The Newsroom Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Why add absurdity?

reb124

[1]Aug 20, 2012
    • level: 2

I really enjoy the news issues that are brought to the show. But why add slapstick to the program. The scene last night with Jeff Daniels trying to get his pants on while in the newsroom was absolutely stupid. It diminishes the show's integrity. What was Sorkin thinking?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

carpe-dm

[2]Sep 22, 2012
    • level: 3
    I agree that the pants clip was ridiculous. The episode where Jim kept getting hit by doors was nearly as bad. Sorkin is my favorite screenwriter, but his slapstick is hit-and-miss (sorry for the unfortunate pun.)

kanniballl

[3]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 18

It's typical Aaron Sorkin. Every now and then, though not often, he likes to make a big wind up / set up for a slapstick gag. It's usually preceeded by a really long and obvious lead-in. West Wing, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, etc.

One of my favorite moments in the West Wing; I think "A Bad Moon Rising"

Oliver Babish (played by Oliver Platt) made a big wind up about two items on his desk. One, how an oversized gavel (judge's mallet) was special to him and given to him by a specific judge. And Two, how he hated the broken Dictaphone that never turned off... because he said (sarcastically) "a recorder that can't stop recording couldn't possibly be bad in the White House." Or something to that nature.

A second later the president walks in and says that he needs to talk to him about whether or not he illegally misled the public into voting for him by lying about his health.

There's a pause and a moment of panick in Oliver's face.

He then picks up the mallet and SMASHES the Dictaphone... while the president has a W T F look on his face.

Edited on 12/04/2012 12:27pm