A The Newsroom Community
HBO (ended 2014)

So I don't know if you noticed but The Newsroom really decided to change up their credits this year, I mean they're REALLY different. They must have copped a lot of flack over the original ones to make this kind of adjustment. Clearly they decided the original ones looked old-fashioned because the new ones are oh-so sleek with subtle sleights of hand.

I think most people had gripes on some level with the original credits, particularly all the old news footage that was used. Personally I liked that stuff and how it established a narrative and tone of aspiring to the tradition established by the greats. It was the other half I didn't like, the characters rushing around, captured in 'acting' moments. I'm getting to the point where I'm sensitised to photo rollcall credits and they have to be done very well with subtlety or I hate them. This didn't do it for me. So overall I think the whole sequence could have used a polish and the second half badly needed revamping. I thought the music was terrific, though.

So what about these new credits. Well as I said they're sleek and very professionally done but I think they're also a bit generic. There isn't the narrative drive or the strong distinctive style here like the original version. Gone also is any tie in to the show's idealistic saving the world theme. Plus I'm not a fan of how they pared back the music, one of the strengths of the original.

So after all that I'm struggling to decide which I like better. The original had highs and lows, which actually mirrors the show itself. Sorkin is sorta swinging for the fences here , sometimes failing, sometimes succeeding wonderfully, so it was appropriate that the original credits functioned similarly. However revisiting them here I found they weren't quite as good as I remembered. This has to be balanced against the sleek, intimate, yet slightly generic replacements.

It's tough but I think my vote goes to the original credits because they're more Sorkinesque.

What do you think?

Poll: Which Credits for The Newsroom are Better?

30 Comments
Comments (23)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The new ones are awful. The music sounds like you are hearing it through a propeller.
Flag
I'm generally a big fan of openings, but I honestly don't care for either of these two. They're both as self indulgent as the show is at it's worst, without any of the shows redeeming qualities.
Flag
For me, I like them differently. In a way, they reflect the contrast between the two seasons - we'll see if that holds true if there's a third season. The main story arc in season one was transforming the news into the best of old school reporting and the best of current practices. As such the West Wing-style opening with pictures of the greats in TV journalism were wholly appropriate. This season's arc is set in the real world - the reporters and executives dealing with mistakes and the effects of on-the-ground reporting all while scrabbling to hold onto the vision of what could be. An updated theme seems proper; The jazz-influenced opening that segues into a quiet strings version of last year's epic theme feels right.
Flag
I like the music from the first season better as well.
Flag
While the credits in the first season reminded me of Star Trek Enterprise, the new ones have this The Office vibe.
Flag
No. I loved the original, even though it was long.
Flag
I see you've put a lot of thought into this and that's good. The best opening credits on TV are for the unworthy Hawaii Five-Oh, and they're better than the show itself. Dexter has a great one too and I'm glad they stayed with it for 8 years. As for the Newsroom, both are fine and I don't fast-forward through them, like I do with the not-so-great Homeland opening credits. So, I have no specific preference...
Flag
I prefer the credits from season 1, season 2 just comes off kind of pretentious to me.. however I also think premium cable shows have unnecessarily long opening credits and only do it just to do it because they have a longer time to work with for the episodes themselves, when really they could be 30 seconds, or even shorter.
Flag
Basic cable has them, too. Check out King and Maxwell.
Flag
I can't believe they ruined one of the greatest show opens in broadcasting history. It was moving, elegant, weighty. It made the show seem important. It would almost move to me to tears because it reminded me of the trust we used to have in Cronkite, Jennings, and the others who helped us through the darkest moments in history. Now? It's like ER circa 1990. Oooooo! ECU eyeball! How do they do that???? C'mon. This smells like one too many layers of middle management trying to fix something that wasn't broken. How could you? Ratings problems? Perhaps there were bigger problems that the "open". I just hope I can find a nice clean copy of Season One's open so I can play it to myself to dull the pain of sitting through this one. There's an editor somewhere hitting his head against the wall. I feel your pain.
Flag
Here you go: http://www.televisiontunes.com/Newsroom_(The).html
Flag
The season 1 opening music and visuals were amazing! It made me feel the nostalgia of news of the past, when it wasn't just entertainment or ratings! A time when reporters searched for the truth. This is what I love about this show, isn't that the premise of the show?!
Flag
The opening credits for season one were by biggest complaint about the show, they were so boring and hard to watch. Unfortunately season 2's credits are just as bad. Come on opening credit scenes are almost always memorable and well done on cable shows it can't be that hard for the newsroom to get it right...
Flag
The first season title sequence and music made each episode feel like a movie, and it was awesome!
Flag
The title sequence shows, season 1 was more about the news, but season 2 is more about the people behind the news. Just the ideological change Newsroom needed for a better season.
Flag
The tune is beautiful and I wish they hadn't quietened it down in the new sequence. Still, at least they didn't do a "Human Target" with it so I can't grumble too much.

I'm not that fussed about either set of visuals really.
Flag
Human Target's were great for what it was and wouldn't be for this, so yeah...
Flag
They've done the, "Let's jazz it along" for the second run and ballsed it up. Similarly, the title sequence was historic in bent and appropriate. Now it's gone all artsy with shots; making it feel cluttered, disjointed and more like some abstract office with staff who watch tv instead of make it.
Flag
I don't know about 'Sorkinesque', but I think I'm kind of in the same boat as you (and as tnetennba below) in that I MUCH prefered the music of the first season.

As for the visuals, I'm fine with both. It doesn't matter all that much to me whether the picture is of a cast member or a place in a newsroom workplace.

So for the music alone, I voted for season one.
Flag
The 2nd season credits left no impression. The 1st season credits left a bad impression. So, season 2 by all of the points.
Flag
I like the season 1 music better. I haven't given any thought to what images I like better.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members