A The Newsroom Community
HBO (ended 2014)

So much for Will McAvoy's America. Just like its buddy the printed-on-dead-trees newspaper, HBO's The Newsroom is dying. HBO announced today that it has renewed the Aaron Sorkin drama for a third season, and then put a damper on the celebration by also saying that Season 3 will be the series' last. Production on the final season will begin this spring. 

I don't know if HBO has a specific reason for canceling the show, but The Newsroom has to be considered a disappointment given all the excitement surrounding the network's initial announcement of the series. The ratings have been marginal, hovering around two million, but HBO generally places more weight on branding and stature and a show's ability to entice new subscribers rather than viewers. And that's probably where The Newsroom wrote its walking papers. Despite having the red-hot fresh-off-The-Social-Network Aaron Sorkin as its creator, The Newsroom struggled creatively in its first season and became the butt of many jokes (yet was still talked about come awards time). Improvement in the second season came too late, and now many people seem to be done with the show. 

Renewing and canceling shows seems to be a thing in 2014 for HBO. The network will have a fresh look in 2015, as The Newsroom won't be its only drama to say goodbye this year: Last week HBO announced that Boardwalk Empire will air its final season this fall.

Did you stick with The Newsroom through Season 2? Will you be tuning in for Season 3?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/14/2014

Season 3 : Episode 6

139 Comments
Comments (139)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm a little late on commenting, I wish it would do some good, but pretty sure it won't.

For the first time in I don't know how long, that any of the Cable/Satellite Companies came up with a "Real" ADULT show, that didn't have vulgar language or subject matter. The idea of being based on real events made it even more interesting. As many have commented, we (Yes, WE, my husband actually got hooked on and enjoyed a series) enjoyed how easy it was to make a connection with the characters, as if we actually knew them.

HBO are such losers for not seeing the potential, and if it failed on ratings, it was their fault for not promoting it as they should of.

To the Writers and especially to the Actors of Newsroom, I say Bravo! Bravo! for your accomplishment, professionalism and true perfection in delivering one of the best hours of our week.

BOO HISS to HBO for failing to see the importance of this show, NEWS WEEK
Flag
The Newsroom was an amazing show.
Flag
The Newsroom was one of my favorite shows. It was well written, great acting, fantastic cast,, and a feeling that you knew these people. I am deeply saddened it has ended. I just finished the last show and I was in tears. How can such a great show get canceled yet stupid, idiotic shows like Two Broke Girls still be on the air?
Flag
I canceled all of my HBO subscriptions because of this cancellation. No need to keep the pricey HBO channels and subscriptions around when they cut a show we clearly love and need. People need to see exactly what this show depicts. Bad move HBO, very bad move. One day you will regret this decision. I hope another network deems it as important enough to pick back up, legally of course.
Flag
Now that the Newsroom is over, I'll be cancelling my HBO subscription. There's nothing else that I watch on their network.
Flag
I've only started watching the show recently and found it to be smart funny and engaging. Where most shows today are based on unrealistic storybook fantasy, this one is close to life!
HBO KEEP the show!
Flag
This show should NOT be cancelled !
Flag
Been reading a lot of posts about the ending of Newsroom since the finale last Sunday night. Raves from viewers loving the show have outnumbered anything like criticism (except from review columns) about 200 to 1 ... and the people liking it are pissed enough at HBO to cancel their subscriptions.
Flag
HBO must be mad to get rid of this show. Brilliant
Flag
This is a great show and put a different spin on many of the major events that has happened these past few years. I wish they would somehow bring it back.

Flag
I am amazed by the fact that this show was cancelled and that it had such poor ratings ... I love the show and felt that it was one of the most relevant series that I have watch in years ... it seems that if a show causes people to think and ask question it get cancelled and yet so many brain rot shows continue to be aired ...
Flag
WOW! Soooo sorry to hear this is cancelling as it is one of the best shows on tv...I'm not sure what drives these things but they keep crap like "the bachelor, the bachelorette, Kardasians et al....and then they CANCEL the only intelligent show on tv??? Call me seriously stupid but I don't get it!
Flag
I have a feeling the Koch brothers are behind the end of the Newsroom! What a shame as it was one of the finest shows on TV, the whole reason I even had HBO. Well I guess I can save that money now.
Flag
I am SO disappointed & irritated that The Newsrooms was canceled. Such smart writing, great perspectives on Current political events are no where else on TV. And this cast is/was Amazing!

Feeling bad for Jeff Daniels and the rest of the cast. They did a magnificent job and should have gone on for many more seasons. I wish HBO & Mr. Working could have come to a compromise to continue. There are soooooo many shows on TV right now that are ridiculous in so many ways and should be canceled while they are canceling one of the smartest, most informative, best acted ones there is.

Disappointed does not not even begin to describe how I feel about this. :(
Flag
Newsroom has some of the best writing on television...I don't understand why an intellectual show has to be cancelled. Everyone is watching this show!!! HBO has robbed us of one of the best shows ever...Shame on you and shame on Aaron Sorkin for not working together to make this happen...So disappointed!!
Flag
WHY????
My daughter introduced me to the News Room and in one weekend, I was anxiously awaiting the return of the new season. I've sat on pins and needles as HBO is winding down what's left of The News Room. Over the years theirs been few and far between that I've been impressed by on HBO, but you've captured my families attention and heart. Our eyes are widen too the things that go on in the world around us and what we're privileged to know as others things of importance we're not privileged to know! As we gasped for air after watching the episode of "Shenandoah"..... we cried! We'll miss the entire crew.

Signed.....
You will always have a fan!
Flag
TheNewsroom, like The West Wing, was some of the best programming on any network. Not only did I record every episode, I purchased the DVD, so that my family could witness the best of the best in TV broadcasting.

I could not agree more with XanderBekkett. HBO has done a real disservice to its viewers.
Flag
Honesty and accuracy in news can only be found in TV shows like The Daily Show with John Stewart, Real Time with Bill Maher, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.......and The Newsroom, a superbly written, directed, acted and cast TV show that was honest, informative, truthful, challenging AND entertaining, all at the same time
HBO has done a grave disservice to every last intelligent person in America AND the rest of the world who insist that SOMEONE shine a light on the lies and corruption in American politics and the weak cowardly coverage presented by either polarized, or "neutral" news "entertainment" shows that have become more “silly tabloid” in content than a credible, informative and trustworthy source.
SHAME on you HBO......you caved and your cowardice will certainly contribute to the continued decline of a once great nation.
The Newsroom could have helped to stem the decent into intellectual oblivion Americans find themselves hopelessly caught up in.
History will not treat HBO's misguided decision to cancel The Newsroom with affection OR respect.

Flag
I almost subscribed to HBO, but when I found out they were canceling The Newsroom, I changed my mind.
Flag
Apparently HBO hired those responsible for declining the use of M&M's in E.T.
There couldn't be anyone else with such a lack of intelligence and foresight.
Even worse - they probably vote!
Flag
The Newsroom Season 3 is now being aired in the UK (12th November 2014). Gonna miss the team when this season finishes! Am totally disgusted that the show has been cancelled as it's a well written, well acted, intellectual, sharp, fast - all the ingredients of what tv shows should be but instead we end up with reality / talent / celebrity / dumb tv which we sit and waste endless hours watching with no real engagement or interest, it's merely background noise and yet these are the shows that continue year after year .... Thanks HBO for putting profits before the sanity of TV viewers everywhere!!!...
Flag
I'm stunned that HBO has canceled The Newsroom. This show is timely, smartly written & directed & has a superb cast. I actually subscribed to HBO specifically to see The Newsroom; so, after Season 3, I'll be canceling my subscription. This show needed time to develop the multiple plot lines & the imagined reactions to real news (e.g., Fukushima, the Presidential campaign & getting bin Laden). The bin Laden show is one of my favorites, with Will brownied to the eyeballs… I'll never forget the remote control sailing over Will's shoulder & over the balcony! Also, I've been a rape counselor for years, so I appreciated the episode where Will shows his Nina Howard exactly how much defense a gun is when you're untrained & unsuspecting.
The Newsroom sparked so many debates & discussions with my family & friends. It's a series I will really miss. The characters were people I cared about. Will & Emily, Jim & Maggie - will these relationships really work out? Does Neal Sampat get a segment on Will's fictitious broadcast about Bigfoot? How does Sloan Sabbith develop & will she get more airtime on Will's show?
The cast is superb, especially Sam Waterston, Jeff Daniels & Jane Fonda (channeling Ted Turner).
Losing my little subscription won't bother HBO at all, but The Newsroom had 2M loyal viewers that HBO should care about. Goodbye, Newsroom, you'll be missed.
Piss off, HBO, I won't miss you at all.
More+
Flag
This truly disappointing. Such exquisite writing and acting. Why do shows that force viewers to think of the real issues impacting society do not find a place. Are we truly only satisfied with reality shows. This is a great show and shame on hbo for canceling
Flag
I'm really disappointed, too. HBO is behaving like regular network television, not like the premium channel I'd come to count on for thought-provoking stories & plot lines. Take away a show about serious issues & give us more Game of Thrones? Playing to the lowest common denominator is like FoxNews - bad fiction delivered by bad actors.
HBO, are you really playing to the Reader's Digest demographic formula??
Flag
Such a disappointment. The Newsroom is one of the only intellectual shows on television. It's cancelation reflects the state of intrest of the populace in what is going on in the world, our country, and their own ommunity. Very very disappointing.
Flag
HBO is acting like scared broadcast networks. Newsroom was great TV and it would have built a larger audience if season three was great. Still it is cowardly move, Newsroom is one of the top 5 shows on any channel.
Flag
I just completed the first two seasons and of course I love the show, so it makes sense that the show would be cancelled. If season 3 doesn't occur I will at least have the satisfaction of all the sexual tension being neatly tied in a bow at the conclusion of season two. Here's hoping for season 3.
Flag
My disappointment grows larger each time an intelligent, smartly acted program gets the ax; and, in turn, heads me further along towards canceling my cable all together. Who is responsible for this wicked decision?
Flag
Yes, The Newsroom is a brilliant show. It calls out the every US media outlet. However, after so many episodes, the audience sort of has an idea of what will happen. There were side plots involved, but the main theme was covered in the first episode: US media is terrible; ACN is going to report harsh truth; the end. With news shows like Colbert Report, The Daily Show with John Stewart, Real Time with Bill Maher, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and any other comedy "news" show, The Newsroom can only succeed if the actual reported story in each episode is up-to-date and not several months... even up to and over a year old. That would mean recording every episode within 1-2 weeks prior to air date. It's possible, but HBO already axed the series....
Flag
this is the best thing on TV - who are the fools at HBO who are making these decisions?
Flag
Fools, indeed!! It's a shortsighted decision not to give The Newsroom time to be more fully developed.
Flag
This is my favorite HBO series. Do not cancel, or else!
Flag
At the end of Season 3, I'll cance my HBO subscription. The only reason I got HBO was to follow The Newsroom!
Flag
I heard it was cancelled then back on - so, which is it? I miss my 'Newsroom'.
Flag
to me, season 2 was a dissapointment. it felt like it wasnt even written by the same people who wrote the first season.
Flag
I disagree, but I would. In my view, even a bad episode of The Newsroom is better than anything else on TV.
Flag
I really have to agree with this. Season 1 was edgy and went against and even exposed the flaws in the entire 'mainstream media' narrative. Season 2 looked like it was given an order to fall in line and it turned into a canned drama that did little to put the screws to our shitty news in the US. I thought the rant against Ron Paul in Season 2 was almost exactly against the vibe of Season 1.
Flag
Has a date been set for the start of Season 3?
Flag
completely brilliant show.....Murdoch is buying HBO's parent company...so if it didn't go down before, it certainly will now....such a shame
Flag
Is this, or is this not to continue? I can't believe that an intelligent network such as HBO would consider canceling a show that is quick-minded and as thoughtful as The Newsroom. C'mon, HBO, this is one of the only reasons I keep HBO. God knows we pay so much for cable networks. The dumbing down of America has enough shows to fill its air time; we need real shows and I know HBO can do it.
Flag
Only way I can get The Newsroom Season 2 and looks like Season 3 will be through HBO GO which kind of sucks. I would rather be able to download a season through iTunes and not have to worry about whether my local cable tv service has HBO GO or not.
Flag
As a serious fan from aus sick to death of sensationalist and tabloid journalism l have to say the newsroom has been incredibly refreshing. I am so disappointed is not being considered beyond series 3. C'mon hbo - your audience is beyond the US - the world expects more from you than conservative America dictates!! Bugger the tea party!!
Flag
Sorry: Correction: THE NEWSROOM for my comments below.
Flag
I wonder what would happen if someone such as George Clooney were to throw his considerable clout behind "The Network"? He gave us "Good Night and Good Luck" about the Murrow/McCarthy battle for the airwaves so we know he has more than a passing interest in the quality of tv news and public affairs broadcasting. This is the perfect vehicle for him to invest in. Maybe even guest on the show or better yet be a recurring character. When you want something done, ask a woman. The women viewers would get behind Clooney to keep The Network on the air.
Flag
i LOVED newsroom, just as i love anything sorkin does, but let's face it - after closing the romantic circles so neatly in s2, what can 3 b but a descent into the soap-like infighting that was important but not enough to hold us in a truly sorkiny manner (look what happened when in the west wing, the josh-donna thing got resolved). on the other hand, yes, clooney would be great if he began to make an appearance as the ghost of fred friendly, seen only by mcavoy descending into bealean madness...
Flag
I can't afford HBO but i buy all the DVDs! this is bull. maybe netflix will keep this shit alive
Flag
What??? This show is SO GOOD!!! I guess the elites in charge of the media don't like that it's actually informing people.
Flag
I enjoy the Newsroom, I was thrilled to hear HBO renewed it, and now I am reading this will be the last season, Really!!! Why do the cancel the good shows, and keep the reality crap on TV. The only reason I subscribe to HBO was because of The Newsroom, I guess I will be cancelling my subscription when the Newsroom ends.
Flag
I live in Tanzania, where we never get live TV. I have to wait until it airs somewhere, and trust me I have watched and rewatched all the episodes. I am devastated with HBOs decision and hope they rethink this one. C'mon!
Flag
This is just so sad.. To know that the probably greatest show is being cancelled. There are two shows on this planet I get excited about and actually care about. The game of thrones and The Newsroom. It just proves the dumbing down of this country, when a well made and informative show is cut off while a stupid show about the life of an obese, obnoxious and just stupid family is fought for and hyped throughout the country.. Just sad... What happened?
Flag
I'm beginning to think this planet is completely bereft of sentient intelligence.
So many shows that should be regarded as masterpieces are cancelled due to lack of interest.

The newsroom, firefly, terminator: the Sarah Connor chronicles...shit, the list goes on and on and on again.
What's next?
Game of thrones??!

Perhaps a better way to describe it is by saying this:
"The world is retarded!"

Seriously.
Flag
I've started the petition "HBO: Bring Back HBO Original Series 'The Newsroom'" and need your help to get it off the ground.

Will you take 30 seconds to sign it right now? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/hbo-bring-back-hbo-original-series-the-newsroom
Flag
I've started the petition "HBO: Bring Back HBO Original Series 'The Newsroom'" and need your help to get it off the ground.

Will you take 30 seconds to sign it right now? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/hbo-bring-back-hbo-original-series-the-newsroom
Flag
yes, we will be watching season 3. we love this show. how sad and disappointing that HBO is cancelling The Newsroom.
Flag
no way.. its one of the few shows I watch.. why do the really good ones just get canceled..
Flag
I know exactly how you feel. Sooo frustrating.
Flag
Very disappointed to hear they're canceling such a great show! I saw both series one and two within a week! Really fun show, not based on simple intrigues. Crossing my fingers for there to be many seasons to come =)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members