The New Scooby-Doo Movies

The Exterminator

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Oct 06, 1973 on CBS

• interesting... Scooby and the gang stumble upon Don Adams, now the head of The Adams Exterminator company. They teem up to exterminate a weird old ramshakle on Horror Hill, the home of the old horror film-star, Lorne Chumley.

7.8
    This episode has some very good spots.. The idea of the storyline is interesting, also, one can encounter various witty quotes and remarks among Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby. The humorous relationship between Velma and the others reaches its peak on their way to the creepy mansion, when Velma tells a spooky story about a horror-movie where the main heros were in the similar situation as they were at the time. The delivery of the epitasis seems to be captivatingly spooky, well done. I also liked the combination of so-called "villains": Otto, an eerie-looking, guileful butler and of course Lorne Chumley - the retired horror star. Next I just gotta mention the fantastic Ted Nicolas' background music, that just forays into the mind of a spectator and adds something magical to Scooby Doo! Fantastic!

Another good thing is the fact, that the episode didn't have a classical villain-unmasking solution, but they dealt more complicated conflict, which kind of left a more mind-boggling crape or aura for the part of the plot concernig horror and mystery... In addition, I loved the aspect of "nothing to fear but the fear itself", which was brought up very nicely... Anyway, about some negative points..

The animation could have been better, closer to the original Scooby-Doo Where Are You... And also, I was a little dissapointed about the happenings in the house: maybe they should have been a little bit more spooky.. Although there were some good aspects (the ghostly exterminator that vanishes etc), still, you seem to wait for something that would never happen..

In addition, the episode lacs a little bit of atmosphere: no mysterious outdoor nature sounds on the way to the house and etc. And finally,my individual history of that episode is maybe a little bit interesting.. As almost every episode from The New Scooby Doo Movies, that too, was something very rare to come by in the television of Estonia during the mid-nineties.. And it was always a huge joy to see them.. Anyway, about this particular episode, I remember watching it years ago, during a creepy storm, which cut off the electricity. I remember, that my TV shut down exactly, vhen Otto gave a somewhat fateful macrology about Shaggy and Scooby being missing: " I told them not to get separated, now it may be too late" AND BOMB! the power went of..OUCH! I was furious for a minute or two! The most exciting moment, and something like this happens!
    Also, earlier that day, I had been at the graveyard visiting the grave of my relative.. So it was a ghostly Scooby-Day as well..

I saw that episode years later, on Cartoon-Network and of course, that brought back some memories..