry of the actors / actresses.