The New Normal

The XY Factor

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Nov 27, 2012 on NBC

7.2
  • Great Episode with Bad Parts

I loved the gays' plot! It was really well written and it was a really good idea! This plot reminded me why I watch this show.

The other plot, meanwhile, reminded me why I worry about this show. It also reminded me that Goldie wanted to be a lawyer. And now she abandons it.
  • Disappointing

Trust me, I LOVE the New Normal, but this episode was just off. I don't mind when stereotypes are utilized, but usually they have a purpose in developing the characters or adding to the comedic appeal. Nothing was really funny about this episode and its use of stereotypes flattened the characters overall. I would not recommend this one to new viewers of the show as they may be turned off, even when other episodes are actually magnificent.
  • The best episode so far

I think people really need to give this show another try. Yes, it has its weak episodes but this one really stands out. We can finally see the characters farther from their stereotypes and start to show some depth, especially with Bryan. I thought this episode could just be about a silly gender war where the guys get into a fight on how to decorate the baby's room but when Ryan told his speech about being unable to relate with his dad and his fear about it happening again with the kid was really touching. Also, the ending where Goldie finds out what to do with her life was unexpected and I really loved it, much better from what it seemed she was being driven to. A lot of character development in this episode and can't wait to see what's going to happen next. Again, Nana's absence is truly appreciated.