The Next Food Network Star

Iron Chef Showdown

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 08, 2007 on Food Network

• This twist brought my favorite show into play. I am fan of the original Iron Chef and somewhat of the new show. To use that as a format for an elimination was different and exciting.

I liked the way the show was done for the most part. One set of teams battled while the other were commentators.
    The only thing that was hard to watch was the selection of the sous chefs, when Jag got his, it put him at a huge disadvantage.
    I think Jag was superb as a commentator and I can attribute that to the fact he has the most skills in the kitchen. Paul and Amy made a nice set of dishes, but Amy was better. When they traded places Amy and Paul were not very good as commentators, and Paul was definitely not impressive. Rory also did not do a good job, so for the commentator part of the challenge Jag one hands down.
    When Jag and Rory had to cook, I was hoping he would shine, but the comments made by the Food Network on the Alton Brown episode were still fresh in his ears, about how is dishes were too complex for the audience and he toned it down to simple dishes, and that is not Jag. I do think Jag do the right thing by having his sous chef peel potatoes and keep her out of the kitchen.
    Did Jag deserve to go, no. I think behind the scenes they looked long and hard at themselves and had to take some of the responsibility for the dishes Jag put out. Paul is still learning but has not adapted as well in front of the camera as Jag.
    Who will win, I think it is a toss up between Jag and Amy, and it depends on how they do on the next episode. I think Jag has a lot more skill, has fire and passion, and I think Amy has skills but may not be of the right mindset to be away from her family or relocate her family to the New York area, and Rory, just does not make it for me.
    Jag has fire and if he gets a show, they will let some of that show on the screen, even the bad parts, because that is part of him. If you ever watch Rachel Rays 30 minute meals, you see her make mistakes.
    After last years selection, they definitely will have a better person for a show if either Jag or Amy wins. My question is what is it with Guy's spiked hair, that is so distracting.
  • i still support Amy...

So after half of the season is over I have the same feeling about the possible future stars that I felt at the start. That is, I want Amy to win. If she were to win I would defiantly watch her show. If JAG were going to win, I would not watch his show. I am not sure about Rory, at the start I didn’t like her, but now I am not sure. I really hope that Amy keeps going the way that she is going. So far she has been close to the top wither winning or being one of the first told that she is safe. Come on Amy – keep it up!!
  • The remaining finalists compete as iron chefs

The competition heats up as the four finalists are pitted against each other in a semi scaled down version of Iron Chef. As in the popular show “Iron Chef America” or “Iron Chef” the chefs are allowed their own Sous Chefs and in this case the past finalists are called back for support. In the first battle the secret ingredient was striped sea bass with chef Paul versus chef Rory, with Jag and Amy as commentators. This battle was very close in comparison with great food from both sides and the commentators, JAG and Amy, did an over the top performance through this battle. If I was to choose a winner I would go with Paul and his budget priced view of simple food for all. Now onto the next lacking battle of poultry with chef Amy and JAG, with Paul and Rory as underdeveloped/ prepared commentators. In this battle Amy won by far with none of the judges liking any of JAG’s dishes, bring JAG down a few pegs by getting completely humiliated on his favorite show. This challenge was by far the toughest as of yet and by far the most tear jerking, with the below the belt criticism by the judges. In the end the two on the cutting block was JAG and Paul. With the judges at a loss of words these two are giving a few seconds to explain themselves. It was a bitter elimination as we said goodbye to one of my favorites on this show, and the reason I stayed with this show so long. Paul was sent packing and it brought me and the other finalists to tears as he said his goodbyes. If I was a predicting person the winner is going to be, if not Paul now, JAG because out of the other two the only one I can picture having and maintaining his own show, he just has to manage his attitude problem.

Next week the remaining finalists are given the task of cooking on the Rachel Ray Show, with Rachel Ray of course, so this is an episode not to miss. 8.5/10 – Decent episode but a very terrible decision by the judges.