A The Newsroom Community
HBO (ended 2014)

Aaron Sorkin says he'd like to apologize to people who may have misinterpreted his intentions with his HBO series The Newsroom.

"I think you and I got off on the wrong foot with The Newsroom and I apologize and I'd like to start over," Sorkin told the audience at a Tribeca Film Festival event Monday, referencing the criticism over his choice to set the show in the recent past. "I think that there's been a terrible misunderstanding. ... I wasn't trying to and I'm not capable of teaching a professional journalist a lesson. That wasn't my intent and it's never my intent to teach you a lesson or try to persuade you or anything."

The cable news drama, which stars Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer as the anchor and producer of a nightly newscast, often depicts media coverage of real events, including the killing of Osama Bin Laden and the 2012 presidential election.

Added the West Wing creator: "I like writing romantically and idealistically. I try to balance that with just enough realism so that it feels like whatever romantic ideal is in there is somewhat attainable."

The Newsroom's upcoming third season will be its last, and Sorkin teased at Monday's event that one episode will chronicle the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

"I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it," he said of the show. "I've very proud of The Newsroom. ... But there is a learning curve and unfortunately, those lessons are learned in front of several million people. ... I'm feeling really good about how the third season is going. I'll look back on it fondly and proudly, and wish I could get every scene of every episode back so that I could do it all over again."

Listen to Sorkin's full interview here:

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/14/2014

Season 3 : Episode 6

74 Comments
Comments (74)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I just found the Newsroom dvd's at the library and hunger for more.
I'm sad to see that it won't be available past the third season.
I wish thre was some way to see more. I wish it wasn't fiction. Would love a news program that did what the Newsroom does. I wish there was some way to see more. Netflix are you listening?
Flag
vmvcccj
Flag
I completely disagree. The show and both its seasons were remarkable, genius and it managed to set a high standard for other dramas. Sorkin should NOT be apologizing!
Flag
Thanks for the apologies, season 1 was so cringing I had to stop watching ! You can do so much better than this.
Flag
TV is an absolute joke right now. There is literally nothing worth watching other than The Newsroom and I can't stand that it's being taken from us this early. Such a disgrace that it can't live on somewhere else or get marketed to more people.
Flag
Who the heck is he apologising to?? This show is remarkable, it IS how news should be presented and he's not the first to say it, won't be the last, but he made the statement into entertainment (edutainment even?) so the message will get to more people and that's not a bad thing. There ARE things that happen in our world, our country, our city, that go unreported because of fluff and rubbish.

This show has great characters, a rip-roaring pace, and every episode can be and probably should be watched at least twice over so all the dialogue can be absorbed. It's enthralling, it's exciting and brilliant.

Please don't aplogise, Sorkin, please be as proud as we are grateful!
Flag
Odd how one of the best TV shows to ever grace a screen has a creator who doesn't realize how awesome his work is and how he doesn't need to change a damn thing.
More seasons would be appreaciated and I will miss this show.
Flag
If HBO doesn’t want it then continue it on Netflix. I would pay subscription to Netflix just to see The Newsroom continue.
Flag
why will it be its last, i mean come on, its one of the BEST series out there. Im very sad
Flag
Aaron, you have nothing to apologise for! If the press felt they were getting a dressing down, maybe that's because it is deserved and they know it! We've had 20+ years of network and cable pandering to the Neo-Con Idiocracy. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin, Ron Paul, Cruz, etc. have been pushing their anti-Democracy agenda with outrageous, unfounded and unsupported distortions of real events to the point where huge numbers of Americans believe Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 despite the fact that Bin Laden despised him and there were NO Iraqies amongst the terrorists! 15 of them were Saudis but how many people know that now?
The Network was superb from the get-go. Who knew Jeff Daniels could act let alone muster enough energy to play McAvoy? Came as a surprise to me. I only watched the first episode to see Sam Waterston but the full cast were so good and the writing so brilliant that I was hooked. Daniels has proven himself as an actor with real presence and intensity. Emily Mortimer tears up the screen and leaves the Limbaughs of the world in the dust. Jane Fonda, playing against type, is sterling! Great cast, brilliant scripts, AND as a bonus, setting the historical record straight with ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF WHAT WAS SAID AND BY WHOM, WHEN IT WAS SAID, AND HOW IT WAS MIS-REPRESENTED BY THE NEO-CONS. This is what journalism is supposed to do.
Don't dumb it down, Aaron. Don't appease the Idiocracy. They won't give you credit for it and they won't stop dissing everything you do. Write what you believe to be right, Aaron. Thank you for doing so on The West Wing and on Season 1 of The Network. (I haven't seen Season 2 yet because the DVDs are not available yet where I live but will order them as soon as they become so.
More+
Flag
Phew, that was long. But, I agree.

Season two will blow your mind. Get ready!!
Flag
Maybe it is because I don´t live in the USA that I don´t get how TV can become such a serious thing. I mean, It Is Only TV! It´s not real.
I like a lot The Newsroom, which gave me a chance to see how much work it is done behind the scenes and how editing the news require just to show few minutes live on the screen. Sorry if I seem naive. Though I do agree with everyone meaning season 1 was much better than season 2.
Flag
If any of you (this may explain things) had ever been married, you'd spot this as a classic passive-aggressive non-apology.

My translation: "I'm sorry that all those once-idealistic, young j-schoolers who grew up to be today's media critics can't stop interpreting this show as an 'I told you so' and just enjoy the fucking storytelling. And hey, remember how all those folks in sports and politics got over it when I mocked soccer or faked an occasional African nation? Wasn't that pretty great?"

Sigh. "Grow balls"... really? Gosh, we anonymous internet commenters, we really put ourselves out there. Too bad that doesn't win one an Oscar or an Emmy.
Flag
Dear Mr. Sorkin: no do-overs.

Grow some balls.
Flag
That's too bad, just about every show he's done that wasn't the West Wing would benefit from another chance. I would voodoo sacrifice one of the many seasons of West Wing to breathe new life into Sports Night, Studio 60, or even yes, Newsroom.
Flag
The title is NOT representative of what Aaron Sorkin actually said.

Pure sensationalism, and some below are clearly taking in by it.

I would have expected better from TV.com. This is trashy reporting.
Flag
Dear Mr. Sorkin,
Stop being such a fucking pussy. It's only the internet.
xoxox,
Burg
Flag
Nothing to apologise for, the show is brilliant, absolutely loved it from the opening second of episode 1 of the 1st season to the closing second of the last episodes of season 2, extremely sad that it'll end after season 3, writing is witty, sharp, interesting, great acting, interesting take on aspects of real news/politics.
Flag
Um this article's title is seriously misleading. He's not apologising for the show, he's apologising that people didn't get it. That's really an insult pretending to be an apology. I do wish he'd stop all this placating and just make the damn show, it gets tedious after a while.
Flag
Don't see why he's apologising... the most ardent criticisms are for him trumpeting his beliefs. Sure, he tries to play it through a "unbiased, balanced and how a real newsroom should be" that is nowhere close to unbiased or balanced... but if you knew Sorkin, you knew what kind of ideology would be trumpeted as right and true. Don't apologise for the beliefs...

I don't even agree with this man most of the time, and the few times I do I still find his pretentious self righteous mental masturbation to be very frustrating and off putting. But it's his show and his ideas... I will do what I did after season 1: not watch it. Of course, the misogyny everywhere and two dimensional and flat idiocy of some characters was quite bad... it was clear somethings were not well researched and just relied on half baked understandings of stereotypes. That was admittedly bad writing...
Flag
Am I the only one unclear as to what exactly he's aplolgizing for?
Flag
There are a lot of people who are butthurt, because of the political views that are represented in the show. Probably apologises to them, but why I don't know...
He apologises for a well written show while, for instance, there are people who are responsible for the ending of Dexter and say nothing. Now, those people should apologies, not him.
Flag
I find this insulting as someone who has enjoyed the show all along. granted the real events deal made me uncomfortable when it dealt with tragedy, but the election and the like felt like a strong jab at "politics as usual".
Flag
I personally did not care much for the show. It was a bit preachy and judgmental at times, but I can live with that. My main beef with the show was it was just "meh" in terms of excitement and I really didn't care for most of the characters. The only character I liked, was Olivia Munn's supergenius/wierdo news anchor.

I'm not trying to bash the show, it wasn't bad in terms of quality, it just wasn't good enough as most other primetime shows are nowadays. Sort of like a Frank Donavon or The Bridge.
Flag
I don't mean this in a judgemental way, but more of a curiosity...what shows do you enjoy watching then? Because from what I can tell, cable and network tv are in the gutter right now for quality and The Newsroom was the only thing holding their head above water.
Flag
See, the thing I like about it most is the fact that it's preach and judgmental. Because come on, the news media in general sells out on a daily basis in a dozen different ways. The show has some good ideas, and Jeff Daniels' big "speech" (rant) at the beginning of the first episode really does throw into perspective a lot of what's wrong with the country.

That being said, I doubt a TV drama is going to have any effect on the country at large. But the idealism portrayed in the show really strikes a chord with me.
Flag
Shame on you, Sorkin. Never heard about the courage of your convictions?

Grow a pair, bro.
Flag
Don't really know how to respond to this. He's free to say what he wants but I'm not sure why he should apologize for expressing his views on his own show. It's not like he insisted anyone watch it. I think the mistake people make with the newsroom is they assume it should be objective because it centres around a news corporation. But it's almost solely written by one person, and of course he has his opinions, so if he's a political person it's going to end up appearing very skewed.
I don't know, whatever. I'm just happy there's another season to watch. I really liked season 1 but unlike most people I didn't think season 2 was an improvement. It was almost boring, and in my opinion, even more preachy. And if I had to hear them refer to Maggie going to Uganda one more time as 'what happened in Africa' I would have exploded. We have 54 independent countries here people.
Flag
Uganda is on the African continent, if I'm not mistaken. If you fly to Cleveland, OH for instance, would you say you're going to Cleveland, OH, or Ohio, or would you say you're going to the US? There are 50 different states here people (and some of them seem like foreign countries even to us...)!
Flag
I am going to the USA. I am travelling to South America... I am having a stop over in Africa, etc.. it is common to use these expressions.
Flag
Exactly. Now, if they kept saying Maggie went to Nigeria, when she actually went to Uganda, that I could see being upset with. They're DIFFERENT countries. However, Africa is a continent, which Uganda is a part of.
Flag
I understand where both of you are coming from (I get that people say stuff like 'visiting Europe'), but I'm not sure you really know the problem you're talking about. I don't mean to be a SJW here or anything, but trust me, this is something done derogatorily ALL THE TIME in the western media when talking about African countries. Here are a few gems I found with a simple google search of recaps of season 2: "Maggie, How long did it take you to straighten out after Africa?" "The Newsroom's Africa plot" "The Newsroom goes to Africa" "Maggie's African Adventure" "The African tragedy Maggie faced"...It goes on and on. Instead of attempting to be even a bit specific, the continent is constantly referred to as this unitary, bleak chunk of poverty/disease/war/free ranging savannah animals. I have lived in Nigeria, Zimbabwe and Sierra Leone all my life and it is very annoying to people from African countries when we see all those save the poor starving children in Africa ads on American TV. I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked if I speak African or Nigerian (we have more than 500 languages here alone). Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. To name just a few shows that have made that annoying generalization I can think of in the last couple of months: Girls, The Newsroom and Awkward, not to mention that awful looking Adam Sandler movie, Blended.
I'm not even sure how to explain why it's offensive, because it's not easy to understand it from our perspective (I mean, a lot of African countries do suffer from human rights violations and food shortages). I know this is kind of difficult to comprehend from the point of view of people from other places, and most of the time people mean well when they say this stuff, but it's something I (and many other people) take quite seriously. I hope eventually people can understand why.
More +
Flag
When Americans/ people from the USA travel to one or two countries in Europe, don´t they say "I am going to Europe"?
(I don´t live in the USA)
Flag
The Media absolutely need to be criticized, though. The Media's the mirror with which we view ourselves as a culture; as a society. It's unfortunate that so many underestimate its impact.
Flag
Mayhaps he's coming out with a reality show and wants to court the morons in the viewing audience. Yeah, that's it. Or a revamp of S*#& My Dad Says.

What a maroon.
Flag
Thumbs up for using mayhaps.
Flag
I like Sorkin and his idealism. We all know that most real news broadcasting in America is a soulless numbers game, which panders to the prejudices of viewers so they'll keep watching and buying the products, just like we know real politics bears a closer resemblance to House of Cards or The Thick Of It than The West Wing. With The Newsroom, he's basically banging the same drum as Jon Stewart, Dan Carlin et al, only in his own uniquely Sorkinesque voice. I watch his stuff with a mixture or enjoyment and a deep underlying depression at the knowledge that the system is a leviathan which invariably beats any genuine enthusiasm and desire for reform out it of those who become a part of it. Not that I'm bitter, or cynical, or anything like that...
Flag
Not that I'm bitter, or cynical, or anything like that.............Yeah, me neither.
Flag
He has nothing to apologize for. This show is great.
Flag
You'd think he'd know that. Sheesh. I wonder why he's pandering to the lowest common denominator?
Flag
Isn't this show supposed to be some idealized version of what news coverage should be? More focused on facts, digging into the truth, and calling out politicians / pundits, and so forth, for their hypocrisy? Is this not why it's set in the past so as to take these stories and cover them in a way they should / could have been in the first place by our real media? That's how I see it anyway.

Flag
I was hoping he was going to apologize for his 'Two Years into the Past' motif. It might not be an issue for someone who didn't follow most of the politics the first time around, but most of it really, really isn't any more pleasant the second time.
Flag
"But there is a learning curve and unfortunately, those lessons are learned in front of several million people"

I guess I've never bought this argument from writers/producers, who are paid millions of dollars for their experience and expertise.

It's the same reason nobody seems to buy the argument that, say, Joss Whedon had to take some time to develop Agents of Shield. It's, what his third, fourth TV series in the genre?

I'll buy that argument from a first- or second-time series creator. Or even someone who is expanding into an entirely different genre. If Sorkin was making a fantasy show, fair enough. But is Sorkin really at a point where he has to have a pretty good basis of experience for creating shows that revolve around the behind-the-scenes at a TV show,
Flag
Thing is he used a similar excuse\apology for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, he said something along the line of that he understood why the show was cancelled because he'd made so many mistakes in the first half of the season the audience had disappeared and weren't there when he started to get it right. Now if as was widely reported, Studio 60 was partly autobiographical and Sorkin couldn't write it properly.

The AoS analogy doesn't really hold up, it might not be Joss' first rodeo but it's Jed & Mrs Jed that's have the reins of this particular bronco.
Flag
If Joss Whedon chooses to have his name on AOS, and he's getting paid because he has his name on AOS, I consider him responsible for it. If he defers that responsibility to someone else, that's his problem.
Flag
Yeah, beacuse the likes of J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Steven Spielberg etc are completely responsible for everything that's happen in every project that's had thier name attached.
Flag
Or at least, co-responsible.
Flag
What's crazy is that Studio 60 had an absolutely amazing pilot and then got steadily worse and worse as the season went on. Not sure what he thought he was starting to get right about that.
Flag
From what I remember Sorkin knew the show was being cancelled before it finished filming so it gave him a chance to give it a proper ending instead of it coming to a screeching halt
Flag
Would anybody buy it if Stephen King released a new horror novel, and the first few chapters sucked. And he said, "Oops, sorry, had to learn some lessons about how to write. It'll get better."
Flag
Funny, that reminds me of how unsatisfying I found The Dark Tower series. And then King announced that he would be rewriting all of the books.
Flag
He already rewrote The Gunslinger, didn't he?

But yeah, I don't see anybody who was unhappy with The Dark Tower buying King's excuses. So why buy Sorkin's?
Flag
Great show, will miss it a lot!
Flag
This is ridiculous. Some folks take their TV way too seriously and I've seen pure ass brilliance criticized too many times. With The Newsroom, you either love it or hate it--personally it entertains me a great deal. Bloggers must blog, and, of course you can fault with almost any fiction if you pick hard enough. The biggest crock I've ever heard is the one that says, "This was a really important film, or book, or even TV show." They're all important in my mind, because they entertain, if done well, or sometimes even if they're not done well. Take this weeks Castle episode, It was so terribly contrived and lame, and yet it worked on some level and entertained, as the actors tried their best to make this nonsense seem real. And them being gay at the end was really really bad, but it sort of made sense. So don't apologize for giving it your best and coming up short. If everyone gave up when they bombed, what a lonely world it would be.
Flag
I enjoy the Newsroom with the one exception that I find the political leanings pretty obvious despite the candy coated Republican Daniels plays. It isn't surprising to me that the show would be left leaning. However, what I find insulting is the way they tried to sell Daniels character as a conservative only to have him attack what should be his own beliefs on every episode. It would be akin to a "liberal" character who is anti-abortion, anti-birth control, pro-war, and anti-welfare; but still call him a liberal. I like the show, just don't treat the audience like we're idiots if you can't bear to have an actual conservative character on the show, Sorkin.
Flag
I doubt you could find a single moment in the show where he explicitly denounces his own Republican beliefs.
Flag
It is a great show and will be sorely missed.
Flag
He apologized because...? I don´t get it.
Flag
Neither do I. Must be an ulterior motive here. Free PR for..........................??????
Flag
Viewers and critics bloggers rip him a new one almost every episode for one reason or another. Be it for his obvious political leanings, to misinterpreting it as saying that all news rooms are like this and this virtuous, etc.

People I've talked to in real life have flipped out over the most minor stuff and ignored the 5 minutes prior that lead up to the scene / statement and justified it.

Flag
And why does he care? Writers ALWAYS project somehow they personal believes in their shows/movies.. and Sorkin at least show the world how journalists SHOULD behave (I´m journalist and I´m sad that in reality it´s all very different)
Flag
Haha i loved how you crossed out critics, critics tend to piss me off by over-rating a lot of stuff, but most critics tend to love The Newsroom, and rightly so, it's usually the idiot viewers that whine about Sorkin preaching and saying the show was not good to begin with *ahem* TV.com's Tim Surette *ahem* I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves it.
Flag
He's a class act then . Plenty of us would react like "f**k you , it's just a fiction , and of course my personal beliefs will permeate it . If it can't in a fiction , where will it ever be ok ? " ... and rightfully so
Flag
Really like this show, Jeff Daniels is very good and funny. The conversations are really good. Sad that season 3 will be the last.
Flag
Aaron Sorkin will never have to apologise to me for nothing, he is a genius, and The Newsroom is one of the best shows on TV and i will miss it so much when it ends this year. The criticism the show gets is ridiculous. It's a TV show, It's entertainment, Game Of Thrones gets less criticism and that has scenes of incest, torture and rape. Such a strange world we live in when all people can do is complain. It has captivating characters, incredible acting, genius dialogue and it is very funny.
Flag
He is a hack rather than a genius, and a pompous one at that.
Flag
Explain
Flag
Also I've just looked at your favorites on this site, The Americans is good, never heard of Newsreaders and finally Don't Trust The B? ha really? the only good thing about that show was James Van Der Beek, it was not funny and the worst episode of The West Wing, Studio 60, The Newsroom and Sports Night is better than that show in it's entirety.
Flag
Hack? I'd like to see you write something as good as The West Wing or Sports Night. He's a very opinionated guy who uses his writing as a medium, what's so bad about that? at least he's made amazing accomplishments in his life! WTF have you done? you douche.
Flag
Haha. That was a truly emotional response. Well I subscribe to Hitchcock's aphorism "If you need to send a message, go to the Western Union". I can't take anyone seriously who uses a TV series as his own soapbox.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I just don't understand why an apology is needed, I liked the first two seasons as they were.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm