A The Neighbors Community
ABC (ended 2014)
I love science, to know why things are the way they are, love to laugh, love to think outside of the box and see beautiful things. That’s why I like comedies, Star Wars with Princess Leia and Christina Ochoa. I’m not sure everyone knows her but she is a scientist and promotes science in any way she can.

In my home country The Netherlands I often watch Comedy Central for my comedies. To be honest, usually just to make me smile or laugh at the end of the evening. There is one new show I picked up this year and that was The Neighbors (still confused as I learned to write is as ‘neighbours’). I’m not really sure in what order they air, but this Christmas we got last years US Christmas episode. The US is one season ahead and last week they had their season 2 Christmas episode.

Let’s take one step back and talk a little bit about The Neighbors as not everyone may be familiar with this series. The community has too few members.

The series revolves around a family (Marty Weaver, his wife Debbie and kids Abby, Amber and Max) that has relocated to a gated townhouse community. Upon their arrival, they discover that the entire community is populated by residents from another planet. They have been stuck on Earth for 10 years, still awaiting instructions to return home. In their attempt to fit in a bit, they’ve taken on the names of sports celebrities (the leader is called Larry Bird, his wife Jackie Joyner-Kersee and his kids Dick Butkus and Reggie Jackson), patrol the community in golf carts and receive nourishment through their eyes and mind by reading books rather than eating. The family of the leader of the aliens and the human family become friends and the series revolves around their interaction. A big part of the humour of course is to give us a reflection of human society seen through the eyes of the aliens as they do not understand each others actions.

This show supplies me with a bit a sci-fi, aliens, humour and as said, reflection. Enough to keep me at least smiling and watching when it is on. For some reason (not to be disclosed here) I came upon last weeks Christmas episode and it even gave me more.

In this episode (alien) Larry reads the wishlist of the human kids and he reacts that they ask for a lot. Debbie then learns him something every negotiator should know and strangely it’s the same I told my son last week: “See, they like to shock us with things they know they can't get, this way, the rest of the list seems reasonable. It's actually kind of brilliant”. Amber wants a car, Abby a (My Little Pony like) horse and Max, the ten year old son, a princess Leia doll. Later that week, Debbie inadvertently ruins Larry's surprise Christmas gift for his son Dick he had been working on for four months (an ant farm). Marty, trying to be the modern father, buys his son a box full of princess dolls, saying when Max unpacks his gift: “I understand you want to break out of the traditional male-oriented toys and broaden your horizons”. Max replies: “I was saying I wanted a princess Leia...In a gold bikini, because she's hot”

At that moment (alien) Larry enters the room and in a kind of revenge has gone over the top with gifts for the Weaver kids. Amber gets a Prius, Abby a My Little Pony like horse and Max gets his princess Leia. See for yourself

Video on this page, just slide down a bit on the page.

Princess Leia is played by the as beautiful as brilliant scientist Christina Ochoa who makes science so much more pleasurable for us. So comedy, sci-fi, princess Leia and Christina Ochao together. Sometimes it’s not bad to be called a nerd.

PS Regrettably the kids of course have to return their gifts, although Max gets to walk around with Leia for some time.
19 Comments
Follow this Show
Members