The Newsroom

First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 14, 2013 on HBO

• Solid season opener, slightly disappointing single episode

The Newsroom First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers opens up 14 months after the end of Season One in a scene which Will sits down with a group of ACN's lawyers to discuss the series of events that led them to cover a questionable news story (the show's first fictionalized story).

Although it appears this bookend flashback setup is going to be used throughout the season, most of the events take place just weeks after Will goes on the air and calls the Tea Party the American Taliban. The resulting cold shoulder gets ACN locked out of important broadcasting meetings on the hill, less access to Republican presidential nominees, and gets Will pulled from the 9/11 anniversary show by Charlie.

Although we get an awful lot of talk about drones the season premiere isn't really built around a single news story as its more concerned with setting up three season long arcs involving Occupy Wall Street, "Operation Genoa," and the continued fallout from Will's relentless attacks on the presiding members of Congress.

You can find my full recap and review (with pics and video) at RazorFine