The New Normal Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

All gay cliches in one show!

LeoRydellJos

[1]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 1

Full of stereotypes: the super homo the manly homo the homophobic, the understanding kid...

The only ones that are worth something are Nene Leakes, basically because she is Nene Leakes, and Ellen Barkin (Ryan Murphy just thought that if he used again an old school legend it would had been as successful as with Jessica Lange in American Horror Story).

And about it being gay-themed show, I will only say that it wasn't necessary. It feels like a gay show for straight people.

I hope it gets better...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BigRed2012

[2]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 1

One of the many things that tick me off about this show is the cutsie homage to Murphy's show, Glee. It's just another clunkie theme running through this already clunkie show. The show wastes Ellen Barkin by placing her in ridiculous bigoted positions that are simply rehashings of Archie Bunker's characterin the 70s show "All in the Family". I'm just about the same age as Barkin's character and believe me, I don't share a single one of her antiquated views.

djboy77

[3]Mar 5, 2013
    • level: 7

BigRed2012 wrote:
    One of the many things that tick me off about this show is the cutsie homage to Murphy's show, Glee. It's just another clunkie theme running through this already clunkie show. The show wastes Ellen Barkin by placing her in ridiculous bigoted positions that are simply rehashings of Archie Bunker's characterin the 70s show "All in the Family". I'm just about the same age as Barkin's character and believe me, I don't share a single one of her antiquated views.

The show is based on Murphy's own life. Hence the Glee homage. Why should he mangle it into "my life... if I was a lawyer with a unisex bathroom" or "my life.... if I was a penniless pool cleaner"? Why not "my life.... if I was creator and producer of a TV musical.... which I am"?

Even if you don't share her views, others do. Even beyond them, more extreme than anything that character has ever said, and they genuinely believe it. And Murphy clearly intends to address them by including them. Without her, the right-wing hate-mongers can just ignore it as anti-puppies, anti-sunshine, the downfall of society and brainwashing indoctrination of some evil plot. Without ever having watched it. Because they're all sinning, fornicating sodomites and single mothers conceiving a poor child through unnatural and unspeakable means, solely to corrupt the helpless baby and throw it into their stew of evil, mwahahaha, while forcing others to do the same. But their views are represented in there to an extent and put out there for others to think about and be ready to counter. And with a little luck, at least one of the little bible-bashing cretins might watch long enough to open their tiny minds a little instead of wailing about someone please think of the children.