The New Adventures of Old Christine

Burning Down the House (1)

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Mar 17, 2008 on CBS

5.7
  • Reefer Madness

I have to admit, I stayed away from this show at first because alumnui of the Seinfeld show didn't have a good track record post-Seinfeld. This show however is very funny.

In this episode, CHristine and Barb find a joint (or a roach really) in the Lost and Found box and decide to take it home and get high with it. Hijinks ensue when it's not even enough for one toke and Christine goes on the hunt for "grass". The stereotypes of stoners and getting high are very funny in here with the use of old stoner lingo. Everyone asumes Matthew is the "user". Richard gets some laughs at the absurdity of it and for an old-timer like me this brought back memories of being a teenager. To agree with a nother reviewer, why doesn't anyone here like this show. This episode was laugh out loud. Perhaps someone who rates it low could contribute a review and we could get some insight on this. For me, this has been added to my list. This episode is funny, the show is funny, the characters have great chemistry, Monday night is set.
  • Once again, I have to say - who are the people who are not liking/loving this show? I wish they would come forward with their reasoning. This was another great episode of this very well-written show. 'Maryjane' is the guest star on this one, and...

Marijuana has not been the topic of a mainstream sitcom in quite some time. Christine and Barb come across a 'roach' in the lost and found box and it becomes a will-they/won't- they situation as Christine struggles with her inability to follow through on anything she starts (Barb doesn't seem to have any such 'struggles' in this case).

The girls plan a 'pot party' and slowly but surely, Matthew, Richard and the guy that Christine went out with but can't remember his name (Tom - played by former Kid in the Hall, Dave Foley) all get involved to one degree or another.

Everybody turns to Matthew for his 'expertise and stash', but he is a declared non-user - to everyone's surprise. One of the main strings throughout this show is Christine's hysterical use of 70's drug lingo that she has picked up over the years from watching reruns of Starsky and Hutch, etc.

As usual, Matthew and Barb have numerous great lines, and Christine and Tom resolve some old issues that may hint to her next relationship (I guess if Dave Foley passes some muster that the producers and network have pre-determined). All things considered, another great episode of this underrated show that continues to draw well on a very competitive Monday night schedule.
  • Christine and Barb discover a small stash of marijuana and after it goes out, Christine is determined to get high, leading to spending time with Tom who she barely remembers. Barb and Matthew spend time alone.

Although this episode wasn't the best for me, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and yet again reached high caliber for the season. After this episode I'm praying that they do something with Matthew and Barb because I don't want to see another one-night stand where it's never dealt with or addressed again - it'd be nice to see some character development.

It was great to see Dave Foley back - he is hilarious, as is his character. Although we were all wishing Christine would get high, we still got a kiss and a fine ending leaving us want to see more. All in all another excellent installment of 'The New Adventures of Old Christine'
LIFE