The New Adventures of Superman

CBS (ended 1969)

maritimer00

The New Adventures of Superman Fan Reviews (3)

7.2
  • Does not hold a candle to the Fleisher animation some 25 years before. Cheap and repetitious animation and background music.

4.8
    I was 12 when this show came out. For some reason, reruns of the George Reeves series had not been run by any station in my city. I had only seen it when visiting family out of town. I was very glad that this animated series was coming out. Soon the hollow plots got old, though. Several of the shows involved an encounter with Kryptonite, then some way of Superman finding lead to shield himself from it. There were numerous contradictions with the comic book mythos of the day. The most blatant example I remember is when Superman was being drained of his energy by some man who had been exposed to radioctivity and become addicted to energy. Superman finally just latched onto the guy who soon realized he was overloading and he just disintegrated because, as Supes stated afterward, an earth man's body cannot contain the strength of a Kryptonian. Every comic reader of the Silver Age knew that Superman would not kill anybody. There was another of these set at a circus, same as one of the Fleisher cartoons. When I saw the latter years later, I could not believe that anybody made something 25 years later that was so grossly inferior to Fleisher.

However, since this did have the return of Bud Collier and Jane Alexander to the voice parts of Superman and Lois, it does make a historical mark.
  • Important piece of Supes history

If you didn't grow up watching this show you're bound to find it inadequate. I was school-age, and despite Filmation's limited techniques and reliance on stock, this was the first new Superman show since George Reeves (hence the title) and I loved it. Still do. Sitting through some episodes is a bit of a trial for these adult eyes, but then that's true of most cartoons of the era. What remains, and what appeals most, is the thrill of distilled memory: opening credits, links, heroic music cues, the growling, authoritative delivery of Bud Collyer, and exploits perfectly in synch with the wondrous, silly Silver Age comics. Quite a few deliciously spooky stories, in the same way that "Lost In Space" was frequently spooky and again, you maybe had to be there. Call me a nostalgic old fool (no don't - I\'m not all that old) but this remains too important a piece of Supes history to be summarily dismissed. Favorite episode: "The Force Phantom".
  • The second (I think) animated version of Superman. These were really great stories with great classic animation skills.

This show I believe was the second animated version of Superman. Superman was the greatest (in my opinion) animated super hero series. With the posible exception of the Green Lantern, who could posibly take Superman in a fight to the death? I can not think of anyone including bad guys. If you can think of any send me a (Friendly) PM. I don't want to get into an argument, please just state you opinion in a nice manor. I love the story behind it with Superman coming from another planet (Krypton) as a baby and all the knowledge that is passed on from his now dead parents. Also, the fact that his dad knew he would have super human powers and made sure his son knew how to use the powers for good and to protect human kind. i also loved the fortress of solitude. I'm not sure if it was used in this version or not. This was (is) a great show and i would love to see it back on the air.