A The Newsroom Community
HBO (ended 2014)

The Newsroom S02E09: "Election Night Part II"

Ah kisses, that immortal expression of love. Known throughout humankind as intimacy distilled to one soft gesture. In the right context, delivered by the right people, kisses make the heart soar. Otherwise it’s just lips touching. A sugar rush without the nutrition. There’s got to be a good story behind the action, some sweet fuel for the wordless passion. Tonight’s Season 2 finale offered two momentous kisses: one a surprise and the other an affirmation. Combined with the other victories of "Election Night Part II," these feel-good smooches helped set the tone for an agreeable exit, even if one act of affection was more effective than the other.           

Yes, I’m talking about Sloan kissing Don and Will kissing Mac. The former was the response to a truly caring move on Don’s part, who bid on the book without any hope of reward. He just did it out of the goodness of his own heart. So for things to align for him in the form of a steamy declarative statement from a person who herself had been getting the short end of the coverage stick felt like the kind of wholesome television catharsis Aaron Sorkin is able to excel at. As entertainment, it worked.    

Will, however, used Mac’s apology as an opportunity to explain the true story behind the engagement ring of Season 1’s "Bullies," hurting her feelings in such a way that it was hard to believe she’d ever forgive him, much less marry the guy. I get human folly, or the idea of putting your foot in your mouth, or that telling Mac something devastating kind of made them even in hurting one another, but at some point Will has to stop savoring his victim status and just forgive Mac for something she did six years ago. That’s a long damn time. And if won't, Mac has to recognize that he's terrible.

So yeah, their particular kiss didn’t hit for me, even though it followed a text-book charming proposal, all bumbling apology, and a promise to love forever. Will McAvoy is fragile, and it’s understandable he’d have a hard time navigating matters of the heart, but he’s also a grown-ass man, and Will and Mac’s relationship isn’t a full-fledged romance. It’s come and gone to make room for Will’s self-image drama and various Genoa discoveries, so while I’m not going to say the two shouldn’t get married, my reaction to the decision was just indifferent. 

To be fair, Will did have his moments in this finale. Who can argue with the fun dynamic established between he and Taylor, and his Republican explanation made an articulate case for shifting perspectives within political affiliations. Whatever party you hail from, I'm not sure I agree with Charlie’s claims last week that our elections are the envy of the world, but the event at least created an interesting upstairs-downstairs situation within ACN. Jim finding Lisa didn’t need to happen (thanks for telling her she’s not stupid?), but there was some comedy mileage in the champagne-savvy assholes she had to serve at the party. Leona should obviously be stoned all the time, because she’s still pretty put-together when blazing, and just a real sauce-pot otherwise. Cool boss characters are the best, especially when they cap off a universally supportive team, as was the case with the "we ain't leaving" News Night crew.

So even though the Petraeus tip ended up not mattering, because ACN still had some integrity to prove, the information at least helped to further unify the team. Reese coming in at the end with his Rockette girlfriend to split hairs with Charlie about resignation was good times, even if it did gain a little momentum from the previous scene’s half-enjoyable proposal kiss. The final sequence continued this celebratory trajectory by wrapping up all the threads of the night, like each one was worth rooting for, but seriously, did anyone pump their fist when they saw that screen shot of "Benishek" or Maggie talking to Lisa in the hallway? Still though, glad to see everyone enjoying cigars and libations. 

And that was season 2 of HBO’s The Newsroom. Looking back, I definitely enjoyed the unraveling of Genoa as a structural spine for the whole nine episodes, and I became routinely perturbed with a lot of the smaller diversions away from that thread. Overall this season felt disjointed, and at times downright frustrating. In any case, it's not my place to tell you how to feel about a show, because we live in the 21st century, and liking stuff is your inalienable right.   

This is Ryan Sandoval, signing off.      

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS:

– Does cutting your own hair mean you're disturbed?

– Wasn't Mac's handling of that D.C. correspondent pretty awesome?

– Was Season 2 better than Season 1?

– What did you like the most about Season 2?

– What did you think of "Election Night Part II"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/14/2014

Season 3 : Episode 6

83 Comments
Comments (83)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I loved the Genoa story-arch, but I found myself constantly wishing for more of Will's amazing monologues or breaking cases. The intensity of season 1 just didn't follow through to this season. I actually found myself wishing that we could get back to the newsroom and away from the romances, which is extremely rare for me.

Oh, and in response to one of your follow-ups: drastically changing your hairstyle, especially by hacking it off and drastically changing the color, is a major red flag of depression and suicidal thoughts. That's why there was so much concern about it.
Flag
Ryan: Who can argue with the fun dynamic established between he and Taylor. No: he is still the object of between and should be him. If in doubt, remove Taylor and note - you would never say between he. . .
J. Wilson

Flag

I liked the Genoa story but somehow I found season 1 more exciting. Even this finale, I did not feel the urge to watch the show immediately. I only found some time just now. I have watched Breaking Bad, Dexter, Big brother, Boardwalk Empire, The Bridge and Sons of Anarchy all before this show even though finale is usually more exciting.
Flag
Hi Ryan, I think you did a really good job reviewing the whole season mostly because you allow readers to decide for themselves instead like some reviewers here who will keep bashing the show because they do not like it.
Flag
Really enjoyed season 2. The fake news story with the legal implications allowed them to create a sense of jeopardy. to drive the plotlines. Loved Marcia Gay Hardin all through this season. Don was douchey last season because of his jealousy over Maggie/Jim. They allowed him to be more than just he douchey guy in conflict with Jim and to develop the character into being a pretty good guy. Olivia Munn is terrifiic as Sloan and has had some great moments through the season. And I did like the feel factor of Don/Sloan, Will/Mac to finish out the season.
I think its cutting your hair in the bathroom when you are a salon type girlie is a cry for help - or an attempt at disguise as we know from many many movies...
Flag
I've been cutting my own hair for almost 30 years. It may be because I'm disturbed, but I think it is because it's easy, and I look good in a buzzcut.

No, season 1 was better than s2. That doesn't make S2 bad.

Sloan is awesome. She makes me wish I was Don, so I could help her feel good about herself.
Flag
Aaron Sorkin. What a gift to those of us who enjoy intelligent, humoristic, snappy and engaging television. I've recently been watching The West Wing, Sports Night, Studio 60 on Sunset Strip and A Few Good Men all over again, just to re-experience the quality drama this guy writes. May The Newsroom go on for several seasons, because there are indeed some of us who prefer top-notch writing and acting, and not so much Vampire Diaries or Jersey Shore...
Flag
Season 2 was great! Maybe that propposal was a little over the top but... GO THE NEWSROOM!
Flag

Just wanted to thank Ryan for doing such a great job reviewing every episode for us, I enjoyed them pretty much and i hope I'll see you again when Season 3 will air (hope pretty tiem soon :))
Flag
Did I totally miss it or wasn't will sort of dating the woman from the gossip scandals???
Flag
I've been struggling to comment on the Newsroom all season long. The reason for this is relatively simple. The character arcs were predictable but more importantly the show was far, far less risky than last season, and a lot more focused on season and character plots rather than socio-political scrutiny/criticism.

This for me, has made season 2 a distant cousin of season 1 in terms of quality.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still love this show. I love the characters, the setting the writing, the dialogue, most everything. The one other thing I loved and almost disappeared was the constant, and varied, scrutiny/criticism of how the media handles news, or the creation of "news" and other such things such as political behavior and so forth.

This show, one way or another, manages to get real life irony/metaphors mixed in it. Before it was the cavalcade that Will went through in season 1, going generally against the Tea Party, but most of all, against shallow journalism and shallow politics/politicians which really, was Aaron Sorkin himself that was going through this and making a stand for what he believes, and always has. I whole heartedly respect the man for having this attitude. This sadly... pretty much vanished this season. It's no surprise really, considering the gigantic amount of criticism that Sorkin got in the show reviews which were written by...wait for it... journalists - whom he was criticising all season long.

The irony/metaphor this season happened when Will is talking and going through the phase of fear of losing viewership. This, is precisely what I imagine that Sorkin went through himself, yet again. The struggle of maintaining Newsnight/Newsroom quality without compromising its principles in the face of constant criticism. In the end, the Genoa plot came along and so that part of the plot from the show faded away, but sadly the show's self qualities went down with it. Not because the show got worse per se, but because Sorkin decided to play it safe and tone down the criticism of media/politicians (again, ironically or metaphorically, is what Leona wanted from them for newsnight). For me, this is worse. I'm personally an idealistic, a dreamer, an arrogant who thinks this world's principles go down each and every day. So for me, having Sorkin attack this very lack of principles that is out there for everyone to see was pure delight. It made me feel right, and it made me have hope that more people out there do not want to conform with some of the bullshit that goes on today's politics and media, along with other things. I guess in real life you either have to budge or break. In the end he probably feels better that the reviews for this season are more positive, but I think deep down he knows it's because it was way safer. I cannot emphasize enough, I do not belong to the group that thinks this season was better.

Having said all of that, this season was still pretty good. I thought that the Genoa plot took way too long to get told, even if it was still enjoyable to watch, and that as I mentioned before, the character arcs were predictable. Pretty much everyone was rockbottom when this season started which meant that pretty much everyone was going to be on top when the season would end, and that's exactly what happened. What this means is that the show also lost the surprise factor it had when we didn't know which direction it would go. Having lost the sense of righteouness from before, the show had to have a main story for the season which as Genoa, but in turn it had to give in to the unpredictability of last season because it picked on important events and landmarks where either history was made, or very very bad journalism was performed.

All in all, Newsroom is still great, just not as amazing as I personally found it when it had... balls.

I can only hope Sorkin comes back around for a second wind of arrogance and criticism that I love to see, but even if not, I'll still be here next year to watch this show, which is one way or another great television.

Good reviews Ryan, but sadly if you'll allow me I think you're part of the group that prefers this show this season for obvious reasons. Either way, keep doing it next season.

*Smaller notes:

- I hope Neal gets better stories next season. The character and actor are great, he just needs deeper material.

- Can only assume that not all romance is going to work out next season, obvious drop outs will be Jim's new girlfriend and probably a turbulence in the Don/Sloane ship.

- Whatever happened to the blonde journalist Will was dating?

- As terrific as Jane Fonda is as doing whatever, I'd rather she was against Charlie than for him/them. It's just wayyyy spicier to watch.
More+
Flag
I really like the show and hope to continue watching it for a few more seasons. That being said I do think focusing the whole season on one central event seems like a mistake to me. With all the crazy stuff in the news in an election year surely they could have found some sort of political hot potato to become an issue rather than some fake war crime. Also I do not buy everyone flogging themselves to death over being mislead on a story by one of the production staff who created the story, and falsified the information. I would have understood the characters being upset somewhat but all this moaning lacking the publics trust seems way over the top.

I do like the development of Don and Sloan's relationship and feel that they click on screen together. Don was kind of a dick in season 1 but was a bit too good a character for me to completely write off and now the character has improved more as the series has progressed. The drama between Will and Mac was way too drawn out and I think several of their issues should have been addressed in season 1.
More+
Flag
I didn't like Don for a good while, certainly not when the whole Maggie saga was endlessly drifting on, but him and Sloan are TV gold. He just needs to not get sued for 20 mil and things will be greeeeeat :)
Flag
– What did you like the most about Season 2?

I'm torn between 1) the shift in perspective from my nearly least fav character (I really wasn't a fan of Lisa) Don the dickish insecure BF of S01 to Don the totally likable guy of S02 who is now one of my favorite characters, 2) Marcia Gay Harden who just killed it as NY corporate attorney Rebecca Halliday - I am now a committed fan, or 3) the change in the Lansing family from irritating to hilarious.
Flag
I agree with your hesitation towards Charlie's comments about the American elections being the envy of the entire world. They are however a somewhat entertaining spectacle. Its sort of the political equivalent of Transformers 1. Lacking in depth, overproduced, overfunded but somewhat entertaining.

Also agree with the thoughts on the two kisses but I did however like the season as a whole, although The Newsroom is still far behind Zorkin's other shows.
Flag
Mac has been begging Will to punish her for what she did for two seasons, so I think the hurtful wedding ring thing was what made the proposal and her accepting it possible. Without it, she'd spend their relationship constantly trying to make up to him what she'd done, which wouldn't work for long.
Flag
I liked it, but the season felt too short, and I feel like too much was left untouched.

What happened to the death threats against Will and Terry Crews as his bodyguard?

Where was Will dealing with his father's death? Surely a guy whose entire success and need to be loved was so tied to his abusive father would have more difficulty reacting to that death than what we saw.

And what really caused Maggie to cut her hair? I understand the little boy had never seen that color before and that's what caused it, but there had to have been a catalyst, because she had been back for quite a while before she made the cut, and you don't normally go nearly a year remembering the boy who died in your arms saying that to doing something about it. It would've made more sense if that had been her reaction shortly after getting back, but not close to a year later. There had to have been another catalyst in her life to drive her to that kind of breakdown. And yes, that kind of cutting = disturbed.

I loved the season, and the finale though the bits with Jim and Maggie, both separately and together, were (as usual) the weakest links. I loved Sloan's face when she told Will she was insulted he assumed she wouldn't follow him out the door. I love that she and Don finally made some headway. I even loved the bumbling proposal and kiss, because after 6 years of knowing each other and ultimately loving each other, even if you weren't actually together, you don't necessarily need to ease back into things. I loved Reese doing the admirable thing and wanting to make sure history showed he did the admirable thing.

I hope that, if season 3 really does happen, Taylor becomes a regular, or at least stays a recurring, and gets a show of her own on ACN or something, because she definitely was one of the highlights of the season.
More+
Flag
I love this episode and the season. The episode seemed more like a series finale, it wrapped up pretty much all of the storylines and had no major cliffhanger. I love that Will and Mac finally got over their past, and I think Don and Sloan are an awesome couple. Maggie definently has some issues and cutting her own hair is for sure a red flag. Assuming the official renewal happens, I will be curious to see what they do next season, since this season was so different than season 1.
Flag
Season 2 was much better than Season 1.
Flag
love this show I hope it gets reniewed
Flag
Already is !!!!!
Flag
I thought it was a big improvement over season 1. They spent more time on the stories - Jim on the bus, Genoa, Occupy Wall Street etc - while developing the characters.

My favorite part of the episode was Sloan constantly being cut off.
Flag
Sloan and Don are easily the most compelling characters right now, and the move they took was subtle and just right.

I'm sorry, everything to do with Mac and Will seemed forced, as ever.
Flag
Agreed on Sloan and Don

Mac and Will... meh didn't seem that forced. It just finally clicked that she did everything right... except for that thing she did wrong. She was a solid girlfriend, always supported him, always there for him, and even did the right thing about coming forward. He needed the analogy of their current situation to accept that.
  • Mac - There have been tons of scenes showing that she still loves him.
  • Will - there have been tons of scenes of other characters pointing out that he still likes her and that they're made for eachother: Will's current / previous girlfriend, Sloan, Charlie, Will's therapist, etc.
Flag
I will add... 3 of my favorite scenes LAST season involved Mac with her yellow legal pad
#3 - Her intro in the Pilot (in the auditorium)
#2 - By the elevator in the Pilot, where we learn that she was actually there and Will literally JUST missed out on a cool moment if only she could find the page fast enough.

#1 - When Mac finally shows the legal pad... because we see a touching moment, the music starts to swell that "this is it..." and BAM. Will reacts with a WHY THE H didn't you tell me!?!?! I thought I was hallucinating! bla bla bla. Just the way they set it up and smashed it down was funny.
Flag
Cutting your own hair, in and of itself, probably isn't a sign of being disturbed or troubled. A lot of people trim their own hair when it gets a bit long... my brother shaved his whole head once when he wanted to try going bald (and I'm pretty sure he wasn't disturbed at the time)... I knew a girl who when she wanted a "messy" hair-style (kind of like Maggie's) she cut her own hair because she felt id doesn't take a "stylist" to make something messy.

But when cutting your own hair is accompanying a fairly traumatic event, that's a sure sign of some disturbance.

Anyway, the episode was fun. The proposal was a bit hokey or tacky, but it was fine overall. I did like that their kiss wasn't very Hollywood-y, in that it seemed a bit awkward and uncomfortable in some ways (Hollywood usually makes big kisses look so perfect). Slons' (euw, I'll never use that couple-name again) kiss was cute. The exchange with Charlie and Reese was cute, too, even though Reese's decision was obviously obvious.
Flag
Agreed - cutting your hair yourself is probably not that big a deal, though going from long lockes to short punk does cause one to wonder w t h happened.

But it accompanying something traumatic, or even just a big emotional period, is often cause for concern.

I mean, some people were afraid Britney Spears was going to off herself after her meltdown followed-by her shaving her head. I think that's where they were going with this.
Flag
– What did you like the most about Season 2?

My favorite aspect of the season was how they continued to turn Don Keefer's character around. At times back in Season 1 they depicted him as kind of a jerk. He had his reasons and overall I liked his character enough but he wasn't THAT likable.

Flash forward to this season, and he's one of the most likable guys on the show. He's considerate and helpful, endearing to Sloan, INCREDIBLY civilized about the whole Jim / Maggie YouTube debacle, and overall a nice guy.

My favorite scene? Probably Sloan kicking the crud out of her ex-boyfriend. And it's not even a "Solidarity / Girl Power" thing... I'm a guy... but I HATE it when jerks (of any gender) exploit someone else. A revenge-slam after something so vitriolic is one of the few instances I approve so Sloan's revenge was (in my opinion) just and deserved.
Flag
– Wasn't Mac's handling of that D.C. correspondent pretty awesome?

That DC correspondent is a real *itch. This is like the second time she's acted snotty, superior, and tried to go against Mac even though Mac was in control.

Which wouldn't be too bad, except she's only had 2 scenes in the entire show. Wanting to go against the bosses to be the ONE to report Bin Laden's capture, and now this whole thing. So... *itch.

Which is a shame because I liked the actress (Salli Richardson-Whitfield) from Eureka as Beverly. She rarely came across as *itchy on that show.

Plus Mac made a point... it was THEIR correspondent that caused the cluster-F in the first place and instead of acting superior she should probably be seeing if he did anything to one of THEIR reports.
Flag
but at some point Will has to stop savoring his victim status and just forgive Mac for something she did six years ago. That’s a long damn time. And if won't, Mac has to recognize that he's terrible.

I don't know, forgiveness is a personal thing. One person might forgive a specific act in days, another years, another never.

She cheated on him for 4 months, all-the-while he thought they were doing great. That's a big betrayal... some people can forgive it, some can't. Had it been a slip-up of 1-2 dates and or sleeping with the guy only once or twice... maybe. But she went on for 4 months.

She kind of explained herself well in this episode... it was at the start of their relationship before she realized how much she liked him and how serious they were about each other. That makes it a bit more forgivable... but some people might never get around that.

At least Will finally did in the end.
Flag
Fun tidbit: when I type Sorkin, my autocorrect changes it to SORKIN, every time. Probably cos I'm always screaming "SORKIN!!!!"
Flag
This show could be so much more. It could give the audience insight into how news media really work, but instead, just like its predecessor west wing, it prefers sugar coated bulldust with lashings of plain yellow household soap.
I just don't care who is up who and who is paying the rent in the ICN newsroom, why would I? I don't work there.

However I do keep hoping it will offer something more substantial than a bunch of over-educated bourgeois twats twisting themselves into knots while making allegedly 'difficult' choices
Cept choice A always has a huge black cloud over it, & a weird looking red faced dude with horns & cloven hooves stroking it, while alternative B is bathed in sweet sunlight with a heavenly choir trilling in the background as staunch but thoroughly loyal men & women firmly shake hands while grinning proudly at the camera.
Tough choice? Not like any I've ever seen in a newsroom where most choices are between A - the obviously selfish, destructive and dangerous yet likely to be bought by more punters than the other - choice B, which is a not as dangerous, & requiring a less egregiously selective pick of factoids to be told to the punters, who incidentally are certain to be fewer than those queuing up to buy option A.

Sugar coated bulldust doesn't make the media easier to accept, it is so obviously artificial that alla the cloying sentimentality & lame flag waving only makes news media seem more propagandistic to Joe Punter.

But seeing a bunch of ordinary peeps who don't walk & talk like they came outta a glossy magazine, wrestling between making an awful choice & a slightly less bad one, may provide Joe Punter with some much needed insight into news media & may even persuade him/her to cut them a little slack.
More+
Flag
And last season when they tried that, viewers started screaming FAIL / condescending / glorified elites / etc. I didn't agree with those statements, but they're free to make them.

Last season they spent a LOT of time talking about how FOX or CNN or whoever was reacting to a current crisis and how stupid their reactions were. Jumping the gun on terrorism-lining, ignoring the important news, ignoring the important questions to keep their guests happy, etc. They'd be explicit: news station X did Y and that's horrible.

BUT they also did it implicitly when we see that Charlie has to push back against the execs from trying to force him into doing those exact same things as well as (early) Don wanting to do those things just so they can keep their ratings and their jobs.

Last year they spent a lot of time on each big story saying "this is how FOX did it, this is how it SHOULD have been done" and too many viewers hated it. So, they started just dipping their toes in the real news stories and changed the focus to show one big made up story.

But people glossed over it. The same way that I had friends (in r/l) that ignored Will's entire rant leading up to the "Tea Party == Taliban" statement. How could he say that, that came out of nowhere, there's no justification And I'm like... were you LISTENING for the last 2 minutes? Where he listed each of the major things they have in common and hence the hyperboly-laden comparison?
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Oh, on hacking one's hair? I'd be interested to know how she got such volume at the top, since she started with straight as a pin (yes, jealous) hair.

Even professional hairstylists can't do that.

Can they?

Flag
Well, if it were ME... after chopping up my hair it probably would look like poop.

But even if it only looked kind of bad, I'd probably go to a stylist a few hours / days later and say "Fix this!" even IF I was dealing with emotional baggage at the time. In which case they'd even it out, gell it up, make it look like a punk rock think instead of a self mutilation thing.

Going off the deep end and trying something with your hair is one thing, even if your bosses will understand because you went through hell on their dime. But you wouldn't want it looking TOO bad because it's still a professional setting.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jane H.J. Fonda's plastic surgeon? Man/Woman Of The Year.

Sam W. - give the man an Emmy. Not even nominated, right? Right.

Hamish - bad move, bro, leaving this excellent show for the steaming pile of dog poop you left this show for.

Jim? Get a freakin' haircut.

Let us never ever hear about the Africa storyline again. Thank you.

Thanks, Ryan, for your reviews.
Flag
Yeah, Jim! When they flashed back to your introduction, your hair looked so much better then.
Flag
The best part of season 2 for me was when they remembered the title of the show, focusing on the newsroom over the soap opera makes episodes so much stronger.
Flag
The problem is, you can't make everyone happy. Back in season 1 you had people that liked their "take" on world events from a year ago and how they focused on it, and hated the personal drama.

Then you had people with the opposite point of view... that found the looking back at old news with fresh eyes a bit condescending and wanted to focus more and on soapy relationships.

I mean honestly, the show was getting flack from every single direction last year. Much of it from people that don't like or "get" Sorkin and people that were just offended by the Daily Show messages in the more-serious tone.
Flag
That is fair enough, but the balance was clearly off in this season when you consider the title of the show, it probably doesn't help matters when a fair amount of the soapy stuff involves Maggie who is the worst character in the show by a long way.
Flag
I've very much liked both seasons.

Then again, I was reeling from the shock of the worst television show in the history of television at 9:00pm when I saw The Newsroom at 10:00pm.

And, I could watch Sam Waterston act with the sound turned off, but that's just me.
Flag
I enjoyed both very much, but you can't deny much of the show's "flow" changed between S1 and S2. Many are assuming this was to placate the viewers that were screaming at writing decisions they didn't agree with.

Heck, no offense to the TV.com staff but I recall some reviews last year being unnecessarily scathing.
Flag
I loved season 1. I loved season 2 even more. The flash-forward beginning really set a tone for discoveries and consequences, and KNOWING the story would fail up front really added intrigue for me. Leona's 'GET IT BACK' ending was a major fist-pump moment in my book, and the season finale was just full of them. Can't wait for season 3!
Flag
To answer the questions :)
- Unless you're artistic or a hairdresser, cutting your own hair in such a dramatic way, means you're freaking out.
- Mac is a pro. I wish I handled stuff like that so well. Usually I make a mess and spend the rest of the week thinking it over. Even if I know those people are being dicks DURING the discussion. I still add oil to the fire.
- They were both good.
- The whole Genoa farse. How terribly bad can things go no matter how well you prepare. I think that's how rulers feel. Making decisions based on what they believe are good enough facts. Cause you really never can be 100% sure. Even if you mean really well.
- I'm a girl. I liked the kisses.
Flag
I liked the kisses.

I did too. And hoo boy, a $250K ring? Yowza.
Flag
Mac was just guessing and perhaps using some hyperbole... but what was funny was Will claimed not to know. I mean, this super-expensive thing he bought as a gag gift and didn't know the ticket price.

It's like back in Season 1 when Mac realizes Will was willing to take a MASSIVE pay cut to be able to fire her on-demand and her response was something like Jeez, how rich ARE you!?!?
Flag
Well, he has money and it seems to matter nothing to him (he was, after all, also paying a dead shrink for ages), because he is so very lonely. I never bought the ring story, though, how he meant to hurt her with it. She didn't either. He never managed to prove that he's a bad person. Only that he thinks and thought about her every day.
Flag
I actually liked season 1 better, I didn't like how the Genoa storyline spread across every single episode, I liked how season 1 was more self contained overall. I did enjoy seeing more Sloane and Don this year though, without Don basically being "Maggie's boyfriend" because it never seemed to me like they really wanted to be together that much. I also didn't like how they set up this to be a possible series finale just in case HBO doesn't renew it (because they haven't officially, have they?), but with True Blood ending I don't see why they'd let this go also.
Flag
They renrewed Newsroom for season 3 at the beginning of September.
Flag
all I remember was Jeff Daniels tweeting it but HBO hadn't actually renewed it yet
Flag
I also didn't like how they set up this to be a possible series finale

I noticed that too.

Let's hope HBO has more brains than the writers of Dexter.
Flag
Maybe, if you're a girl. I cut my own hair to save time and trouble. If I'm disturbed it's been a pretty slow descent into madness coz I've been doing it for at least 15 years.
Flag
Aaron Sorkin did for news what he did for government. He painted a picture of an ideal world of virtuous people doing what they would be doing in an ideal world where pride, service to the public and professionalism still reign. And he makes it fun to watch. I lost my youthful idealism. Aaron Sorkin never lost his and I appreciate that.
Flag
That is so well put. I like to think I can still find the youthful idealism in myself from time to time, and I honestly think I can thank Aaron Sorkin for that. Watching The Newsroom or The West Wing really makes me want there to be people like Josiah Bartlet or Sam Seaborn or Will McAvoy in the world.
Flag
The whole Lisa thing seemed to come out of no-where, it was handled poorly, but the rest of the episode was very very good.

The Don/Sloan kiss was epic and I've been waiting for it all season.

I just hope that they don't drop the plot threads from this season in the next like the did with the jump from season 1 to 2 (whatever happened to that hacker/death threat plot? the NSA spying thing, that's something they need to bring back).

On the question about cutting your hair, no it doesn't automatically make you mentally disturbed, but hacking away at your hair with a pair of scissors while having other issues is a big old warning sign. In fact IIRC actions like that can be a precursor to self-harming.

Flag
Is this really that good? What would you compare it with? Is it soapy or episode per episode?
Flag
The West Wing, but not as good.
Flag
Thanks bro!
Flag
Does anyone know if it was renewed for season 3? I love this show and hope they keep going. The finale felt almost too happy with everything going right but I won't complain it was fun to watch.
Flag
Yes indeed, it was renewed at the beginning of September for season 3. I'm relieved that we won't be saying farewell to these characters just as they're hitting their stride. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jeff-daniels-newsroom-returning-season-620110
Flag
Oh phew. Thanks.
Flag
"but at some point Will has to stop savoring his victim status and just forgive Mac for something she did six years ago."

I'm pretty sure that happened when he admitted what he'd done. When he proposed to her, that sealed it.
Flag
Agreed. He forgave her, so he decided to put them on equal footing so they could move forward.
Flag
This second season was truly awesome, a big improvement over the first, and I loved that one, too.
Flag
Newsroom - the show that Dexter wishes it could be.

Excellent finale.
Flag
Haha, all this post did was make me picture Dexter as a news anchor rather than a forensics blood analyst. It'd get real awkward when he starts talking to Harry while he's live on TV.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members