The New Detectives

Daily 2:00 PM on Discovery Channel Premiered Oct 01, 1996 In Season

marvelfan89

The New Detectives Fan Reviews (6)

7.9
  • How the New Detectives saved a teen mother from a possible death sentence

Years ago, I watched an episode involving The State of Missouri vs Patricia Stallings. Mrs. Stallings was accused of killing her child by feeding him antifreeze, was found guilty, and sentenced to life. However she was pregnant again at the time of her sentencing. The child was handed to the state & the father allowed supervised visits. Mrs. Stallings never even touched her child. A few years went by and this child started to exhibit the same symptoms as the child who had died. This time the child was taken to a more sophisticated hospital which diagnosed the child not with antifreeze poisoning but with a genetic disease called methylmalonic acidemia, a genetic disease which, if not diagnosed promptly, can lead to death.

Fast forward to the late '90's, early 2000's. I was watching the news one evening and to my horror, heard of the arrest of a teenage mother for poisoning her child with antifreeze. I called my younger daughter and between us we found the case and particulars. Jessica called the news and they were less than interested. I however, called the police hotline. It helped a lot to first let the policewoman who answered that I am an RN with a BSN and that the case that would help them was the one stated above. I told her that the child MUST be tested for the methylmalonic acidemia before the mother was brought to trial. I explained everything I have written above and because I am a nurse, I was listened to. I also stated that the doctor involved should not be faulted for not knowing about the genetic disease because I would never have known about it except for the New Detectives. I was thanked for calling. And there was never another word on the news or in the newspaper. If that poor girl had been guilty, her trial would have been all over the news. I was very disappointed that there wasn't even a "the facts of the case were re-examined and no evidence of a crime found so the case was closed. But if I had not seen that episode of The New Detectives, she might have received the death penalty in my state.
  • The New Detectives is a forensic crime show in the tradition of Forensic Files

Great crime show on forensics. Basically in the same vein of the Forensic Files with differences though. It's an hour show, the cases are a bit more varied with everything from poisoning to sexual sadism, identity theft and much more.

If I remember correctly it ran on Court TV, then turned True Tv now it's on Investigation Discovery five days a week.

It's a great show. A couple of cases are high profiled cases and others are cases you never heard about, but every episode is intense, and is informative, and entertaining.

The recreations are very decent. Sometimes they use no name actors and other times they use the detectives and people connected with cases. For a very low budget show they do manage to bring this show to a high quality. It's ten year run proves that.
  • The New Detectives is one of my absolute favorite programs. It is informative and amazing to see the role forensics has in solving crimes. Keep up the great work!

The New Dectives has been a wonderful addition to programming. The cases and police work are amazing. I look forward to each and every episode. I hope for more programs like this. I would very much like to see new episodes. The writing and programming is handled very well. These programs are very informative and at the same time quite interesting. It provides a different prospective on the work of law enforcement. I find the program entertaining as it keeps your interest and you want to see the outcome of each and every case. Please keep this excellent show on the air!
  • This series was one of the first to take a serious look at forensic science. Each episode follows a theme such as poisonings, arguments turned homicidal, or murders designed to look like accidents or suicide. The science used to solve cases is amazing!

I've been a fan since the series began, and find I cannot be bothered with series like the CSI franchise, because I not only know the science better than that series (though I hear they don't do a bad job), but because I find the science itself far more interesting a storyline than any of the schlock that Hollywood can dream up--truth is not only stranger than fiction, but far more interesting! If I were to go back to school and train for a new career, I'd look into forensic sciences because of the interest this program has engendered. The most amazing episodes I've seen involved a case that hinged on finding the DNA from a tree, which proved that a killer's truck must have been under the same tree where a body was found: the truck had contained a leaf which the man had not swept out when he cleaned up following the murder. The other case involved striations from a screwdriver end matching up with marks on a small part of the engine of a car which was used by the victim of a crime. How amazing it is that cases are solved in many cases by the hard work of scientists who look at the tiniest clues to help detectives see the big picture. I can't find this program often enough, and look forward to finding episodes I haven't seen yet.
  • Detectives solving crimes using technology and forensics

The New Detectives is one of my personal favorites because the show displays great emotion and the detectives abilities to solve perplexing and complex crimes with only little evidence amd no suspects. Some of the cases involved are highly emotional and very disturbing because it has actually happened before and can easily happen again. Child abduction and the murders of children are the episodes that are really emotional to watch. What is so great about this show is that it shows how the people who work in forensics use their technology to link a fingerprint to the suspect, or identifying dna so that detectives can finally make the arrest that they have been waiting for. This show is filled with the science of forensics and the technology used to put away suspects that have commited grisly and horrifying crimes.
  • Another great discovery Channel show which goes behind the scenes of detective work.

If New Detectives is a show that you do not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to wish you had it on tape. Having it "on tape" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD's "records" or "albums." Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you. A great TV watch.