A The Newsroom Community
HBO (ended 2014)

Aaron Sorkin built his reputation on the pages of his screenplays and famously a bit conceited, so it's no surprise that the first teaser for the third and final season of HBO's The Newsroom, which Sorkin created and executive produces, focuses on words on a page. I'll refrain from describing the specifics because you should just watch the video on your own:

The 40-second clip features a photocopier printing out the pages of what we should assume are scripts from the series' final season, with Jeff Daniel's Will McAvoy instructed to say things like, "How do you think they're gonna get the whistleblower?" and the bombshell, "Well... I think it's time for me to quit." followed by "FADE TO BLACK." OOOOH! How intriguing.

Is this an ad for a TV show or Xerox? What a waste of paper.

The third and final season of The Newsroom will air this November on HBO.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/14/2014

Season 3 : Episode 6

26 Comments
Comments (26)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Staff

I love making fun of Sorkin. Some classic gems in there.
Flag
I thought it was good.
Flag
Maybe I am the one biased in favor of Sorkin or maybe TV.Com staff is biased against him, but either way, I will be watching in November. The only thing we can agree on is that the teaser does not tease at all.

Flag
No offense, I love the TV.com staff -- all of them.

But a few of them seem to be a bit harsh on Newsroom; to an insane scale.

Hell, Under the Dome is treated better. At least with UtD the reviewers acknowledge that while it's insane, silly, and not greatly written they have fun with the reviews and accept that people like it for what it is.

With Newsroom, it's just pure hating all the time.
Flag
I'm just going to say "Good job, Tim" on the off chance that he gives me money for not bashing this article.

Good job, Tim.
Flag
I find you pretty harsh here Tim, without any cause...not any I can see at least.
Flag
'What a waste of paper'
Well, alrighty then.....
Flag
I see a lot of hate for Tim here people. Is it justified (pun not intended)? Let's see.

In my very honest, and not insignificant (even if I do say so myself) opinion, Aaron Sorkin has scripted in his carreer some of the best and most compelling television. One may call it arrogant, conceited, pretentious but he has consistently infused his stories with timely and interesting political/social commentary. I would say that his heroes inhabit that place where their personal lives as human beings intersect with society and politics at large, consistently trying to define what it means to be a private person in society and politics.

I like that. I find it interesting and it provides material for some very good storytelling, at least in the right hands. In the end, I believe Sorkin has been trying to do what his alter ego, Will McAvoy, has as a mission statement: to educate people, to raise the barr, to pose the right questions.

Is that arrogant? Of course. Is it wrong? I don't see why. If nothing else, I appreciate it when TV makers don't try to lower the, so called, common denominator just to appeal to more viewers.

As for the teaser, I agree with Tim. I wouldn't call it pretentious (now, Tim, tell us exactly how you feel, don't hold anything back...), but putting the screenplay, i.e. your words right front and centre, instead of the protagonists or the story, is a bit arrogant.

But I don't mind. I am really looking forward to the (unfortunately) last season of The Newsroom, and there is no amount of negative reviews that will keep me away from anything Sorking will do in the future.

Thank you for your post, Tim.
More+
Flag
This article should have been called "Read the Pretentious First review on anything related to Newsroom's final season by Tim Surette.
Flag
This is getting ridiculous. I don't know what problem Tim has with Aaron Sorkin, but he should keep it to his blog and TV.com should stop publishing shit like this.
Flag
I love this show and can't wait for its return, but I never watch trailers or teasers.
Flag
Jeez Tim wash that sand from your Vagina
Flag
I think Aaron Sorkin kicked Tim's dog or something.
Flag
I would watch The Newsroom even if the entire hour is spent watching script pages flip.
Flag
I was in no way, how you say, teased...
Flag
I think that the idea of the teaser is not bad, but to make it about a script, instead of lines of dialogue from the season, was not the right way to go with it.

I have not seen this show, but from the feedback I've heard, people fight with every episode they have to watch.
Flag
I don't give a crap if it's pretentious.
Flag
Encryption keys, whistleblowing hmm guess were going to get a version of the Bradley Manning story this season.
Flag
Why did YOU have to post this news article?! Tim Surette should not post anything to do with The Newsroom on this site cause he clearly hates it and what Aaron Sorkin stands for or tries to accomplish.
It's better than the majority of TV these days, it's an exceptional drama, with exceptional acting so get off your high horse and go and make more crappy jokes about Under The Dome, and review lesser shows that don't deserve the merit like Person Of Interest which is a run of the mill type CBS show.

DOUCHE
Flag
You had me until you called Person of Interest a run of the mill show. It's actually better than The Newsroom, which I also like very much. But hey, it's your opinion, so I can dig it.
Flag
I watched the first few episodes of POI when season 1 aired and it felt like another procedural from CBS, I do intend to give it another try because i've heard it has gotten a lot better but i cannot see how a show on CBS (Which produce the same old shit with way too many episodes a season) can be better than a HBO show that has been created and written by one of the best writers in TV & Film
We are all entitled to our own opinion, and i commend you on sticking up for POI but as good as that show could be, my opinion will never change cause of my love for The Newsroom.
I LOVE all of Sorkin's shows, and having one on HBO seems like a perfect fit

Flag
I like The Newsroom, but I like POI a lot more. And I'm not at all a fan of procedurals.
Flag
It's definitely worth watching POI all the way until the end of season 1. If you still don't like it, then it's probably not worth continuing. The first half of the season (about until CBS picked it up) is very much a standard procedural, but then it becomes a lot more and largely stays that way.
It's hard to compare it to The Newsroom, but I'd say that what makes Sorkin's shows great is the dialogue, whereas what I really like about POI is the overarching stories.
Flag
@Muderboy: If you like Sorkin, you will love Studio 60!
Flag
I love Sorkin too, and I have all of his shows. I love to rewatch Sports Night and I'm currently on season 5 of The West Wing (first time through). Then we will rewatch Studio 60. As for POI, it's just one of those shows that knows what it's doing, along with The Good Wife. Oh, and Ray Donovan--Showtime--not that great. The Leftovers--HBO--not so great either. True Blood, nah. So it's not always the source you should look at.
Flag
Breathe, Frost...breathe...

The Newsroom is amazing and nothing will stop me from loving every single witty second. SORKIN!!!!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members