The Next Food Network Star

Enticing and Easy with Bon Appetit

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 29, 2008 on Food Network

• The aspiring chefs had to make a dish with 6 ingredients, but the twist was that someone else had to describe it. Then in the elimination teams of two had to make difficult dishes in 45 minutes that a home cook could do.

The dishes they did in the first challenge looked great, I thought all of them did a very good job. When you had to describe a dish that you had never seen on camera was hard, but Shane did it quite well. Jenn on the other hand had no clue that the udon noodles were not linquini, even I with my meat and potatoes palate can tell that difference.
    Then having to make complicated dishes in 45 minutes was a real challenge. I think the hardest one to do would be turducken, and the easiest one would be the chicken dish, because you could have used a pressure cooker to infuse the wine and bacon taste into the chicken and it would have made it much more like the stew like dish it is. The way the beef Wellington was done was innovative and not that hard.
    Jenn and Adam struggled in the kitchen in both. Jenn made a very bad presentation and then broke a bottle near the cooking surface, a real stupid and rookie move, you never hit a glass bottle near food prep, never, ever. She almost ruined the whole dish, and then her not getting the sauce done was a disaster, even a overly herbed sauced is better than none. Jenn went home, Adam has his bags packed and will either be next or Aaron. It looks like the final 3 will be Lisa and the two rookies. Lisa has the most experience and skill, but any one of them is watchable, not like the first year or last year when no one watched the shows, no charisma.