The Newsroom Forums

HBO (ended 2014)

News Night 2.0 or West Wing 2.0 ?

Gully_Foyle

[1]Aug 13, 2012
    • level: 3

Is it just me or do bits of the The Newsroom feel like Sorkin has been doing a copy and paste job from his old West Wing scripts?

Last nights episode had fair amount focused on the Republican Primary debate and how the debate format needs to be change so that politicians have to give real answers to questions, also seen in the West Wing seasons 3, 6 & 7. I know Sorkin left the West Wing season 4 but the debate format episodes in season 6 & 7 were pretty much re-runs of the season 3 stuff.

There lots of other little things as well, including Mohammed al Mohammed el Mohammed bin Bizir making it out of "20 Hours in America" and finding his way over to "News Night 2.0" as if all Islamic terrorists share the same name.

I know recycling is supposed to be good for the enviroment but this is starting to feel like it's just lazy.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MortenRnnel

[2]Aug 14, 2012
    • level: 2

It's on purpose, as is the repeat of several one-liners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI

(Video: "Sorkinism - A Supercut")

Gully_Foyle

[3]Aug 14, 2012
    • level: 3

MortenRnnel wrote:

It's on purpose, as is the repeat of several one-liners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI

(Video: "Sorkinism - A Supercut")

There's two different things; inside jokes which can be great if you get them such as Nathan Fillion dressing up as space cowboy at a Halloween party on Castle. Now I haven't seen the mock debate episode yet, but as soon as we got the line about "changing debates for ever" I've been expectingone of the characters to launch into a variation of "Two-minute response followed by a one-minute reply. That's not a debate. That's not a debate! It's a joint press conference."after the falling ceiling and the Walken line and Mohammed el etc etc it just feels inevitable that Sorkin is going to put the joint press conference line in next weeks episode and that is lazy writing.