The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

How Much Is That Rabbit In The Window?

Aired Saturday 6:00 AM Oct 15, 1988 on ABC

• The worst episode of the first season.

How much is that Rabbit in the window is easily the worst of the early New Adventures episodes. In it Rabbit mistakenly thinks the gang has forgotten his birthday. He runs off only to get picked up my an old junk dealer, who places him in a pawn shop.

In this pawn shop Rabbit meets three stuffed animals that resemble Tigger, Piglet, and Pooh but are bizarre, freakish versions. They proceed to terrorize Rabbit in order to steal a special price tag the pawn shop owner has put on Rabbit. This section simply does not work. I'm not sure what effect they were going for, but the results are bizarre and irritating more than anything else.

At the end of the episode, Christopher Robin has to beg the pawn shop owner to get Rabbit back. I'm not sure what the moral is supposed to be, but the pawn store owner refuses to give Christopher Robin Rabbit until he offers him his "love". Never mind that the pawn store owner has taken Christopher Robin's property and is attempting to sell it back to him.

There's a huge continuity error with Rabbit's calendar too. Pooh pulls off about 20 days worth of numbers to reach Rabbit's birthday, but a week later it is Rabbit's birthday. Christopher Robin comments that Rabbit calendar is off by a week when, given what we saw Pooh do, it should be off by about 3 weeks.

It's a sloppy episode all the way around.